Best distro for 760XD

Mendel Cooper
I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.

Specs for the 760XD:
166 MHz Pentium MMX
64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
12" 1024x768 screen
2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)

The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.

Now, I could always install Red Hat 9, current as of 2-1/2 years ago,
but I'd rather do something a bit more up to date.

Damn Small Linux maybe?

What would you people recommend?

Thanks.

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Mendel Cooper
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)

I also want to ask about setting up sound and the built-in modem. Yep,
it's one of those funky Mwave DSP / MDSP2780 Winmodems. Will it work
with the standard Mwave driver? And, I've heard that sound under Linux
isn't supported. Hope that has changed.

Should have any problem with setting up X. Same Trident Cyber 9385
chip set as the 760XL, and that always played fine with Linux.

Again, Thanks.

Re: Best distro for 760XD

jeff-53
On Wednesday 30 November 2005 11:56 pm, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)

I used to run Mandrake on a 760EL. Stay with a light GUI and resource
friendly apps and whatever distro that you choose will be fine.

> The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.

Sourceforge has a bootloader that will let it boot from the cdrom. It is
called smart bootloader or something similar to that.

> Now, I could always install Red Hat 9, current as of 2-1/2 years ago,
> but I'd rather do something a bit more up to date.
>
> Damn Small Linux maybe?
>
> What would you people recommend?

DSL would be good. If you favor Debian based distros,  SimplyMepis Lite is
designed for older hardware too.

Jeff

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Michelle Klein-Hass
On Wednesday 30 November 2005 08:56 pm, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)
>
> The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.

Debian.

They have boot floppies that will start up a net install. And the boot
floppies have drivers for really common PCMCIA network cards like Intel or
Xircom.

This of course is contingent on a really common PCMCIA network card and a
broadband connection. However, it can and does work...worked on a 365X that
didn't even have a CD-ROM drive.
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Harry Popov
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 21:56 -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.

I waste a lot of time on TP760XL testing distros. Unfortunately new
distros are more resource hungry than Windows. The last which was still
usable was Mandrake 9.2 with XFCE.

I will recommend try Vector Linux. It is based on Slackware and worked
very quick and nice for me with a lot of functionality. And it is ready
to compile every thing you need.

I still keep my XFree 3.3.6 and sound configuration files for TP760XL.
If you think they will be of any use to you feel free to contact me
personally and I will send them.

Regards, Harry Popov

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Christopher Sawtell
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:56, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)
>
> The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.
>
> Now, I could always install Red Hat 9, current as of 2-1/2 years ago,
> but I'd rather do something a bit more up to date.
>
> Damn Small Linux maybe?
>
> What would you people recommend?
I have been running Gentoo [1] for about 2 years and would use that.
The mantra is:- "Choice and control".

Assuming that you have another somewhat more powerful machine with a CD-ROM
drive, and a network connection between the 760XD and the other machine.

You could boot the 760XD laptop machine using the BG-Rescue [2] 2 floppy
set. You could then load whatever software you like onto it. In contrast
to several other floppy-based Linux systems the chroot command in
BG-Rescue actually works correctly. Thus you can download an image of a
basic Linux such as he Gentoo stage 1 to the lappie and then change the
Linux root into that image from the floppy to complete the installation
process.

While Gentoo is not for the unsupported total neophyte, it is nothing like
as difficult to install as it is sometimes made out to be. It's definitely
not 'rocket science'. Before everybody jumps all over me whining and
whinging about compilation, there are binary packages for all the main
applications, besides which you can always compile applications on a
faster machine and transfer the resulting binary packages to the lappie.

I'd suggest a lightweight Desktop such as: FVWM [3]; or xfce [4]; etc., or
perhaps ratpoison [5] if you are a dedicated command line user forced to
have X-11 running by force of circumstance.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/
[2] http://www.giannone.de/
[3] http://www.fvwm.org/
[4] http://www.xfce.org/
[5] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RatPoison

hth - ymmv - have fun!

--
CS

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Richard Neill

Mendel Cooper wrote:

> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)
>
> The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.
>
> Now, I could always install Red Hat 9, current as of 2-1/2 years ago,
> but I'd rather do something a bit more up to date.
>
> Damn Small Linux maybe?
>
> What would you people recommend?
>
> Thanks.

I know that Mandriva can be installed from floppy+network (see the
readme for the installer). I imagine this is true for most other distros
too. See also:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_on_ThinkPads_without_CD-ROM_drive

I've just tried a similar problem - trying to install on a mini-itx box
with a 1GB CF card instead of an HDD. (of course, I have the advantage
of a faster processor, and lots of RAM, but the bloat is still the
same).  You can get a working Mandriva base system down to 400MB at
install time, which is smaller than any of the other major distros I
tried (Suse,Fedora and Ubuntu all crashed out of the installer by
running out of disk space, even using the smallest number of packages I
could select)

However, something like puppy linux or DSL may be a better choice. I
recall having used Zipslack some time ago.

I would suggest the following:

1)2GB of HDD is ample - or should be, provided that 1GB suffices for
your data.

2)Icewm is probably the best small window-manager. It's quite user
friendly - but *fast*.

3)Upgrade the RAM if you possibly can. [Datapoint: KDE on a P266 with
96MB of RAM is *just about* usable]

4)Smaller apps will give better performance. Eg Dillo is blazingly fast.

Best wishes,

Richard

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Charles E "RIck" Taylor IV
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 22:04 -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> > Specs for the 760XD:
> > 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> > 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> > 12" 1024x768 screen
> > 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)

> I also want to ask about setting up sound and the built-in modem. Yep,
> it's one of those funky Mwave DSP / MDSP2780 Winmodems. Will it work
> with the standard Mwave driver? And, I've heard that sound under Linux
> isn't supported. Hope that has changed.

I used to have a 760XD.  The only sounds I ever got out of the thing
were the system beep and CD sound from playing an audio CD in the CD
drive.

The docs for the mwave driver mention the 600 and 770. I don't think the
760XD was supported.  Guess I can't hurt to *try* it, but I don't
remember it doing anything useful on my 760XD.

> Should have any problem with setting up X. Same Trident Cyber 9385
> chip set as the 760XL, and that always played fine with Linux.

I had no problems with X.  Just no sound or modem.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <[hidden email]>

RE: Best distro for 760XD

Adrian Bastholm
Debian or Gentoo
/a

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering what
> would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104) 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)

I also want to ask about setting up sound and the built-in modem. Yep, it's
one of those funky Mwave DSP / MDSP2780 Winmodems. Will it work with the
standard Mwave driver? And, I've heard that sound under Linux isn't
supported. Hope that has changed.

Should have any problem with setting up X. Same Trident Cyber 9385 chip set
as the 760XL, and that always played fine with Linux.

Again, Thanks.

RE: Best distro for 760XD

Adrian Bastholm
Post Scriptum:
Debian is a bit easier at first, but Gentoo has a great website with lots of
help for newbies. I wold at least try Ubuntu as well, since it is based on
Debian. There are live CDs with both Ubuntu and Debian(see Knoppix) for you
to try.
/a

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering what
> would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104) 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)

I also want to ask about setting up sound and the built-in modem. Yep, it's
one of those funky Mwave DSP / MDSP2780 Winmodems. Will it work with the
standard Mwave driver? And, I've heard that sound under Linux isn't
supported. Hope that has changed.

Should have any problem with setting up X. Same Trident Cyber 9385 chip set
as the 760XL, and that always played fine with Linux.

Again, Thanks.

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Tino Keitel
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 21:56:37 -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)
>
> The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.

I managed to install Debian Woody (or Potato? I forgot...) from CD on
my 765L while booting from the floppy drive this way (from my memory):

1. Boot the install disk

2. Press Fn+F4 while the kernel loads, to trigger a suspend as soon as
   the kernel is loaded

3. When suspended, remove the floppy drive, insert the CD drive. This
   way, the kernel will recognize the CD drive

4. Resume from suspend, the kernel will boot now

5. When asked for the root floppy, suspend and re-insert the floppy
   drive

6. When asked for the CDs, suspend and re-insert the CD drive, continue
   the installation from the CDs

After this, you can upgrade to a newer Debian version.

Regards,
Tino

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Charles E "RIck" Taylor IV
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 22:04 -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:

> > Specs for the 760XD:
> > 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> > 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> > 12" 1024x768 screen
> > 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)

> I also want to ask about setting up sound and the built-in modem. Yep,
> it's one of those funky Mwave DSP / MDSP2780 Winmodems. Will it work
> with the standard Mwave driver? And, I've heard that sound under Linux
> isn't supported. Hope that has changed.

I used to have a 760XD.  The only sounds I ever got out of the thing
were the system beep and CD sound from playing an audio CD in the CD
drive.

The docs for the mwave driver mention the 600 and 770. I don't think the
760XD was supported.  Guess I can't hurt to *try* it, but I don't
remember it doing anything useful on my 760XD.

> Should have any problem with setting up X. Same Trident Cyber 9385
> chip set as the 760XL, and that always played fine with Linux.

I had no problems with X.  Just no sound or modem.

The screen is *quite* nice for a laptop of that age.  The keyboard - not
so much.

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Tino Keitel wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 21:56:37 -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> > The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> > Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> > This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.
>
> I managed to install Debian Woody (or Potato? I forgot...) from CD on
> my 765L while booting from the floppy drive this way (from my memory):
>
> 1. Boot the install disk
>
> 2. Press Fn+F4 while the kernel loads, to trigger a suspend as soon as
>    the kernel is loaded

Yes, I remember doing something like this once, maybe about 4 years
back, on a 760XL. It worked all right, but the machine made all sorts
of funny noises after awakening from suspend. Probably complaining about
the hardware being swapped out.

I also recall that loadlin.exe, run from a small DOS partition on the
hard drive, lets you start the installation from the CD. Usually. Probably
only works with older distros. I'll try Red Hat 9 from spring 2003.

And, thanks people, for all the advice and suggestions.

Mendel

Re: Best distro for 760XD

James Knott
Mendel Cooper wrote:

> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Specs for the 760XD:
> 166 MHz Pentium MMX
> 64M memory (could upgrade to 80M or 104)
> 12" 1024x768 screen
> 2 Gb HD (could upgrade to 3 or 4, if necessary)
>
> The main problem is that it can't boot from the CD drive.
> Can't have CD drive and floppy plugged in at the same time, either.
> This means I have to use something like loadlin.exe to boot from.
>
> Now, I could always install Red Hat 9, current as of 2-1/2 years ago,
> but I'd rather do something a bit more up to date.
>
> Damn Small Linux maybe?
>
> What would you people recommend?

The last Linux I put on a 760 was Red Hat 6??? or the contemporary
version of Mandrake.  This was over 5 years ago.  However, if you have
an ethernet NIC, you may be able to do a network install.  2GB is a bit
tight for a hard drive install.

Re: Best distro for 760XD

James Knott
Mendel Cooper wrote:
> I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.

Just a thought, given the limited resources, you may want to use it as
an X terminal on your home network.

Re: Best distro for 760XD

Christopher Sawtell
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:04, James Knott wrote:
> Mendel Cooper wrote:
> > I just picked up a 760XD Thinkpad for a few bucks. Just wondering
> > what would be the best Linux distro to install on it.
>
> Just a thought, given the limited resources, you may want to use it as
> an X terminal on your home network.

It'd make a good firewall machine also.

http://ipcop.sf.net/

--