LID on X260

Carles Pina i Estany-2

Hello,

TL;DR: any kernel parameter to stop the closing the LID detection?
(because of a hardware problem). Or, is this only controled by hardware?
(it even happens before Linux booting up).

We have a 1 month old X260 here (currently we are on an Antarctic
expedition, so we don't have access to shops). When moving the screen it
flickers and goes black: I think that it detects that the LID has been
closed even if it hasn't.

It happens even before Linux boots. I'll try to disable ACPI on the BIOS
but obviously it's some type of falty hardware. We've tried echo LID >
/proc/acpi/wakeup as I think it was suggested in some message some time
ago without any luck. I've also tried killing acpid.

Besides disabling ACPI on the BIOS if possible (and I think that might
not work) any other idea of what could be done? (we are now from Cape
Town to Hobart, but we only have 2 days there and we would like to not
have to buy/replace the laptop).

I'm thinking of some Kernel parameter to stop this happening, for
example.

Thank you very much,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat

Re: LID on X260

Paul Seelig-3
On 01/02/2017 05:46 AM, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> It happens even before Linux boots.
[...]
> I'm thinking of some Kernel parameter to stop this happening,
[...]
Removing the lines surrounding the factual information should make it
clear this is probably rather a hardware issue than anything fixable by
software parameters.

This maybe still leaves the firmware option: Is this machine running the
latest available BIOS from Lenovo?

If upgrading to the latest BIOS is not feasible, i'd rather suggest to
replace the machine with another proven good one.

Re: LID on X260

Carles Pina i Estany-2

Hi,

On Jan/02/2017, Paul Seelig wrote:

> On 01/02/2017 05:46 AM, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> > It happens even before Linux boots.
> [...]
> > I'm thinking of some Kernel parameter to stop this happening,
> [...]
> >
> Removing the lines surrounding the factual information should make it
> clear this is probably rather a hardware issue than anything fixable by
> software parameters.

yes I know, but since we are on a ship for another 20 days and then we
will stop only for one a half days in Hobart I was wondering if there is
a software work around for the hardware problem (like disabling the
screen suspending when it things that the lid is closed) (we might have
to buy one external screen in the time that we will have in Hobart for
the next 2 months of the cruise)

> This maybe still leaves the firmware option: Is this machine running the
> latest available BIOS from Lenovo?

With the internet that we have here it will be difficult to verify but
I'll try to have a look, thanks for the idea.

> If upgrading to the latest BIOS is not feasible, i'd rather suggest to
> replace the machine with another proven good one.

We would also like to do it!

Thank you!

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat
        GPG Key 0x8CD5C157
        Current Latitude: -49.1608 Longitude: 63.2230
        http://www.google.com/maps/place/-49.1608,63.2230