External USB keyboard w/ T520

Jeffrey Taylor-3
My neck and back are complaining about too much time staring down at the laptop
screen.  Solution?  External keyboard and raising the laptop.  Anyone with
recommendations and/or experience with external keyboards?  I suppose an exact
match is impossible.  What are good matches?

TIA,
  Jeffrey

Re: External USB keyboard w/ T520

bhaskins

On 5/28/2018 10:16 AM, Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
> My neck and back are complaining about too much time staring down at the laptop
> screen.  Solution?  External keyboard and raising the laptop.  Anyone with
> recommendations and/or experience with external keyboards?  I suppose an exact
> match is impossible.  What are good matches?
>
> TIA,
>    Jeffrey
I would not be without a riser thingy that we got from Hobby Lobby.
It fits down into my chair and raises my T520s up to a very comfortable
level.
They(HL)  have about the dumbest search engine though, even worse than
the one on ebay.

I also use it with a docking station IBM clacky keyboard and a 27 inch
monitor.
-- Bert

Re: External USB keyboard w/ T520

Rubin Abdi
I just went through this...

Long story short, I don't believe there's a full sized keyboard out that that mimics the keys on any of my ThinkPads any better than what Lenovo has to offer under the ThinkPad branding. Having had an X220 previously and doing the same hunt back then, I can say the same for the classic style keys.

If you search around you can still find new old stock of variations on the classic style keys on an external keyboard, be it either USB (I have one, the palm rest/trackpad is too bulky), or Bluetooth (less bulk) format....

Bluetooth is a little harder to find, but it exists.

Here's a picture of my current setup when I've got my T480s docked at home...

Tip: Rubber feet of various sizes is crucial to making this work for me.

On Mon, 28 May 2018 at 08:29, Jeffrey Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
My neck and back are complaining about too much time staring down at the laptop
screen.  Solution?  External keyboard and raising the laptop.  Anyone with
recommendations and/or experience with external keyboards?  I suppose an exact
match is impossible.  What are good matches?

TIA,
  Jeffrey

Re: External USB keyboard w/ T520

Richard Neill-4
Hi Rubin,

For what it's worth, I've also hunted lots. I use the USB compact
ultranav in some places, but the keys are too small, and they have the
insane positioning of the PgUp,PgDn keys right next to the arrow keys,
which I frequently mis-strike.

The older desktop USB/trackpoint keyboard is still a great choice, and
it's FRU 55Y9091, but I don't know where you can find them.

This one looks ideal, so I bought one. The keys are great. However:
There's no middle-button or scrolling, which is a real nuisance, and the
two mouse keys require WAY too much force to press with the side of a
thumb.
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/endurapro-buckling-spring-keyboard-with-nipple-black-usb.asp

You may like one of the "contour roller mouse" alternatives.

Otherwise... buy an A22p (really solid, with the best layout of 2+1
mouse buttons), and use x2x to control the desktop!

HTH,

Richard

P.S. Ergonomically, I usually find the problem is that the floor is too
high. Usually, desktop, chair, mouse, keyboard and monitor line up just
fine - if only I could put my feet 6" lower. So I now have to get a
taller chair, raised desk, and raise the monitors!

On 28/05/18 18:00, Rubin Abdi wrote:

> I just went through this...
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/8j70kt/desktop_keyboard_that_best_mimics_feel_of_current/
>
> Long story short, I don't believe there's a full sized keyboard out that
> that mimics the keys on any of my ThinkPads any better than what Lenovo
> has to offer under the ThinkPad branding. Having had an X220 previously
> and doing the same hunt back then, I can say the same for the classic
> style keys.
>
> If you search around you can still find new old stock of variations on
> the classic style keys on an external keyboard, be it either USB (I have
> one, the palm rest/trackpad is too bulky), or Bluetooth (less bulk)
> format....
>
> https://www.amazon.com/SK-8845CR-Keyboard-TrackPoint-Thinkpad-Computers/dp/B076TTGTGK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527526238&sr=8-5&keywords=thinkpad+keyboard
>
> Bluetooth is a little harder to find, but it exists.
>
> Here's a picture of my current setup when I've got my T480s docked at
> home...
>
> http://0.starset.net/screenies/20180528095507-Selection.png
>
> Tip: Rubber feet of various sizes is crucial to making this work for me.
>
> On Mon, 28 May 2018 at 08:29, Jeffrey Taylor <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     My neck and back are complaining about too much time staring down at
>     the laptop
>     screen.  Solution?  External keyboard and raising the laptop.
>     Anyone with
>     recommendations and/or experience with external keyboards?  I
>     suppose an exact
>     match is impossible.  What are good matches?
>
>     TIA,
>        Jeffrey
>     --

> Rubin

Re: External USB keyboard w/ T520

Eric Covener
On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Jeffrey Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My neck and back are complaining about too much time staring down at the laptop
> screen.  Solution?  External keyboard and raising the laptop.  Anyone with
> recommendations and/or experience with external keyboards?  I suppose an exact
> match is impossible.  What are good matches?

I think you will never be too happy if you are coming from a t420
keyboard. I would suggest if the t420 still has a good amount of life
looking into wedge-style stands or arm-like mounts for laptop + 1
additional display to see how the ergonomics are.