Aw: [ltp] request to exchange

Axel Braun
> Message: 2
> From: Jules Octave <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 19:23:23 +0000
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [ltp] request to exchange
>
> --001a114239ceea9509054549b781
>
> I wish to know whether there is a service in Lenovo Organisation that can
> allow me to exchange my Lenovo x1 Carbon second gen to one that accomodate
> Linux operating system.

I doubt that Lenovo exchanges theis standard setup with a Linux-system - even if you pay them.
Better get a Live-Distribution of your preferred system to test in advance, or search the Net for a How-to or known issues for your machine.
If it is a brand new model, a rolling release like Tumbleweed may be the choice, as it has up-to-date drivers.

HTH
Axel

Re: request to exchange

Kenneth Dombrowski

FWIW, my x1 gen2 runs ubuntu flawlessly.  I think there was a problem with
debian, which is usually my first choice, but I forget the details

On 17-01-05 14:04 +0100, Axel Braun wrote:

> > Message: 2
> > From: Jules Octave <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 19:23:23 +0000
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [ltp] request to exchange
> >
> > --001a114239ceea9509054549b781
> >
> > I wish to know whether there is a service in Lenovo Organisation that can
> > allow me to exchange my Lenovo x1 Carbon second gen to one that accomodate
> > Linux operating system.
>
> I doubt that Lenovo exchanges theis standard setup with a Linux-system - even if you pay them.
> Better get a Live-Distribution of your preferred system to test in advance, or search the Net for a How-to or known issues for your machine.
> If it is a brand new model, a rolling release like Tumbleweed may be the choice, as it has up-to-date drivers.
>
> HTH
> Axel

Re: request to exchange

Steve Izma
On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 10:10:23AM -0600, Chris Schumann wrote:
> Subject: Re: [ltp] request to exchange
>
> My x1g1 and x1g3 run Fedora perfectly, too.

I got an X1g4 in December and found it very easy to install
Debian testing (stretch) on it. Debian stable is apparently more
difficult, according to the Debian wiki
<https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/X1%20Carbon%204thGen%20PCIe_SSD/jessie>.

I installed from a testing CD image copied to a USB key. The only
thing I added was the non-free firmware for the wireless
hardware.

I didn't bother keeping Windows, so I was installing onto an
essentially clean SSD.

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma                                [hidden email]
    Home:  35 Locust St., Kitchener ON        519-745-1313

Re: request to exchange

Bjørn Mork
Steve Izma <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 10:10:23AM -0600, Chris Schumann wrote:
>> Subject: Re: [ltp] request to exchange
>>
>> My x1g1 and x1g3 run Fedora perfectly, too.
>
> I got an X1g4 in December and found it very easy to install
> Debian testing (stretch) on it.

So did I when I got mine in July.

But I think this discussion is futile.  Whether a system can 'accomodate
XXX operating system' is highly subjective.  It depends on what you
expect.  No issues whatsoever?  I certainly cannot claim that even if
I'm more than happy with my X1g4.

The GPU will hang now and then for example.  A little annoying, but no
big deal to me.  It is reset by the driver and we're back in business.
And I don't think the fingerprint scanner is supported?  I don't really
care.  But someone else might.  Didn't order the touchscreen so I don't
know about that.  And there were still some issues with the LTE modem
back in July.  I believe we have those covered by now, but such late
fixes means that you need a pretty new kernel and modemmanager. Some
will prefer an older "stable" distro, seeing such upgrade requirements
as a problem.  Etc.

Jules would be better off trying to descibe which issues he consider
important, making the x1g2 unsuitable.  Maybe the issues are fixable?
And in any case, trying to find another system without specifying the
problem with the x1g2 is guaranteed to fail.

Bjørn