Anyone play with an X250 yet?

Rubin Abdi
Hello and welcome to yet another installment of "Let's chew the fat on how crappy the newest Thinkpad is!" I'm your host Rubin.

Has anyone gotten an X250 yet? How well is it playing with Linux?

The only shortcomings I can see with this machine is simply the lack of a second ram slot.

And I ask because SMART just complained about one of the two drives in my X220 and if I'm going to be replacing drives I might as well restore from a backup to a new system all together.

--
Rubin

Re: Anyone play with an X250 yet?

Evgeni Golov-3
On 04/13/2015 07:00 PM, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> Hello and welcome to yet another installment of "Let's chew the fat
> on how crappy the newest Thinkpad is!" I'm your host Rubin.
>
> Has anyone gotten an X250 yet? How well is it playing with Linux?

Yves-Alexis did:
 http://corsac.net/X250/

Seems pretty decent to me.

Greets
Evgeni

Re: Anyone play with an X250 yet?

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
On lun., 2015-04-13 at 21:23 +0200, Evgeni Golov wrote:

> On 04/13/2015 07:00 PM, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> > Hello and welcome to yet another installment of "Let's chew the fat
> > on how crappy the newest Thinkpad is!" I'm your host Rubin.
> >
> > Has anyone gotten an X250 yet? How well is it playing with Linux?
>
> Yves-Alexis did:
>  http://corsac.net/X250/
>
> Seems pretty decent to me.
Definitely. Anything specific you'd like to know?

Yves-Alexis

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote on 2015-04-13 13:03:
> Definitely. Anything specific you'd like to know?

Thanks I really appreciated that write up.

Any chance have you gotten to play with the Intelligent Memory 16GB SO-DIMM?

On lun., 2015-04-13 at 23:24 -0700, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> Any chance have you gotten to play with the Intelligent Memory 16GB
> SO-DIMM?

I have no idea what it is, so the answer is likely “no”. I've loaded up
the laptop with 8GB RAM, and I'm unlikely to need more for the near
future. I can surely test some 16GB RAM stick if someone wants to
provide me with one, but I won't buy it myself.

Yves-Alexis

Re: Anyone play with an X250 yet?

Stefan Monnier
> The only shortcomings I can see with this machine is simply the lack
> of a second ram slot.

To me the main problem is the 16/9 aspect ratio which results in
a screen that's not tall enough, but a machine that's wider than I like.

Other than that, it's one of the nicer machines available, in my view
(tho only with the 1920x1080 screen, since 768 vertical pixels were
already insufficient back in the X30 days and are ridiculous nowadays).

        Stefan

PS: It seems that both the hard-disk as well as half of the battery now
require opening the machine for service, but since opening the machine
is reasonably easy (not super convenient, but if needed I could imagine
myself doing it in the middle of a long trip) I can live with it.

On jeu., 2015-04-16 at 16:32 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> PS: It seems that both the hard-disk as well as half of the battery now
> require opening the machine for service, but since opening the machine
> is reasonably easy (not super convenient, but if needed I could imagine
> myself doing it in the middle of a long trip) I can live with it.

To be honest, swapping the internal battery isn't something I'd do
often (or even at all). I already swapped the internal hard drive twice
(for personal reasons), and opening the base cover is not really
practical. On other ThinkPads (like X201s and X230) I did that quite
often to switch between different installs, that's definitely not
something I'd do on the X250.

Yves-Alexis

Re: Anyone play with an X250 yet?

Vivek Dasmohapatra-2
> require opening the machine for service, but since opening the machine
> is reasonably easy (not super convenient, but if needed I could imagine
> myself doing it in the middle of a long trip) I can live with it.

I wouldn't say reasonably easy. I'd say stupidly annoying and fiddly,
especially given how well designed it used to be. Still, given the
direction of travel from Lenovo of late, I can't say I'm surprised
that they found a new way to make things worse (I say this having just
had to do a HDD swap and finding myself incredibly annoyed).

Re: Anyone play with an X250 yet?

Vivek Dasmohapatra-2
While we're on the subject, why are the bracket, @ and # keys so small?
And where have the suspend/power/battery/disc/capslock/etc indicators gone?

Re: Anyone play with an X250 yet?

Matt Jenny
The indicators to the extent they used to be went away with the T*10/R*10/X220 series', The last to have what I would call "classic", like the T6x series are the T*00/R*00/X201 series'.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Vivek Dasmohapatra <[hidden email]> wrote:
While we're on the subject, why are the bracket, @ and # keys so small?
And where have the suspend/power/battery/disc/capslock/etc indicators gone?

Re: Anyone play with an X250 yet?

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
On lun., 2015-04-13 at 23:24 -0700, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez wrote on 2015-04-13 13:03:
> > Definitely. Anything specific you'd like to know?
>
> Thanks I really appreciated that write up.
>
> Any chance have you gotten to play with the Intelligent Memory 16GB SO-DIMM?

For what it's worth, latest bios update [1] brings official support for
16G memory on the X250.

Still untested for my part, but at least you get an official word from
Lenovo.

[1] https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/n10ur05w.txt

Yves-Alexis