Erase key labels

Paul RIVIER
Hello,

I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper
way) labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive
look ! :)
Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?
thanks

paul

Re: Erase key labels

John Sullivan-2
Paul RIVIER <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take this
> opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper way) labels
> (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
> If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive look ! :)
> Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?
> thanks

Please let me know or post to the list if you learn a good way to do this. I'm
interested in doing this as well! Rearranging the keys on the Thinkpad is
difficult due to our beloved trackpoint, so blanking them seems like the best
solution. Plus I would like the way it looks, and I wouldn't have to worry
about the fact that I might end up switching back to QWERTY or over to Asetion
some time in the future.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

Re: Erase key labels

Aidan Marks

Re: Erase key labels

Brad Langhorst
On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:54 +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
> this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper
> way) labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
> If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive
> look ! :)
> Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?

acetone? (nail polish remover)
brad

Re: Erase key labels

honey-2
On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:54 +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:

> I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
> this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper
> way) labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
> If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive
> look ! :)
> Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?

Just type a lot for 3 months or so: works a treat on my thinkpad
keyboard (swapped twice and due another, sigh).

Re: Erase key labels

Bill Wohler
honey <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:54 +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:
>>
>> I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
>> this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper
>> way) labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
>> If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive
>> look ! :)
>> Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?
>
> Just type a lot for 3 months or so: works a treat on my thinkpad
> keyboard (swapped twice and due another, sigh).

Your fingers must be like sandpaper. *I* type a lot and while the keys
are polished, the labels are still like new (except for small chips
out of the c, n and m).

--
Bill Wohler <[hidden email]>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD

Re: Erase key labels

Richard Neill

Brad Langhorst wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:54 +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
>>this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper
>>way) labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
>>If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive
>>look ! :)
>>Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?
>

> acetone? (nail polish remover)

Nooo! You'll turn your entire keyboard into a sticky gooey mess.
Acetone will probably take more than just the letters off!

It is possible that the correct solvent will help (At a guess,
isopropanol might be a good start) - but please test it very carefully.
Whatever you do, take the keyboard off the thinkpad before you start: a
wrecked keyboard will cost far less than a wrecked TP.

Alternative:

1)Disassemble the kb (take all the keycaps off)

2)Roughen them gently by wiping against 1200-grit glasspaper.

3)Spray with matt black epoxy (or enamel) paint. 2 or 3 light coats,
allow to dry.

You might practice on a cheap spare part from eBay first!

Richard

Re: Erase key labels

George Yanos

My t42p is about a year old, I've worn the little finger feel tabs off the
F (can't even see it) and the J (can see it but not feel it).  The letters
are as good as new.

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, George Yanos wrote:

> My t42p is about a year old, I've worn the little finger feel tabs off the F
> (can't even see it) and the J (can see it but not feel it).  The letters are
> as good as new.

My keyboard's maybe 9 months: 7 keys are completely devoid of labels
and I'd guess another 5 partially gone (the obvious ones).  Happened on
my previous keyboard too, and both space bars have become hit and
miss (had to add some tape underneath them).  I really don't think
I type hard, but I do type long (it's my only computer I have for
personal use rather than server, and I use it day and night), no nail
polish/remover mishaps, cats aren't allowed to lick of keyboard etc.
But then, I've moaned about this before on this list.  At least IBM
swap them without too much fuss.

Honey

Re: Erase key labels

George Yanos
Or you could get one of those golf caps with only a bill, no crown.  Make
it big, then put it on just below the eyes, so you can't see the keyboard?

(ps, for humor, not nastieness.  I do think the key text will be hard to
get off cleanly and that mental health might be added by trying a mental
adjustment first.)

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Richard Neill wrote:

> Brad Langhorst wrote:
>> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:54 +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
>>> this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper way)
>>> labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
>>> If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive look
>>> ! :)
>>> Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?
>>

>> acetone? (nail polish remover)
>
> Nooo! You'll turn your entire keyboard into a sticky gooey mess.
> Acetone will probably take more than just the letters off!
>
> It is possible that the correct solvent will help (At a guess, isopropanol
> might be a good start) - but please test it very carefully.
> Whatever you do, take the keyboard off the thinkpad before you start: a
> wrecked keyboard will cost far less than a wrecked TP.
>
> Alternative:
>
> 1)Disassemble the kb (take all the keycaps off)
>
> 2)Roughen them gently by wiping against 1200-grit glasspaper.
>
> 3)Spray with matt black epoxy (or enamel) paint. 2 or 3 light coats, allow to
> dry.
>
> You might practice on a cheap spare part from eBay first!
>

> Richard

Re: Erase key labels

David-94
The girls in my office use lotion on thier hands and are constantly
asking for replacement keyboards because the letters have dissappeared.

David

honey wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, George Yanos wrote:
>

>> My t42p is about a year old, I've worn the little finger feel tabs
>> off the F (can't even see it) and the J (can see it but not feel
>> it).  The letters are as good as new.
>

> My keyboard's maybe 9 months: 7 keys are completely devoid of labels
> and I'd guess another 5 partially gone (the obvious ones).  Happened on
> my previous keyboard too, and both space bars have become hit and
> miss (had to add some tape underneath them).  I really don't think
> I type hard, but I do type long (it's my only computer I have for
> personal use rather than server, and I use it day and night), no nail
> polish/remover mishaps, cats aren't allowed to lick of keyboard etc.
> But then, I've moaned about this before on this list.  At least IBM
> swap them without too much fuss.
>
> Honey

Re: Erase key labels

Paul RIVIER
honey wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, George Yanos wrote:
>

>> My t42p is about a year old, I've worn the little finger feel tabs
>> off the F (can't even see it) and the J (can see it but not feel
>> it).  The letters are as good as new.
>

> My keyboard's maybe 9 months: 7 keys are completely devoid of labels
> and I'd guess another 5 partially gone (the obvious ones).  Happened on
> my previous keyboard too, and both space bars have become hit and
> miss (had to add some tape underneath them).  I really don't think
> I type hard, but I do type long (it's my only computer I have for
> personal use rather than server, and I use it day and night), no nail
> polish/remover mishaps, cats aren't allowed to lick of keyboard etc.
> But then, I've moaned about this before on this list.  At least IBM
> swap them without too much fuss.
>
> Honey

you swet acetone man, you should stop drinking your parfum ;)

paul

Re: Erase key labels

Paul RIVIER
David wrote:

> The girls in my office use lotion on thier hands and are constantly
> asking for replacement keyboards because the letters have dissappeared.

interesting, what kind of lotion do they use ? Is it a nail color
remover ? or a moisturing cream ? thanks for the tip, there is maybe a
good solvent involved in it.

By the way when I was young I tried to erase the windows key of my black
keyboard with acetone, and I would not recommand to anyone to so so. To
be honest, the key melted exept under the label, wich was not altered at
all :)

paul

Re: Erase key labels

Christopher Sawtell
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 02:54, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
> this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper
> way) labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
> If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive
> look ! :)
> Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?
> thanks
Remove keyboard from t/p and use 600 grit wet and dry very gently, and then
polish up with jeweller's rouge.

Your typing speed will take off in leaps and bounds what ever the key
layout.

--
CS

Re: Erase key labels

David-94
I believe it's the moisturizing cream. These girls do a lot of typing.

Paul RIVIER wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> The girls in my office use lotion on thier hands and are constantly
>> asking for replacement keyboards because the letters have dissappeared.
>

> interesting, what kind of lotion do they use ? Is it a nail color
> remover ? or a moisturing cream ? thanks for the tip, there is maybe a
> good solvent involved in it.
>
> By the way when I was young I tried to erase the windows key of my
> black keyboard with acetone, and I would not recommand to anyone to so
> so. To be honest, the key melted exept under the label, wich was not
> altered at all :)
>
> paul

Re: Erase key labels

Joseph Manning
On 2005-Dec-08 (Thu) at 17:30 (-0500), Brad Langhorst wrote:

>> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:54 +0000, Paul RIVIER wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I want to use a dvorak layout on my thinkpad, and I would like to take
>> > this opportunity to do somthing I'd really like : erase (in a proper
>> > way) labels (letters, modifiers etc.) printed on the keys.
>> > If it is properly done, I imagine that would result in an impressive
>> > look ! :)
>> > Does anyone have an idea about how to do that ?
>>
>> acetone? (nail polish remover)

Hi,

   Or, you might try (... wait for it ...): mosquito repellent.

   I'm serious.  I found out the hard way, a few years ago.
   I had just sprayed myself with an aerosol of the stuff,
   my fingers were still a little damp, I picked up my camcorder,
   and all of the writing that I touched just melted off.
   The plastic underneath was unaffected.

   Maybe the mosquito repellent had acetone, I don't know.

Joseph

Re: several messages

honey-2

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Bill Wohler wrote:

> Your fingers must be like sandpaper. *I* type a lot and while the keys
> are polished, the labels are still like new (except for small chips
> out of the c, n and m).

Make you minds up!  If my fingers are sandpaper (they're very smooth
thank you!) then I need more hand lotion...

Clearly I actually type a lot and am a very productive individual.
Anyone know of a typing meter that can count up the number of keys hit
in an average day?  I challenge you to a duel :)

Honey

Re: Erase key labels

Bill Wohler
Joseph Manning <[hidden email]> writes:

>    Maybe the mosquito repellent had acetone, I don't know.

DEET. Melts plastic, including polyester, which is why you don't want
it on clothes either. Nasty stuff. But effective.

Wondering if the folks who wear off the labels type with the pads
of their fingers or their nails...

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 18:55 -0600, David wrote:
> The girls in my office use lotion on thier hands and are constantly
> asking for replacement keyboards because the letters have dissappeared.

dude - child labor -  I thought that was illegal ;)

brad