Problem with trying to install a PC133 memory in IBM 600E

Problem with trying to install a PC133 memory in IBM 600E

aprekates
Greetings to the list.

i'm proud owner and user of a thinkpad  600E

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:600E

Unfortunately trying to upgrade its memory i bought
a PC133 memory module. When its plugged in in either
of one memory slots (even alone) (i've tested all possible
setups with or without a companion old working pc66 module)
and unfortunately the machine will just display the memory count
and it kindof freezes. Even F1 to bios diagnostics wont work. In
the spirit of the manual i'm in the 'No Beep Syptoms' category.

So i guess the memory is faulty ? or i there are PC133 (newer?) types
not compatible with my chipset.

The diacritics of the memory's sticker:
Samsung
KR 0545
M464S3254EUS-L7A
PC133S-333-542
256MB Sync 133MHZ CL3

On chip :

SAMSUNG 133
K4S561632B-TL75
ABE938XX KOREA

I bought if from ebay

Alexandros

Re: Problem with trying to install a PC133 memory in IBM 600E

cristian bono
Nize

Same Day Computer Service
Tel - 6314842735

I buy :
Working Non working or working Iphones Ipads
Audio Turntables
Nakamichi Technics Denon Pioneer
Laptops Working or Working
Vintage car phones
631-484-2735

> On Oct 9, 2018, at 1:40 PM, "aprekates" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings to the list.
>
> i'm proud owner and user of a thinkpad  600E
>
> https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:600E
>
> Unfortunately trying to upgrade its memory i bought
> a PC133 memory module. When its plugged in in either
> of one memory slots (even alone) (i've tested all possible
> setups with or without a companion old working pc66 module)
> and unfortunately the machine will just display the memory count
> and it kindof freezes. Even F1 to bios diagnostics wont work. In
> the spirit of the manual i'm in the 'No Beep Syptoms' category.
>

> So i guess the memory is faulty ? or i there are PC133 (newer?) types
> not compatible with my chipset.
>
> The diacritics of the memory's sticker:
> Samsung
> KR 0545
> M464S3254EUS-L7A
> PC133S-333-542
> 256MB Sync 133MHZ CL3
>
> On chip :
>
> SAMSUNG 133
> K4S561632B-TL75
> ABE938XX KOREA
>
> I bought if from ebay
>
> Alexandros

Re: Problem with trying to install a PC133 memory in IBM 600E

Bjørn Mork
aprekates <[hidden email]> writes:

> Greetings to the list.
>
> i'm proud owner and user of a thinkpad  600E
>
> https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:600E
>
> Unfortunately trying to upgrade its memory i bought
> a PC133 memory module. When its plugged in in either
> of one memory slots (even alone) (i've tested all possible
> setups with or without a companion old working pc66 module)
> and unfortunately the machine will just display the memory count
> and it kindof freezes. Even F1 to bios diagnostics wont work. In
> the spirit of the manual i'm in the 'No Beep Syptoms' category.
>

> So i guess the memory is faulty ? or i there are PC133 (newer?) types
> not compatible with my chipset.
>
> The diacritics of the memory's sticker:
> Samsung
> KR 0545
> M464S3254EUS-L7A
> PC133S-333-542
> 256MB Sync 133MHZ CL3
>
> On chip :
>
> SAMSUNG 133
> K4S561632B-TL75
> ABE938XX KOREA
>
> I bought if from ebay

PC133 should normally not be a problem. That's only the max speed
rating.  It will work as PC66 in your laptop.  But the 600E has a 440BX
chipset according to https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_440BX , and
that puts some further restrictions on the modules.

Quoting from the "Densities" section at
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=341021 :

 "The newer 32Mx4 and higher parts often seen in 256MB and 512MB DIMMs
  are not compatible."

I believe the module you have use such chips. Counting chips give you an
indication... As well as googling for the parts.

It might be easier to find a 256MB PC100 module than a PC133 module with
the correct low density chips.  A quick search on eBay shows that there
are a few of those available.  But I don't dare pointing at any specific
one, as I will NOT guarantee that any of them works....

Bjørn

Re: Problem with trying to install a PC133 memory in IBM 600E

aprekates
Thank you for the reply.

I wasnt aware of the density aspect .
I'll try to find a more compatible .