100mbit only when docked?

Rubin Abdi
I have an X220 running Debian Sid and one of those ultra mini 3 docks. I just noticed that e1000e can't negotiate anything beyond 100mbit when plugged in through the dock. If I plug it using the same cable/switch into the ethernet port on my laptop without the dock I can get 1000mbit without truoble.

Anyone else notice this?

--
Rubin

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Jeffrey L. Taylor-9
When plugged into the dock, you are not using the Ethernet chip in the
laptop.  You are using the chip in the dock.  Same for the sound and the
video.  On my T520, the chip is a ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772A Fast
Ethernet.  lsusb only reports support for 10Mb and 100Mb Ethernet.  Fast
Ethernet seems to be 100Mb.  Other chips support Gigabit Ethernet.

HTH,
  Jeffrey

Quoting Rubin Abdi <[hidden email]>:
> I have an X220 running Debian Sid and one of those ultra mini 3 docks. I just noticed that e1000e can't negotiate anything beyond 100mbit when plugged in through the dock. If I plug it using the same cable/switch into the ethernet port on my laptop without the dock I can get 1000mbit without truoble.
>
> Anyone else notice this?
>
> --
> Rubin

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Rubin Abdi
Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote on 2015-03-22 17:02:
> When plugged into the dock, you are not using the Ethernet chip in the
> laptop.  You are using the chip in the dock.  Same for the sound and the
> video.  On my T520, the chip is a ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772A Fast
> Ethernet.  lsusb only reports support for 10Mb and 100Mb Ethernet.  Fast
> Ethernet seems to be 100Mb.  Other chips support Gigabit Ethernet.

I don't actually see any new ethernet USB device after plugging into the dock, and I retain my previous mac address from when I'm plugged into the ethernet port directly on the laptop. As far as I can tell it's the same ethernet interface for both docks and not docked (other than the 100mbit/1000mbit issue).

The dock that I have connects to the laptop through the docking port on the bottom of the laptop and not through USB, for what it's worth.

--
Rubin

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh-2
On Sun, Mar 22, 2015, at 19:11, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> I have an X220 running Debian Sid and one of those ultra mini 3 docks. I
> just noticed that e1000e can't negotiate anything beyond 100mbit when
> plugged in through the dock. If I plug it using the same cable/switch
> into the ethernet port on my laptop without the dock I can get 1000mbit
> without truoble.
>
> Anyone else notice this?

Thinkpad docks are not supposed to introduce so much noise as to force
the gigabit-ethernet PHY to negotiate down to fast-ethernet.  Chances
are high that something is wrong with your hardware.

Is your CAT-5e cabling and patch-cords marginal? The added noise of the
dock might push it too far in that case...

  Henrique Holschuh

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Rubin Abdi
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote on 2015-03-23 03:28:
> Thinkpad docks are not supposed to introduce so much noise as to force
> the gigabit-ethernet PHY to negotiate down to fast-ethernet.  Chances
> are high that something is wrong with your hardware.

Yeah I'm starting to feel like maybe the dock is toasted.

So the dock at home is a 433815U (ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 with USB 3.0 - 90W) which looks like...

https://the620guy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/20141024-Len-4338-15-04X4682-USB-3.0-5.jpg

I'm at work now plugged into a 433710U (ThinkPad Mini Dock Series 3 - 90W)...

http://www.quickship.com/images/computer_accessories/lenovo-433710u-thinkpad-mini-dock-series-3-pic1.jpg

My work dock can negotiate gigabit without issue. So I guess this means that something's up with my home dock. :(

> Is your CAT-5e cabling and patch-cords marginal? The added noise of the
> dock might push it too far in that case...

I've tried my home dock with 4 different ethernet cables and 3 different switches. They all couldn't pull gigabit through the dock but worked fine when plugged in directly.

--
Rubin

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Florian Reitmeir
Hi,

On 03/23/2015 08:12 PM, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> I've tried my home dock with 4 different ethernet cables and 3 different switches. They all couldn't pull gigabit through the dock but worked fine when plugged in directly.
did you try.. disabling TLP? or other power save scripts.. there are
some out which reduce the speed of the lan port to 100mbit..

did you try setting the speed with ethertool?

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Richard Neill-3

On 24/03/15 20:09, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/23/2015 08:12 PM, Rubin Abdi wrote:
>> I've tried my home dock with 4 different ethernet cables and 3 different switches. They all couldn't pull gigabit through the dock but worked fine when plugged in directly.

Is it possible that the dock's RJ45 connector is slightly damaged? I've
seen this problem with some very expensive (and badly made) network
ports for wall-mounting, which only last about 20 insertion cycles
before some of the springs bend.

Try repeatedly running ethtool, while wiggling the end of the cable, or
inspect the socket very carefully.

Richard

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Rubin Abdi
Florian Reitmeir wrote on 2015-03-24 13:09:
> did you try.. disabling TLP? or other power save scripts.. there are
> some out which reduce the speed of the lan port to 100mbit..

With TLP disabled...

Mar 29 15:50:42 lines kernel: [13244.082537] e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx
Mar 29 15:50:42 lines kernel: [13244.082550] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO
Mar 29 15:50:42 lines NetworkManager[975]: <info> (eth0): link connected

Not running laptop-mode anymore.

> did you try setting the speed with ethertool?

$ sudo ethtool eth0 | grep -B 4 1000
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
$ sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000
Cannot advertise speed 1000

Richard Neill wrote on 2015-03-24 13:39:
> Is it possible that the dock's RJ45 connector is slightly damaged?
> I've seen this problem with some very expensive (and badly made)
> network ports for wall-mounting, which only last about 20 insertion
> cycles before some of the springs bend.

On visual inspection the port looks just fine.

> Try repeatedly running ethtool, while wiggling the end of the cable,
> or inspect the socket very carefully.

It spits out the cannot advertize message almost immediately after I hit return on my keyboard, which makes me feel like maybe there's something else going on preventing gigabit?

--
Rubin

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Richard Neill-3

> On visual inspection the port looks just fine.

It's not always easy to see this kind of damage to the springs.

>> Try repeatedly running ethtool, while wiggling the end of the cable,
>> or inspect the socket very carefully.
>
> It spits out the cannot advertize message almost immediately after I hit return on my keyboard, which makes me feel like maybe there's something else going on preventing gigabit?

You can check the hardware and cables of most ethernet devices by using
TDR (time-domain reflectrometry). This sends pulses up the cable, and by
timing it back, you can find which core is broken, and how
far away the break is. Annoyingly, I've never seen a Linux driver for
this, but many thinkpad BIOSes support it as an advanced option within
the network settings.

HTH,

Richar

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Christoph Schmees
Am 30.03.2015 um 01:38 schrieb Richard Neill:
> You can check the hardware and cables of most ethernet devices by using
> TDR (time-domain reflectrometry). This sends pulses up the cable, and by
> timing it back, you can find which core is broken, and how
> far away the break is. Annoyingly, I've never seen a Linux driver for
> this, but many thinkpad BIOSes support it as an advanced option within
> the network settings.

to my knowledge TDR is pure hardware, and not even computer but
high sophisticated electronics. Nothing w/ BIOS or Linux.

Christoph

--
Bitte keine Mails von USA-Providern wie AOL, me.com (Apple),
gmail (Google), hotmail/outlook.com (Microsoft) oder yahoo.

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

James Knott
On 04/07/2015 05:54 AM, Christoph Schmees wrote:
> to my knowledge TDR is pure hardware, and not even computer but
> high sophisticated electronics. Nothing w/ BIOS or Linux.

You can make a TDR with an oscilloscope and a pulse generator.

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Richard Neill-4
On 07/04/15 10:54, Christoph Schmees wrote:
> Am 30.03.2015 um 01:38 schrieb Richard Neill:
>> You can check the hardware and cables of most ethernet devices by using
>> TDR (time-domain reflectrometry).
>
> to my knowledge TDR is pure hardware, and not even computer but
> high sophisticated electronics. Nothing w/ BIOS or Linux.

Hi Christoph,

I recall using this in a R60 some time ago. The Network card has the
hardware built in (I think it was part of the Broadcom PHY), and it was
a neat (though quite deeply hidden) option within the BIOS diagnostics
to test cables - and indeed, I used it to find the break in a very long
cat 5 cable (it located it, correctly, within 50cm in a 65m cable run).
The R60 also had support for doing this within the network driver's
advanced tests in Windows. Sadly, Linux didn't support it.

Richard

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

Rubin Abdi
So for what it's worth I've tested this on a number of different ethernet cables of various lengths, and a few different switches. All with the same results. If it's plugged into the dock then linux only negotiates as fast as 100mbit, while plugging into the the X220 itself (not attached to the dock) or via a USB3 gigabit dongle plugged into the USB3 port on the dock, I can get up to gigabit.

--
Rubin

Re: 100mbit only when docked?

James Knott
On 04/08/2015 01:25 PM, Richard Neill wrote:
> I recall using this in a R60 some time ago. The Network card has the
> hardware built in (I think it was part of the Broadcom PHY), and it
> was a neat (though quite deeply hidden) option within the BIOS
> diagnostics to test cables - and indeed, I used it to find the break
> in a very long cat 5 cable (it located it, correctly, within 50cm in a
> 65m cable run). The R60 also had support for doing this within the
> network driver's advanced tests in Windows. Sadly, Linux didn't
> support it.

That still requires hardware to do the testing.  Software alone won't do
it.  I mentioned it was possible to make a TDR with just a 'scope and
pulse generator.  That is entirely possible, but modern instruments use
software to control TDR and analyze the results.  With the basic TDR I
mentioned, you'd have to do that yourself.  For example, many years ago,
I worked in a telecommunications company where open wire lines were
still in use.  A common practice was to have a lineman go out along the
line to introduce faults.  The tech would then record where on the
'scope waveform that fault appeared.  That info would then be used
later, to help locate real faults.  A modern instrument will give you an
accurate distance automagically.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015, at 06:54, Christoph Schmees wrote:

> Am 30.03.2015 um 01:38 schrieb Richard Neill:
> > You can check the hardware and cables of most ethernet devices by using
> > TDR (time-domain reflectrometry). This sends pulses up the cable, and by
> > timing it back, you can find which core is broken, and how
> > far away the break is. Annoyingly, I've never seen a Linux driver for
> > this, but many thinkpad BIOSes support it as an advanced option within
> > the network settings.
> >

> to my knowledge TDR is pure hardware, and not even computer but
> high sophisticated electronics. Nothing w/ BIOS or Linux.

This hardware is included in several NIC/PHY chipsets.  AFAIK Linux lacks the driver functionality and the userspace/kernel ABI to expose it to userspace, but I could be wrong about this (I didn't hunt it down in Linux 4.0-rc to double-check).

The BIOS diagnostics code in several ThinkPads as well as some of the Windows drivers, OTOH, do have code to interface to the PHY's TDR probe, and do expose the functionality.

  Henrique Holschuh