Backlight on X1C3 on Archlinux

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Backlight on X1C3 on Archlinux

Kai Hendry
Hi there,

My new Thinkpad X1C3 mostly works on Archlinux except for the backlight
/ brightness controls.
http://natalian.org/archives/2015/02/18/Archlinux_on_a_Lenovo_X1C3/

I noticed systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service. I think
that's just to save the current value.

I think I have the latest thinkpad module running.
http://ix.io/h7H

Still the brightness buttons don't work.

Should I just bind F5, F6 to xbacklight -dev 5 & xbacklight -inc 5
respectively?


Thanks!

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Backlight on X1C3 on Archlinux

Robert Tomsick


On Thu, Mar 26, 2015, at 10:00 AM, Kai Hendry wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My new Thinkpad X1C3 mostly works on Archlinux except for the backlight
> / brightness controls.
> http://natalian.org/archives/2015/02/18/Archlinux_on_a_Lenovo_X1C3/
>
> I noticed systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service. I think
> that's just to save the current value.
>
> I think I have the latest thinkpad module running.
> http://ix.io/h7H
>
> Still the brightness buttons don't work.
>
> Should I just bind F5, F6 to xbacklight -dev 5 & xbacklight -inc 5
> respectively?
>

AFAIK, the issue is that the X1C3 isn't fully supported by
thinkpad_acpi.  Or rather, it is, but thinkpad_acpi doesn't know that
yet. ;)

So on my box (admittedly running Fedora... but with a similar kernel) I
added the "force_load" option to force it to load... and viola!
Brightness worked.

YMMV.

-Rob
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Backlight on X1C3 on Archlinux

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
In reply to this post by Kai Hendry
On jeu., 2015-03-26 at 22:00 +0800, Kai Hendry wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My new Thinkpad X1C3 mostly works on Archlinux except for the backlight
> / brightness controls.
> http://natalian.org/archives/2015/02/18/Archlinux_on_a_Lenovo_X1C3/
>
> I noticed systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service. I think
> that's just to save the current value.
>
> I think I have the latest thinkpad module running.
> http://ix.io/h7H
>
> Still the brightness buttons don't work.

What does evtest report on the “Thinkpad Extra Buttons” device?


--
Yves-Alexis
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Backlight on X1C3 on Archlinux

Kai Hendry-2


On Fri, 27 Mar 2015, at 03:10 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> What does evtest report on the “Thinkpad Extra Buttons” device?

Does http://ix.io/h99 answer your question?

Testing doesn't seem to finish.


Thanks !
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Backlight on X1C3 on Archlinux

Kai Hendry
In reply to this post by Yves-Alexis Perez-2


On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, at 04:35 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> No I didn't. But actually you need to press some keys to check if
> they're displayed. Note that I was actually wrong, the  keys are usually
> reported by the “Video Bus” input device.

http://s.natalian.org/2015-04-04/1428133500_1912x1036.png

Ah, they are registered! But now how to make them work? Currently they
have no effect.



Kind regards,
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Backlight on X1C3 on Archlinux

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
On sam., 2015-04-04 at 15:47 +0800, Kai Hendry wrote:

>
> On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, at 04:35 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > No I didn't. But actually you need to press some keys to check if
> > they're displayed. Note that I was actually wrong, the  keys are usually
> > reported by the “Video Bus” input device.
>
> http://s.natalian.org/2015-04-04/1428133500_1912x1036.png
>
> Ah, they are registered! But now how to make them work? Currently they
> have no effect.
Yes, you need something in userspace to catch the keys event and adjust
the brightness level. Usually it's something like the power manager
(xfce4-power-manager) or the settings daemon (gnome-settings-daemon).
There might be alternatives but I don't know about them.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment