Battery does not charge at all T400

Toyam Cox
Hello,

I'm running a Lenovo T400 thinkpad, the battery is from 2010, and the battery cycle count (as reported through the tp_smapi module) is 331 cycles. So the battery is in reasonable condition, and the thinkpad itself is in good condition in all but caring the battery.

I do not know why, but despite buing plugged in, while the computer is on or off, the battry stays at 0$ charge. I cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state and get "idle" back .

Searching the archives (at least the ones since I've been subscribed) and google didn't turn up any information I can use to determine why my battery is so stubbornly not charging.

Yes, the battery is at 0%. I can unplug the laptop and watch the machine instantly poweroff.

Dump of /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0 follows.

Any help would be much appreciated,

----
charging_max_current
0
----
charging_max_voltage
0
----
chemistry
LION
----
current_avg
0
----
current_now
0
----
cycle_count
331
----
design_capacity
84240
----
design_voltage
10800
----
dump
c0 80 01 02 e0 41 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0 ca 00 80 c4 0b bc 2a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0 ca f6 0a 00 00 ff ff ff ff d0 0b 4b 01 -- 00
c0 ca e8 20 30 2a 31 00 61 3c 57 2b -- -- -- 00
c0 ca 53 41 4e 59 4f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0 ca 34 32 54 34 36 34 34 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0 ca 4c 49 4f 4e 00 86 98 04 00 00 00 00 00 00
c0 ca 31 5a 48 34 53 30 33 31 41 36 37 00 00 00
c0 ca 85 3c -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 00
c0 ca 01 0a 01 00 00 00 00 00 -- -- -- -- -- 00
c0 ca 42 86 98 04 00 00 51 0e 68 0e 03 0e 04 08
----
first_use_date
2010-04-05
----
force_discharge
0
----
group0_voltage
3587
----
group1_voltage
3688
----
group2_voltage
3665
----
group3_voltage
0
----
inhibit_charge_minutes
0
----
installed
1
----
last_full_capacity
28060
----
manufacture_date
2010-03-01
----
manufacturer
SANYO
----
model
42T4644
----
power_avg
0
----
power_now
0
----
remaining_capacity
0
----
remaining_charging_time
not_charging
----
remaining_percent
0
----
remaining_percent_error
1
----
remaining_running_time
not_discharging
----
remaining_running_time_now
0
----
start_charge_thresh
75
----
state
idle
----
stop_charge_thresh
80
----
temperature
28100
----
voltage
10940

Re: Battery does not charge at all T400

Christoph Schmees
Am 13.03.2016 um 07:28 schrieb Toyam Cox:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running a Lenovo T400 thinkpad, the battery is from 2010, and
> the battery cycle count (as reported through the tp_smapi module) is
> 331 cycles. So the battery is in reasonable condition, and the
> thinkpad itself is in good condition in all but caring the battery.
>
> I do not know why, but despite buing plugged in, while the computer
> is on or off, the battry stays at 0$ charge. I cat
> /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state and get "idle" back .
>
> Searching the archives (at least the ones since I've been
> subscribed) and google didn't turn up any information I can use to
> determine why my battery is so stubbornly not charging.
>
> Yes, the battery is at 0%. I can unplug the laptop and watch the
> machine instantly poweroff.

the battery is plain dead. The Li system degrades over time, usage
is not necessary. Fifteen years is extremely old. Get a new one and
be happy.

hth,
Christoph

--
Bitte keine Mails von USA-Providern wie AOL, me.com (Apple),
gmail (Google), hotmail/outlook.com (Microsoft) oder yahoo.

Re: Battery does not charge at all T400

Paul Seelig-3
On 03/13/2016 07:28 AM, Toyam Cox wrote:
> battery cycle count (as reported through the tp_smapi module) is 331
> cycles. So the battery is in reasonable condition, and the thinkpad
> itself is in good condition in all but caring the battery.

I wouldn't call 331 cycles a death verdict yet, but it certainly is no
indicator for a battery being still in reasonable condition either.

I have had SANYO batteries with much less cycles die, while a Panasonic
produced in 2006-08-07 is still providing slightly half of its former
capacity of 84240 in spite of its 814 charge cycles. But only Panasonic
are known to have such an incredible longevity (with SONY being worst).

> I do not know why, but despite buing plugged in, while the computer is
> on or off, the battry stays at 0$ charge. I cat
> /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state and get "idle" back .

Does another battery charge fine on the same machine?

Try with another Thinkpad of the same generation or also a widescreen
14.1" T61, in order to exclude your T400 from being the main culprit.

> Yes, the battery is at 0%. I can unplug the laptop and watch the machine
> instantly poweroff.

When was the last time you ever used that battery? How many months did
it sit unused before? Chances are it has simply died while being deep
discharged during a too long period of not being used?

I once acquired a nice 14.1" T60 in excellent condition for just a
steal. The former owner forgot its power on password and just had it
lying around unused for some unknown amount of years before he decided
to give it away. When i finally received it, the Panasonic battery had
just a dozen charge cycles, but was dead as a brick. I tried charging it
continuously and uninterruptedly over a full week on a well known good
machine, hoping to miracuously resuscitate it, but to no avail.

Extended storage of laptop batteries without periodic charge control and
refresh simply kills them. Batteries in general are consumables that
eventually die after a more or less extended time of usage and simply
need to be replaced if it happens.

Hope you are still lucky, though.

Regards,
Paul

Re: Battery does not charge at all T400

cristian bono
good information about batteries

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Paul Seelig <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/13/2016 07:28 AM, Toyam Cox wrote:
> battery cycle count (as reported through the tp_smapi module) is 331
> cycles. So the battery is in reasonable condition, and the thinkpad
> itself is in good condition in all but caring the battery.

I wouldn't call 331 cycles a death verdict yet, but it certainly is no
indicator for a battery being still in reasonable condition either.

I have had SANYO batteries with much less cycles die, while a Panasonic
produced in 2006-08-07 is still providing slightly half of its former
capacity of 84240 in spite of its 814 charge cycles. But only Panasonic
are known to have such an incredible longevity (with SONY being worst).

> I do not know why, but despite buing plugged in, while the computer is
> on or off, the battry stays at 0$ charge. I cat
> /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state and get "idle" back .

Does another battery charge fine on the same machine?

Try with another Thinkpad of the same generation or also a widescreen
14.1" T61, in order to exclude your T400 from being the main culprit.

> Yes, the battery is at 0%. I can unplug the laptop and watch the machine
> instantly poweroff.

When was the last time you ever used that battery? How many months did
it sit unused before? Chances are it has simply died while being deep
discharged during a too long period of not being used?

I once acquired a nice 14.1" T60 in excellent condition for just a
steal. The former owner forgot its power on password and just had it
lying around unused for some unknown amount of years before he decided
to give it away. When i finally received it, the Panasonic battery had
just a dozen charge cycles, but was dead as a brick. I tried charging it
continuously and uninterruptedly over a full week on a well known good
machine, hoping to miracuously resuscitate it, but to no avail.

Extended storage of laptop batteries without periodic charge control and
refresh simply kills them. Batteries in general are consumables that
eventually die after a more or less extended time of usage and simply
need to be replaced if it happens

Hope you are still lucky, though.

Regards,
Paul

Sadly I don't have the hardware to independently test the T400 and the battery. I am willing to put down the money for a Panasonic battery for this machine, can you recommend a supplier?

I bet the battery died, as you suggested, from deep discharges and non usage. The former owner never did much with the battery, and I've only had the machine for about a month.

Thank you,

- Toyam

On 03/13/2016 04:32 PM, Toyam Cox wrote:
> battery. I am willing to put down the money for a Panasonic battery for
> this machine, can you recommend a supplier?

I am not aware of any particular recommendable supplier.

You didn't state where you are located, but then again with eBay and
Amazon this probably doesn't really matter anymore...

I'd make sure to not buy any 3rd party battery of unknown provenance and
quality. Many users have already been bitten by bad deals in this regard.

Personally, i would rather try find a genuine part manufacured for
Lenovo. Finding a battery actually manufacured by Panasonic is probably
the trickiest part of the equation. Do make sure to avoid SONY produced
batteries like the plague, they are well known to be rather shortlived.

My knowledge may be outdated as i am stuck at the T60/T61 generation of
Thinkpads (happy Frankenpad user here), but AFAIK since a few years
already Lenovo has started to blur the distinction between battery
models by using the same FRU for batteries of different manufacturers.

Try searching for "genuine battery T400" on eBay or Amazon and make sure
the seller confirms that he is actually selling no 3rd party parts
before buying. Another option might be to post a want to buy request on
the http://forum.thinkpads.com marketplace section.

Good luck!

Regards,
Paul

Re: Battery does not charge at all T400

Paul Seelig-3
Cristian, you might want to reconsider avoiding any needless full quote
in your replies. ;)

On 03/13/2016 05:31 PM, cristian bono wrote:
> try here
>
> http://m.ebay.com/itm/310405961879

Any specific reason why this would be recommendable? It may be cheap in
price, but won't the same probably also be valid regarding its quality?

To me, this looks exactly like the kind of battery lottery i had
previously advised to avoid.

There is a nice saying: If you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Regards,
Paul

Re: Battery does not charge at all T400

cristian bono