Laptop fails to switch batteries

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

I have a T460s with two internal batteries, running Debian unstable
(4.9.0-3-amd64). No special power management tools installed.

Initially, it was fine: The laptop would use battery 1 until almost
empty, and then start using battery 0. But since a few weeks, it often
happens that as battery 0 gets depleted, the laptop simply and without
warning shuts down.

Is that a known problem, and does it have a known fix?

Thanks,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Laptop fails to switch batteries

Kai Hendry-2
I think I have the same problem on:
Linux teefour 4.11.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 24 09:07:09 CEST 2017
x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is my https://s.natalian.org/2017-07-04/99-lowbat.rules that lives
at /etc/udev/rules.d/99-lowbat.rules

Re: Laptop fails to switch batteries

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh-2
On Tue, 04 Jul 2017, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> I have a T460s with two internal batteries, running Debian unstable
> (4.9.0-3-amd64). No special power management tools installed.
>
> Initially, it was fine: The laptop would use battery 1 until almost
> empty, and then start using battery 0. But since a few weeks, it often
> happens that as battery 0 gets depleted, the laptop simply and without
> warning shuts down.
>
> Is that a known problem, and does it have a known fix?

Never heard of it, but... does it work with just battery 1?  i.e. have
you tested that battery 1 is working by itself?

Are you using the tp_smapi ? if so, what does it say about the
batteries?

--
  Henrique Holschuh

Re: Laptop fails to switch batteries

Joachim Breitner-2
Dear Henrique,

Am Dienstag, den 04.07.2017, 10:22 -0300 schrieb Henrique de Moraes
Holschuh:

> On Tue, 04 Jul 2017, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I have a T460s with two internal batteries, running Debian unstable
> > (4.9.0-3-amd64). No special power management tools installed.
> >
> > Initially, it was fine: The laptop would use battery 1 until almost
> > empty, and then start using battery 0. But since a few weeks, it often
> > happens that as battery 0 gets depleted, the laptop simply and without
> > warning shuts down.
> >
> > Is that a known problem, and does it have a known fix?
>
> Never heard of it, but... does it work with just battery 1?  i.e. have
> you tested that battery 1 is working by itself?
well, I did not take battery 0 out, but I observe that battery 0 is not
being used while battery 1 is deplete.

> Are you using the tp_smapi ? if so, what does it say about the
> batteries?

No. As far as I can tell, I have not loaded any thinkpad-specific
modules besides thinkpad_acpi.

Thanks,
Joachim

--