Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Marcos
Hi,

I've just got a brand new original battery for my X61s but
it's not charging at all.  The battery LED is orange,
blinking since I plugged it.

By checking the information given by
/sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/* I confirm that the battery
is new (first_use_date equals today and cycle_count is 0) but
I also confirm that the battery is really old (manufacture_date
is 2007-09-12).

Also /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state is idle.

Does this means that my battery is dead?  Any other information
I should check?

Marcos

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

James Knott
On 02/20/2017 03:49 PM, Marcos wrote:
> I also confirm that the battery is really old (manufacture_date
> is 2007-09-12).
>
> Also /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state is idle.
>
> Does this means that my battery is dead?

Given it's age, I'd say it's a good possibility.  Computer batteries
tend to last only a few years, so one that's over nine years old is
probably gone.  If you recently bought that battery, you should return it.

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

cristian bono
test it on another laptop if possible

> On Feb 20, 2017, at 15:56, "Marcos" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just got a brand new original battery for my X61s but
> it's not charging at all.  The battery LED is orange,
> blinking since I plugged it.
>
> By checking the information given by
> /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/* I confirm that the battery
> is new (first_use_date equals today and cycle_count is 0) but
> I also confirm that the battery is really old (manufacture_date
> is 2007-09-12).
>
> Also /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state is idle.
>
> Does this means that my battery is dead?  Any other information
> I should check?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Marcos

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Marcos

A 2017-02-20 22:12, James Knott escrigué:

> Given it's age, I'd say it's a good possibility.  Computer batteries
> tend to last only a few years, so one that's over nine years old is
> probably gone.  If you recently bought that battery, you should return
> it.

Thanks for the quick answer.  I'm already in touch with the seller for
a replacement.

Best regards,
--
Marcos

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Marcos

A 2017-02-20 23:33, cristian bono escrigué:
> test it on another laptop if possible

Unfortunately I have no way to test it in another machine :(

Marcos

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

cristian bono

does it look like this
battery

image.png (662K) Download Attachment
ATT00001.txt (556 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Stefan Monnier
> By checking the information given by
> /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/* I confirm that the battery
> is new (first_use_date equals today and cycle_count is 0) but
> I also confirm that the battery is really old (manufacture_date
> is 2007-09-12).

IIRC the expected shelf life of a li-ion battery is fairly limited
(especially if kept in a hot environment, or if kept with very little
charge, IIRC), so it's quite possible that your 10 year old battery is
already dead.

        Stefan

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh-2
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > By checking the information given by
> > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/* I confirm that the battery
> > is new (first_use_date equals today and cycle_count is 0) but
> > I also confirm that the battery is really old (manufacture_date
> > is 2007-09-12).
>
> IIRC the expected shelf life of a li-ion battery is fairly limited
> (especially if kept in a hot environment, or if kept with very little
> charge, IIRC), so it's quite possible that your 10 year old battery is
> already dead.

It is possible for an *original* thinkpad battery to survive 10 years at
good condition, but *not* if it was forgotten on the shelf.

It takes:

1. Keeping it stored at ~10°C, non-condensing

2. Keeping it at 40-50% charge, so it needs to be partially recharged
   every so often.

I have a 9-cell for my T43 that was lightly used, and is stored like
that.  It is still at ~90% of design capacity, and it is 10 years old.

But I would expect it to degrade faster than usual if I start using it
for real.  Nanostructures in Li-ION degrade "just because"...

--
  Henrique Holschuh

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Marcos
Hi,

A 2017-02-25 21:58, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh escrigué:

> It is possible for an *original* thinkpad battery to survive 10 years
> at
> good condition, but *not* if it was forgotten on the shelf.
>
> It takes:
>
> 1. Keeping it stored at ~10°C, non-condensing
>
> 2. Keeping it at 40-50% charge, so it needs to be partially recharged
>    every so often.

Thanks for that information.  I seriously doubt it has been kept like
that.
I asked for a refund and they did so, but didn't want me to send the
battery back so.. They probably knew/assume it was/might be faulty.

I don't know if I can do something to try to bring it back to life...

Best regards,
--
Marcos

Re: Brand new (but old) battery not charging

Marcos
A 2017-02-21 09:46, cristian bono escrigué:
> does it look like this
> battery

Sorry I missed this email.

No, it's not like that.  It's an original Lenovo one.  FRU 93P5030

Best regards,
--
Marcos