Dropped T520 exhibits weird keyboard problem- some keys need pressed twice

Dropped T520 exhibits weird keyboard problem- some keys need pressed twice

keitho-2
I accidentally dropped my Lenovo T520 off my desk last week.

It didn't seem to suffer any obvious physical damage, but then I noticed
that at least two keys are malfunctioning:

The ' key (single quote) and the ~ (tilde) key need to be pressed twice.
Both regular and shifted positions are effected. The first time they are
pressed nothing happens. This behavior does not appear to be affected by
"how" I press the keys. So far these are the only two keys I have found
that are effected.

Anyone have experience with this type of damage? Is it a mechanical
keyboard issue, or maybe a connector problem? How are these two keys
related physically in the keyboard system?

Could I be mistaken and this is some type of software related problem?

Anyone care to recommend a trustworthy repair service here in the USA
(preferably East Coast) I could send it to?

This is the Type 4239-CTO model. I run Debian on it.

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag
Harrisburg, PA

Re: Dropped T520 exhibits weird keyboard problem- some keys need pressed twice

Axel Braun
[hidden email] wrote:

> I accidentally dropped my Lenovo T520 off my desk last week.

:-(

> Anyone care to recommend a trustworthy repair service here in the USA
> (preferably East Coast) I could send it to?
>
> This is the Type 4239-CTO model. I run Debian on it.

Check with the IBM/Lenove Webistes, there were repair manuals available (at
least for my older ones, A30 and Z60m) that showed step-by-step how to
disassemble the laptop. Changing the keyboard is then a piece of cake.

HTH
Axel