Quantcast

PCI Bus power saving

Shem Multinymous
Hi,

Under Windows, the ThinkPad power manager offers the following options
(quoting PWRMGR.CHM)

PCI Bus - Automatic/Disable: If you select Automatic, the PCI Bus
clock is stopped if there is no activity. If you select Disable, the
battery life will be shorter.

CPU - Automatic/Disable: If you select Automatic, then when there is
no system activity for a specified interval, the power-saving function
is enabled and the microprocessor clock is stopped automatically. If
you select Disable, the battery life will be shorter.

There are similar options in the BIOS.

Does anyone know what they do exactly, and whether Linux can do that too?

  Shem

Re: PCI Bus power saving

Alex Deucher
On 8/2/06, Shem Multinymous <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Under Windows, the ThinkPad power manager offers the following options
> (quoting PWRMGR.CHM)
>
> PCI Bus - Automatic/Disable: If you select Automatic, the PCI Bus
> clock is stopped if there is no activity. If you select Disable, the
> battery life will be shorter.

FWIW, years ago you had to disable the PCI power management in the
BIOS or the soundcard didn't work.  there was even a hack in the sound
driver (thinkpad=1) that would disable it after the fact.  I think
everything just works now.

Alex

> CPU - Automatic/Disable: If you select Automatic, then when there is
> no system activity for a specified interval, the power-saving function
> is enabled and the microprocessor clock is stopped automatically. If
> you select Disable, the battery life will be shorter.
>
> There are similar options in the BIOS.
>
> Does anyone know what they do exactly, and whether Linux can do that too?
>
>   Shem

Re: PCI Bus power saving

Noah Dain
On 8/2/06, Alex Deucher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/2/06, Shem Multinymous <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Under Windows, the ThinkPad power manager offers the following options
> > (quoting PWRMGR.CHM)
> >
> > PCI Bus - Automatic/Disable: If you select Automatic, the PCI Bus
> > clock is stopped if there is no activity. If you select Disable, the
> > battery life will be shorter.
>
> FWIW, years ago you had to disable the PCI power management in the
> BIOS or the soundcard didn't work.  there was even a hack in the sound
> driver (thinkpad=1) that would disable it after the fact.  I think
> everything just works now.
>
> Alex
>

> > CPU - Automatic/Disable: If you select Automatic, then when there is
> > no system activity for a specified interval, the power-saving function
> > is enabled and the microprocessor clock is stopped automatically. If
> > you select Disable, the battery life will be shorter.
> >
> > There are similar options in the BIOS.
> >
> > Does anyone know what they do exactly, and whether Linux can do that too?
> >
> >   Shem
> > --

there are linux tools to adjust such settings:
http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/

Although, they do seem outdated.  There are links to a newer kernel
module for smapi tho.

--
Noah Dain
"I don't want to make toys, I want to be a dentist!"

Re: PCI Bus power saving

Tino Keitel-3
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 00:31:58 -0400, Noah Dain wrote:

[...]

> there are linux tools to adjust such settings:
> http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/
>
> Although, they do seem outdated.  There are links to a newer kernel
> module for smapi tho.

tp_smapi was written by the original poster :-)

Regards,
Tino

Re: PCI Bus power saving

Shem Multinymous
On 8/3/06, Noah Dain <[hidden email]> wrote:
> there are linux tools to adjust such settings:
> http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/

Not these ones:

tpctl-4.17/README:CPUPOWER                    would be nice
tpctl-4.17/README:PCIBUSPOWER                 would be nice

  Shem