Quantcast

Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

123

Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Jeremy Asher
@Peter:

Several people [1] [2] have noted issues with Linux suspend to RAM on the new Haswell X1 Carbon models .  I have been experiencing the issue myself on Arch Linux running kernel 3.13.5.  In my case, the laptop appears to enter suspend (power light starts flashing), but the fan and touch strip are still powered up.  The display may stay powered on as well and display a blinking cursor in console mode.  The machine is unresponsive other than the touch strip.

I followed the general Linux PM debugging instructions [3] and noted that with pm-trace set to core, the laptop did not freeze, but with a full suspend, it does.  I attempted to blacklist or unload all modules on the system from a minimal boot before entering suspend, but could not fix the issue that way.  I eventually started disabling various modules in the BIOS until suspend worked.  I determined that disabling either Wireless LAN or disabling USB 3.0 mode allows the laptop to enter sleep.  I settled on leaving USB 3.0 mode disabled for now.  I have not tried recompiling the kernel since all relevant drivers seem to be modules.  Any thoughts?

[1] http://ctrlx-ctrlc.blogspot.com/2014/02/installing-ubuntu-1310-on-gen-2-haswell.html
[2] http://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/1vmx79/i_just_bought_the_new_x1_carbon_2014_has_anyone/
[3] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt

Re: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Peter FP Zhang
Hello Jeremy,

Nice to see your report.
Yes, we've reproduced this S3 issue in our side and are now trying to fix it.
The solution might be available in one week. Will keep you posted then.
If you met any Linux compatibility issues on ThinkPads, please try to ping me, I will check if there is anything I can help.

Re: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Jeremy Asher
Peter,

That's great to hear.  Thanks for the update!

Re: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

David Stosik
Peter FP Zhang <zhangfp1 <at> lenovo.com> writes:

> Hello Jeremy,
>
> Nice to see your report.
> Yes, we've reproduced this S3 issue in our side and are now trying to fix
> it.
> The solution might be available in one week. Will keep you posted then.
>
> -----
> If you meet any Linux compatibility issues on ThinkPads, please try to ping
me, I will check if there is
> anything I can help.

Hello,

I'm also interested in getting news on this subject. I can help testing if
needed.

Regards,

David

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Peter FP Zhang
This post was updated on .
Hi Jeremy,
There is some good news coming.
We finally found it is a firmware issue which will be fixed by BIOS update in one to two weeks.
Formal new BIOS release with this fix, might be >=1.12.  I'll continue to keep you posted. You may pay attention to the BIOS update on www.lenovo.com<http://www.lenovo.com> as well.  Thanks for your patience.:)

k0nrad
I upgraded to bios 1.12 and the issue is still present

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Peter FP Zhang
Hello David, K0nrad,

The new BIOS to include this fix will be 1.13, the trial version already available in my hand.
We are now running the website update progress, it should be seen by you within one week.
If you met any Linux compatibility issues on ThinkPads, please try to ping me, I will check if there is anything I can help.

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

birger

I still cannot find the BIOS update through the lenovo support page. Has it run into some snag?
The existing 1.12 bios has an interesting release date: 23 Apr 2014

birger <birger <at> birger.sh> writes:

> I still cannot find the BIOS update through the lenovo support page. Has it
> run into some snag?
> The existing 1.12 bios has an interesting release date: 23 Apr 2014

Same for me, 1.12 appears with a release date in the future...

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

dagb
This post was updated on .
After upgrading to BIOS v 1.12 I started to have problems with my mobile broadband connection. Suddenly the adaptive keys started to sort of work under Ubuntu, except that it was locked to volume and brightness set of keys. USB might be a common denominator for all of these (have not checked), but I tried to disable USB 3.0 in the BIOS, and voila. Suspend to RAM and mobile broadband works.

Con: seems like the adaptive keys went blank after suspend, but came back after reboot.

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

acrodaniel
Well i can not find the bios update on the offical lenovo site for the Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 2 I 4550U

Can you help with the FN button? I am running Arch Linux.

all the best

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Nikos Alexandris
On 10.04.2014 20:12, acrodaniel wrote:

> Well i can not find the bios update on the offical lenovo site for
> the
> Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 2 I 4550U

If you mean version 1.13, it's up!

<http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/gruj08us.iso>
& the readme
<http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/gruj08uc.txt>.

Regards

[rest deleted]

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Peter FP Zhang
Hello Nikos, Thank you very much.

Dear all,
Yes, the BIOS version for fixing the suspend issue in Linux is V1.13. Thanks for your attention.
Regarding the adaptive keyboard (Smart Ink, Dynamic Function Row) Linux support, the new thinkPad_acpi source code was already upstreamed and now waiting for the approval from kernel team.

We've also enabled it in Ubuntu 12.04.4 with Kernel 3.11.0, if you need it, pls don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,
Peter

On 11.04.2014 12:37, Peter FP Zhang wrote:

> Hello Nikos, Thank you very much.

Your efforts, our pleasure :-)

> Dear all,
> Yes, the BIOS version for fixing the suspend issue in Linux is V1.13.
> Thanks
> for your attention.
> Regarding the adaptive keyboard (Smart Ink, Dynamic Function Row)
> Linux
> support, the new thinkPad_acpi source code was already upstreamed and
> now
> waiting for the approval from kernel team.

This seems to be also "up":

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=4ba85265790ba3681deeaf73f018c0eb829a7341

(mentioned also in
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=175426&p=2)

> We've also enabled it in Ubuntu 12.04.4 with Kernel 3.11.0, if you
> need it,
> pls don't hesitate to let me know.

@Peter, would you mind sharing what other important issues remain (in
general for linux-OS-es)?

Thanks, Nikos

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

acrodaniel
wow can not wait unitil everything is working fine on my archlinux

do you know when the bios update is also avalible for usb drive?

thank you

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

acrodaniel
so i updated the bios today.

1) the sleeping modus of my laptop is working now but when i close the laptop. when i open the laptop again there are the FN keys missing.

2) it seems to be tricky to get the laptop to sleeping modus. sometimes when i close it, the laptop just make a black screen

thanks for your help

i am running archlinux on my laptop, and i did not update the kernel (i am waiting for the offical update from the offical repo)

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

dagb
Great, so now Ubuntu 13.10 can suspend and wake up with USB 3.0 set to auto in BIOS. The X1 Carbon does not turn into a sleeping beauty that requires inordinate amount of spells and kisses to wake up

I am too experiencing dead adaptive keys (Fn keys) after resume. Seems like support for adaptive keys will be included in the kernel at some point, but not sure if this will fix the dead adaptive key display.

fa.linux.kernel patch thread

IBM ACPI thread

Anybody know if the dead Fn keys is a BIOS or OS/driver issue?

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

k0nrad
same issue here... i read (but I dont remember where) that you can resume its functioning... will do a research tomorrow... it would be great to have a deamon for the backlight of the keyboard and another one for the adaptive keyboard!

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Xero
I've applied that patch to my kernel (3.14) and now the adaptive keys come back after suspend. In addition, the adaptive keys can switch to home mode in addition to function key mode, which lets you use the volume and backlight keys! Major improvement.

I'm also running the latest bios. I had to dump the eltorito image from the ISO they provide, after that I was able to dd the resulting image to a flash drive and the bios update went well, no cdrom needed. I've now got nearly everything working under linux.

RE: Gen 2 (Haswell) X1 Carbon suspend to RAM hang

Raider Sail
I'm interested in getting the HDAPS module up and running on the W530. I need help getting started. Here's what I've learned so far. Please post what you know in response, or point me to better information.

Peter Zhang at Lenovo has graciously agreed to forward technical requests to the Lenovo developers. I would like help. Someone more experienced with the code could contact him instead of me, of course.

I'm on Fedora 20, kernel 3.13.9-200.fc20.x86_64. For the latest (?) hdaps I'm using https://github.com/evgeni/tp_smapi.git.

Issues I see:

  1. This kernel has a working thinkpad-acpi module but not thinkpad-ec. The hdaps module from tp_smapi 0.41. depends on thinkpad-ec.
  2. The APS hardware may have changed.
  3. hdapsd may require updates including /sys interface changes and systemd integration, but also including the protocol used if #2 is significant.

On (1) I'm not certain what is necessary or best: fix thinkpad-ec or simply refit hdaps to use features added to thinkpad-acpi?

On (2) the W530 accelerometer appears to act the same way, producing X/Y/status output, using the Windows demo C# code that used to be available via B. Suter's Stanford page (and loads sensor.dll). See https://web.archive.org/web/20070429173330/http://www.stanford.edu/~bsuter/thinkpad-accelerometer/

Before asking I think we should have a strategy in mind for updating the code.

Notes:

Loading hdaps.ko from tp-smapi 0.41 requires thinkpad_ec.ko to be loaded since that provides the read/write mechanism. I see the following error when insmod'ing thinkpad_ec.ko 0.41 on :

    [153711.751399] thinkpad_ec: thinkpad_ec_request_row: arg0 rejected: (0x01:0x00)->0x00
    [153711.751403] thinkpad_ec: thinkpad_ec_read_row: failed requesting row: (0x01:0x00)->0xfffffffb
    [153711.751405] thinkpad_ec: initial ec test failed

The native kernel's hdaps.ko (although not recommended by the current tp-smapi maintainers) doesn't load. Its error:

    [154183.223065] hdaps: supported laptop not found!
    [154183.223069] hdaps: driver init failed (ret=-19)!

There is a tecnique for learning the ports and values read/written using Windows Debugger, as Mark A. Smith did as described in https://web.archive.org/web/20120601001710/http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/marksmith/tpaps.html

This seems harder than asking Lenovo engineering for a small amount of technical assistance.

On (3) I assume the hdapsd available in Fedora 20 is from http://sourceforge.net/projects/hdaps/files/hdapsd/
$ sudo hdapsd -V
hdapsd 20090401

$ sudo hdapsd -d sda
Mon Apr 14 14:34:07 2014: Starting hdapsd
Mon Apr 14 14:34:07 2014: Could not find a suitable interface

The missing ACPI interface files appear to be: /sys/devices/platform/hdaps/position and or /sys/module/hdaps_ec/initstate but there are several failed open(2) system calls in strace(1) output.

If someone else with more experience wants to work on this with me, that would be good. I can dedicate my W530 to testing.
123