Noise and Power Consumption of T20 and T23

Noise and Power Consumption of T20 and T23

Hannes Kuhnert
Now I've been using a Thinkpad T20 for several months and I really like it:
Most time the fan isn't running, hence it operates quite quiet.

My sister would like to have a notebook, too, and she should get one of these:

        T20 featuring Mobile Pentium III 750MHz 319€
        T23 featuring Mobile Pentium III-M 1000MHz 369€

I'm expecting the T23 to be clearly more powerful and that would justify the
higher price.

Information about the CPU on <http://thinkwiki.org> lets me assume, that the
T23 consumes more power than the T20. Is that right? Is it relevant, if one
does the same things - I mean only writing, e-mailing and things like that -
on both machines?

Can the T23 be operated without the fan running as well as the T20 at low
load?

Which one of T20-750 and T23-1000 would you choose and why? What are
significant differences?

BTW, has anyone else experienced a Thinkpad interfering with FM Radio? Mine
does, the AC Adaptor does it even more, not to mention the notebook switched
on on AC power.
--
Hannes Kuhnert, Chemnitz, Germany

Re: Noise and Power Consumption of T20 and T23

Tino Keitel
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 21:29:44 +0100, Hannes Kuhnert wrote:

> Now I've been using a Thinkpad T20 for several months and I really like it:
> Most time the fan isn't running, hence it operates quite quiet.
>
> My sister would like to have a notebook, too, and she should get one of these:
>
> T20 featuring Mobile Pentium III 750MHz 319?
> T23 featuring Mobile Pentium III-M 1000MHz 369?
>
> I'm expecting the T23 to be clearly more powerful and that would justify the
> higher price.
>
> Information about the CPU on <http://thinkwiki.org> lets me assume, that the
> T23 consumes more power than the T20. Is that right? Is it relevant, if one
> does the same things - I mean only writing, e-mailing and things like that -
> on both machines?

The T23 has a newer chipset (i830M) instead of the BX chipset in the
T20. This results e.g. in much cheaper memory upgrades. It's harder and
more expensive to find modules larger than 128 MB for the T20, whereas
the T23 eats cheap PC133 512 MB modules. But if you just write emails,
the T20 should be good enough with its power.

> Can the T23 be operated without the fan running as well as the T20 at low
> load?

On my T23/1133 MHz, when running at full CPU speed, the fan will
regular run for a short time, but it doesn't make much noise. When I
use Speedstep to run it at 731 MHz and noflushd to spin down the
harddisk, it will run without running the fan at all if there is not
much CPU load.

> Which one of T20-750 and T23-1000 would you choose and why? What are
> significant differences?

The T23 has newer sound, a newer chipset, newer graphics, cheaper
memory upgrades, the T20 can use a modem without Linux support (3com),
the T23 has two USB ports.

Regards,
Tino

Re: Noise and Power Consumption of T20 and T23

Marius Gedminas
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:29:44PM +0100, Hannes Kuhnert wrote:

> Now I've been using a Thinkpad T20 for several months and I really like it:
> Most time the fan isn't running, hence it operates quite quiet.
>
> My sister would like to have a notebook, too, and she should get one of these:
>
> T20 featuring Mobile Pentium III 750MHz 319€
> T23 featuring Mobile Pentium III-M 1000MHz 369€
>
> Can the T23 be operated without the fan running as well as the T20 at low
> load?
I had a T23 with Pentium III-M 866 MHz.  The fan would come up every 20
minutes or so and spin for a while.  It annoyed me slightly.  I choose
a more conservative CPU frequency and ran the machine always at 666 MHz.
The fan now would only come up once every few hours.

That was during regular use, while the CPU was mostly idle.  During
compilation, or when running a OpenGL screensaver, when the cpu was
running at 100%, the fan would come up after a couple of minutes.

> Which one of T20-750 and T23-1000 would you choose and why? What are
> significant differences?

T23-1000, because it's faster.  Even though I don't need the CPU power
all the time, when I do need it (to run a full unit test suite for a
software project), I really need it.

(Which is why now I have a 1.6 GHz T42.)

Marius Gedminas
--
If nothing else helps, read the documentation.

Re: Noise and Power Consumption of T20 and T23

Ted Frater-2
Hannes Kuhnert wrote:

>Now I've been using a Thinkpad T20 for several months and I really like it:
>Most time the fan isn't running, hence it operates quite quiet.
>
>My sister would like to have a notebook, too, and she should get one of these:
>
> T20 featuring Mobile Pentium III 750MHz 319?
> T23 featuring Mobile Pentium III-M 1000MHz 369?
>
>I'm expecting the T23 to be clearly more powerful and that would justify the
>higher price.
>
>Information about the CPU on <http://thinkwiki.org> lets me assume, that the
>T23 consumes more power than the T20. Is that right? Is it relevant, if one
>does the same things - I mean only writing, e-mailing and things like that -
>on both machines?
>
>Can the T23 be operated without the fan running as well as the T20 at low
>load?
>
>Which one of T20-750 and T23-1000 would you choose and why? What are
>significant differences?
>
>BTW, has anyone else experienced a Thinkpad interfering with FM Radio? Mine
>does, the AC Adaptor does it even more, not to mention the notebook switched
>on on AC power.

Go for the T23 because
It has the faster processor,
 will take 1gig of ram, the T20 will only take 512megs
 the T23 can be found with a 1400 by 1050 res screen on a 14in diagonal,
if your lucky.

 It can also be updated to wireless. Ive had one of these through my
hands earlier this year and it was a lovely machine.
 as for the other questions, Im not able to help you.
IF you can find an A20P or an A21P these are larger  ie desktop
replacement  laptops, there the best that IBM made at that
time.
 Tho you might have to pay a premium for one with the 1600 by 1200
screen on a 15in diagonal.
Theres much more to a thinkpad than the processor.
 Screen quality is just as important.
 Even more so if you want to do digital phtograpy editing.
 the low res ie 1024 by 768 are unsuitable for this work.
Hope th isis of some help.
I use an A21P every day, running linux Suse 10 with a fritz pcmcia isdn
modem,

Ted Frater schrieb:
> Go for the T23 because
> It has the faster processor,
>  will take 1gig of ram, the T20 will only take 512megs

I don't care much about it. 256MB have to suffice.

>  the T23 can be found with a 1400 by 1050 res screen on a 14in diagonal,
> if your lucky.

I know that it exists, but I haven't seen an offer yet. SXGA isn't bad if one
has suitable fonts for GUI.

> IF you can find an A20P or an A21P these are larger  ie desktop
> replacement  laptops, there the best that IBM made at that
> time.

They are probably to big and the X-series are to small, that means it has to
be a T-model.

> Theres much more to a thinkpad than the processor.

Of course, I would never consider the CPU the primary criterion on choosing a
Computer. Right now I'm using KDE on Debian Sarge on my Desktop with a
Pentium II with exactly 233.869MHz. It's a bit slow, but it works.

>  Screen quality is just as important.

Are there any noticable differences between older ThinkPads in screen quality?

Hannes Kuhnert wrote:

>Ted Frater schrieb:
>

>>Go for the T23 because
>>It has the faster processor,
>> will take 1gig of ram, the T20 will only take 512megs
>>

>I don't care much about it. 256MB have to suffice.
>

>> the T23 can be found with a 1400 by 1050 res screen on a 14in diagonal,
>>if your lucky.
>>

>I know that it exists, but I haven't seen an offer yet. SXGA isn't bad if one
>has suitable fonts for GUI.
>

>>IF you can find an A20P or an A21P these are larger  ie desktop
>>replacement  laptops, there the best that IBM made at that
>>time.
>>

>They are probably to big and the X-series are to small, that means it has to
>be a T-model.
>

>>Theres much more to a thinkpad than the processor.
>>

>Of course, I would never consider the CPU the primary criterion on choosing a
>Computer. Right now I'm using KDE on Debian Sarge on my Desktop with a
>Pentium II with exactly 233.869MHz. It's a bit slow, but it works.
>

>> Screen quality is just as important.
>>

>Are there any noticable differences between older ThinkPads in screen quality?

Screen quality?
 trhis can vary what ever the model thinkpad.
 Generally tho, any thinkpad brfore the A, T and X range have duller
back lights.
and slower video chips.
IF you can get to see the one you wish to buy then you can judge if its
good enough.
 If its had 3 years of hard use in a corporate enviromen tthen it will
be tired.
 the A range however were supplied to the higher officers of big
corporate organisations,
they had to have better ones than the average office worker, therefore
they didnt get as much use
and these people generally had secretaries to do their paperwork for them.
So from the wear /screen life expectancy, there a better bet.
just my personal experience.
 As for memory, get as much as you can,. Im running Suse 10 with 512 meg.
2/3rds of this is used up in operation. No swap file on the hard drive
is in operation.
 Hope this helps.
 ted.