Lost WiFi on upgrading T61 to Fedora-21

Timothy Murphy-4
I upgraded my Thinkpad T61 to Fedora-21 with fedup
(the Fedora upgrade problem)
and WiFi no longer works.
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?
I'm not sure if this is due to a new kernel -
I didn't notice what the old kernel was,
but I don't think there was a big change - it's now 3.17.4 .
The WiFi card is Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 .

I'd be very interested to know if anyone with a T61
has met this problem?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Re: Lost WiFi on upgrading T61 to Fedora-21

avrunin (Bugzilla)
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 23:16:35 +0000, Athanasios Velios wrote:

> Same problem here on  X220 (centrino N6205). lspci reports the adapter
> correctly.
>
> On 13 December 2014 12:07:23 GMT+00:00, Timothy Murphy
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >I upgraded my Thinkpad T61 to Fedora-21 with fedup
> >(the Fedora upgrade problem)
> >and WiFi no longer works.
> >I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?
> >I'm not sure if this is due to a new kernel -
> >I didn't notice what the old kernel was,
> >but I don't think there was a big change - it's now 3.17.4 .
> >The WiFi card is Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 .
> >
> >I'd be very interested to know if anyone with a T61
> >has met this problem?

I haven't tried wireless yet, or even wired on a Thinkpad, but a few
minutes ago I finished upgrading (via fedup) to Fedora 21 on my home
desktop, and dhcp (as a client) isn't working. I'm able to get the network
working fine using a static connection configured in NetworkManager, but I
haven't been able to get an address via dhcp.  I haven't had time to do
more than the quickest google search for Fedora 21 dhcp problems, but I
haven't found anything.

So I'm just suggesting you might check the logs for the dhcp negotiation
and see if that's happening.

  George

Re: Lost WiFi on upgrading T61 to Fedora-21

Athanasios Velios
With the first round of updates for 21 a new kernel version landed and
wireless is back on the X220. The 3G modem still does not seem to work,
though.

On 14/12/14 21:04, George Avrunin wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 23:16:35 +0000, Athanasios Velios wrote:
>
>> Same problem here on  X220 (centrino N6205). lspci reports the adapter
>> correctly.
>>
>> On 13 December 2014 12:07:23 GMT+00:00, Timothy Murphy
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I upgraded my Thinkpad T61 to Fedora-21 with fedup
>>> (the Fedora upgrade problem)
>>> and WiFi no longer works.
>>> I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?
>>> I'm not sure if this is due to a new kernel -
>>> I didn't notice what the old kernel was,
>>> but I don't think there was a big change - it's now 3.17.4 .
>>> The WiFi card is Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 .
>>>
>>> I'd be very interested to know if anyone with a T61
>>> has met this problem?
>>>

> I haven't tried wireless yet, or even wired on a Thinkpad, but a few
> minutes ago I finished upgrading (via fedup) to Fedora 21 on my home
> desktop, and dhcp (as a client) isn't working. I'm able to get the network
> working fine using a static connection configured in NetworkManager, but I
> haven't been able to get an address via dhcp.  I haven't had time to do
> more than the quickest google search for Fedora 21 dhcp problems, but I
> haven't found anything.
>
> So I'm just suggesting you might check the logs for the dhcp negotiation
> and see if that's happening.
>
>    George

Re: Lost WiFi on upgrading T61 to Fedora-21

avrunin (Bugzilla)
I now see an issue about DHCP in the F21 Common Bugs
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F21_bugs).  I'm at work, so I haven't
tried the workaround suggested there.  The problem is apparently that some
popular routers are not standards-compliant, and F21 sends the
client-identifier in a different format than F20 did. (My router is a Linksys
E4200.)

So this might be a source of connection problems, depending on the dhcp
server you're dealing with.

  George