Map Fn keys to multimedia events?

Rubin Abdi
I just recently switched to an X1 Carbon 4th gen, Debian with KDE 5.something. I also have a Lenovo wireless Thinkpad keyboard.

On the wireless keyboard F10 - F12s in combination with the Fn key being held down initiate the multimedia events previous song, pause/play and next song. Sadly the X1's keyboard has no multimedia buttons that I can see. At the moment F10 - F12 are bound to silly things like mimicking OS X's expose view and "search".

I'm wondering if there's a way to map the events that happen when I press those less needed Fn key combos on my X1 to other things like multimedia events so that it will more willingly get picked up by other music apps?

Thanks!

Re: Map Fn keys to multimedia events?

Richard Neill-4

On 11/08/16 22:44, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's a way to map the events that happen when I
> press those less needed Fn key combos on my X1 to other things like
> multimedia events so that it will more willingly get picked up by other
> music apps?

Hi Rubin,

Generally there are 3 kinds of key events - the regular X11 ones, some
strange ACPI events (e.g. lid-close), and some weird things that the
BIOS intercepts (usually these are related the the Fn-key).

If you're in luck, use xev  (X event viewer) and give the xev window
focus, to display the key combinations that are pressed. Then you can
use Xmodmap to re-map the keys, or Xbindkeys to make the key trigger
some specific command.

If the keypress doesn't show up in Xev, you're probably out of luck

HTH,

Richard