Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Joerg Bruehe-2
Dear all!

I got a Thinkpad T530 and am now searching for a headset.

The analogue connector is just a single 3.5 mm socket with 4 leads,
combining earphones and microphone in one. Checking several local shops,
I did not find a suitable headset - they either have 2 plugs of 3.5 mm
with 3 leads each, or they use USB.

1) Does anybody know a brand producing headsets with the single 4-lead
3.5 mm plug?

2) Is it possible to use a USB headset on the T530 running Ubuntu 14.04?
I need it for Skype and a SIP (VoIP) softphone.

Thanks for hints,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Kamen Naydenov-2
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Joerg Bruehe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all!
>

> I got a Thinkpad T530 and am now searching for a headset.
>
> The analogue connector is just a single 3.5 mm socket with 4 leads,
> combining earphones and microphone in one. Checking several local shops, I
> did not find a suitable headset - they either have 2 plugs of 3.5 mm with 3
> leads each, or they use USB.
>
> 1) Does anybody know a brand producing headsets with the single 4-lead 3.5
> mm plug?
May be:
http://urbanrevolt.com/en/collection/headphones/duga-headset
They come with single 3.5 mm plug and conversion cable for separate
microphone input and headphone output.

> 2) Is it possible to use a USB headset on the T530 running Ubuntu 14.04?
> I need it for Skype and a SIP (VoIP) softphone.
>

> Thanks for hints,
> Jörg

best regards
Kamen

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Chris Schumann
Around here, just about every drug store will have several compatible
headsets that works with that audio jack; and of course every single
store that sells any kind of electronics will too.

Chris

On 09/04/2014 09:05 AM, Joerg Bruehe wrote:

> Dear all!
>

> I got a Thinkpad T530 and am now searching for a headset.
>
> The analogue connector is just a single 3.5 mm socket with 4 leads,
> combining earphones and microphone in one. Checking several local
> shops, I did not find a suitable headset - they either have 2 plugs of
> 3.5 mm with 3 leads each, or they use USB.
>
> 1) Does anybody know a brand producing headsets with the single 4-lead
> 3.5 mm plug?
>
> 2) Is it possible to use a USB headset on the T530 running Ubuntu 14.04?
> I need it for Skype and a SIP (VoIP) softphone.
>

> Thanks for hints,
> Jörg

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Steve McIntyre
On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 05:36:38PM +0300, Kamen Naydenov wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Joerg Bruehe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all!
>>

>> I got a Thinkpad T530 and am now searching for a headset.
>>
>> The analogue connector is just a single 3.5 mm socket with 4 leads,
>> combining earphones and microphone in one. Checking several local shops, I
>> did not find a suitable headset - they either have 2 plugs of 3.5 mm with 3
>> leads each, or they use USB.
>>
>> 1) Does anybody know a brand producing headsets with the single 4-lead 3.5
>> mm plug?
>May be:
>http://urbanrevolt.com/en/collection/headphones/duga-headset
>They come with single 3.5 mm plug and conversion cable for separate
>microphone input and headphone output.

Or there are readily-available adapters to convert an existing
headset's two plugs into a 4-pole single plug, e.g.:

  http://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/Audio-Cables/~MUYHSMFF

which is what I use.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                [hidden email]
"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

James Knott
On 09/04/2014 10:05 AM, Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> 2) Is it possible to use a USB headset on the T530 running Ubuntu 14.04?

That's what I do on my E520 running openSUSE.

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Chris Hartmann
On 09/04/2014 04:05 PM, Joerg Bruehe wrote:

> [ ... ]
>
> 2) Is it possible to use a USB headset on the T530 running Ubuntu 14.04?
> I need it for Skype and a SIP (VoIP) softphone.

I use a Plantronics C620 USB headset with my T530 under 14.04/compiz. As
it has volume buttons it acts as an HID, too, which confuses X and the
user, e. g. hitting mic mute while the mute LED is lit gives you a mouse
middle button paste.

If your mouse stops working enter

    xinput float 'Plantronics Plantronics C620'

and everybody is happy again.

BTW the mic mute button on the laptop, oops, ThinkPad[TM] does not work,
but the LED shows its status which can be changed in the sound settings
menu. Sometimes the LED gets confused and shows the opposite status but
right now I cannot reproduce this.

And while we're at it, the brightness keys Fn-F8 and Fn-F9 only work on
non-graphic consoles so you have to e. g. Ctrl-Alt-F1 to change brightness.

Somebody has fixes for these?

Chris

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Bjørn Mork
Steve McIntyre <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 05:36:38PM +0300, Kamen Naydenov wrote:
>>On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Joerg Bruehe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear all!
>>>

>>> I got a Thinkpad T530 and am now searching for a headset.
>>>
>>> The analogue connector is just a single 3.5 mm socket with 4 leads,
>>> combining earphones and microphone in one. Checking several local shops, I
>>> did not find a suitable headset - they either have 2 plugs of 3.5 mm with 3
>>> leads each, or they use USB.
>>>
>>> 1) Does anybody know a brand producing headsets with the single 4-lead 3.5
>>> mm plug?
>>May be:
>>http://urbanrevolt.com/en/collection/headphones/duga-headset
>>They come with single 3.5 mm plug and conversion cable for separate
>>microphone input and headphone output.
>
> Or there are readily-available adapters to convert an existing
> headset's two plugs into a 4-pole single plug, e.g.:
>
>   http://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/Audio-Cables/~MUYHSMFF
>
> which is what I use.

I cannot find much information about the pinout of these 4pin
connectors. Do anyone happen to know whether the Thinkpads use the
"Apple" pinout (the sleeve contact is microphone) the sane one (the
sleeve is ground)?

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_%28audio%29#TRRS_standards

And that *is* an issue.  Or at least it was. I got burnt a few years ago
buying a Koss PortaPro with mic, thinking that I could use it with the
Sony Ericsson X10 mini I was using at the time...  That's when I
discovered that Apple had invented their own variant of this connector,
and that all accessory vendors of course only targeted the iPhone.

But I guess everyone has adapted to the Apple way now, so this is maybe
not an issue anymore?

Bjørn

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

ubuntu

On 09/05/2014 02:10 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> I cannot find much information about the pinout of these 4pin
> connectors. Do anyone happen to know whether the Thinkpads use the
> "Apple" pinout (the sleeve contact is microphone) the sane one (the
> sleeve is ground)?

Why not go with a USB headset?  They work fine.

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Marius Gedminas-4
On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:14:10AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> BTW the mic mute button on the laptop, oops, ThinkPad[TM] does not work,
> but the LED shows its status which can be changed in the sound settings
> menu. Sometimes the LED gets confused and shows the opposite status but
> right now I cannot reproduce this.

The button (on an X220) works for me in Ubuntu GNOME 14.04, after I
upgraded to GNOME 3.12 from the GNOME3 PPA.  IIRC it doesn't work in
GNOME 3.10 because it's got a version of gnome-settings-daemon that
doesn't recognize XF86AudioMicMute.  It should work in plain Ubuntu
14.04, because they backported that patch to ubuntu-settings-daemon,
IIRC.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/408903
has a *lot* of comments about this, listing all the components where
this could be broken (you need udev rules to set up a kernel input
device keymap and then have X recognize that and transform to the right
keysym and then the desktop environment has to listen for those key
events and do the right thing; previously the F20 keysym was reused for
this, but then everything switched to XF86AudioMicMute, but of course
not at the same time, causing temporary regressions).

It's perhaps possible to play with thinkpad-acpi's hotkey_mask and have
the firmware deal with mic muting, but I'm not qualified to say whether
that's a good idea.

> And while we're at it, the brightness keys Fn-F8 and Fn-F9 only work on
> non-graphic consoles so you have to e. g. Ctrl-Alt-F1 to change brightness.

Have you determined whether this issue is on the input side or the
display side?  Can you adjust the brightness using System Preferences?

(On the X220 brightness keys are the traditional Fn-Home/End, and they
work fine on my OS.)

Marius Gedminas
--
I would suggest re-naming "rmbdd()". I _assume_ that "dd" stands for "data
dependent", but quite frankly, "rmbdd" looks like the standard IBM "we

On 09/05/2014 02:35 PM, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> [...]
>
> Have you determined whether this issue is on the input side or the
> display side?  Can you adjust the brightness using System Preferences?

Not directly. When I change brightness and switch to a text console, the
right brighness is set upon the next hit on either sun- or sun+. This is
independant from using the keys or the slider (hitting the keys changes
the slider). If I change the brightness in the text console, the slider
will have the old value and jump to the correct value if I hit a
brightness key.

The sun- key always jumps two steps, the sun+ key only sometimes,
irregularly.

Strange,

        Chris

Re: Headset connector on newer Thinkpads

Marco Gaiarin-4
Mandi! Joerg Bruehe
  In chel di` si favelave...

> 1) Does anybody know a brand producing headsets with the single 4-lead
> 3.5 mm plug?

AFAIK a normal ''smartphone'' headset do the job, or at least i use with my
TP the earphone of my LG P500 phone.

--
  Microsoft is to Software as McDonalds is to Cuisine.