Can I install Fedora 29 on a T42?

Beartooth

        I am not sanguine; F28 already gave trouble with two PC, both (I
think) newer than the T42; but hope springs eternal ...

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.

Re: Can I install Fedora 29 on a T42?

Christoph Schmees
Am 03.11.2018 um 18:31 schrieb Beartooth:

> I am not sanguine; F28 already gave trouble with two PC, both (I
> think) newer than the T42; but hope springs eternal ...

Mint runs smoothly on an ancient T40p and an A31p as well as younger
machines. My wife runs a X201, I carry a X220. For various customers
I installed Mint on quite recent machines as well. Never any flaw.

hth, Christoph

--
Bitte keine Mails von USA-Providern wie AOL, me.com (Apple),
gmail (Google), hotmail/outlook.com (Microsoft) oder yahoo.

Update Re: Can I install Fedora 29 on a T42?

Beartooth
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 17:31:16 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:

> I am not sanguine; F28 already gave trouble with two PC, both (I think)
> newer than the T42; but hope springs eternal ...

        I now have a F29 32 bit disk in the T42, meaning to do a
netinstall; but I have what I think must be a hardware problem. It booted
from the desk, and started Anaconda normally; then I got interrupted, and
when I got back, the screen was black. It still is.

        I've tried hitting keys, moving the mouse, opening and closing
the machine -- with and without long waits in the midst of each.

        I have not, yet, tried rebooting with the power button, not
knowing what that might do to the install. Nor have I taken it to a shop.
Does anybody have a better idea?