R500 suddenly won't post

dave

I have a Thinkpad R500 that I'm preparing for sale.  Prior to this
trouble, it worked fine.  I installed Debian 8 on it, forgetting that it
wasn't plugged in, so the build aborted halfway into it.  So I let it
fully recharge.  When I press the power button, the numlock, capslock, and
AC lights turn on.  Then the capslock and numlock turn off.  The computer
then sits there with a blank screen doing nothing indefinitely.  Pressing
the power switch again will turn the AC light off, leaving the plug and
battery lights lit.

Where do I go from here?

--
David Griffith
[hidden email]

A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Re: R500 suddenly won't post

Rainer H. Rauschenberg
On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad R500 that I'm preparing for sale.  Prior to this trouble, it
> worked fine.  I installed Debian 8 on it, forgetting that it wasn't plugged
> in, so the build aborted halfway into it.  So I let it fully recharge.  When I
> press the power button, the numlock, capslock, and AC lights turn on.  Then
> the capslock and numlock turn off.  The computer then sits there with a blank
> screen doing nothing indefinitely.  Pressing the power switch again will turn
> the AC light off, leaving the plug and battery lights lit.

Long press power to turn it fully off.

Make sure to insert a bootable CD/DVD or USB-Stick.

Turn it on again, should boot from CD/DVD/USB (if not: check
BIOS-boot-order).

If that still fails: Pull out battery and disconnect while switched off
hard (long press power), reconnect without battery, try to boot from
CD/DVD/USB.

Re: R500 suddenly won't post

Phil Shotton-2
The boot partition on the disk is probably hosed but it should still
go into setup, and should still boot from other media. How did you
install Debian? From a CD/DVD? If so it should boot from that again.
You might need to change the boot order in the setup screen so that it
doesn't try to boot from the hard disk.
Good luck!

On 3 November 2015 at 01:49,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad R500 that I'm preparing for sale.  Prior to this trouble,
> it worked fine.  I installed Debian 8 on it, forgetting that it wasn't
> plugged in, so the build aborted halfway into it.  So I let it fully
> recharge.  When I press the power button, the numlock, capslock, and AC
> lights turn on.  Then the capslock and numlock turn off.  The computer then
> sits there with a blank screen doing nothing indefinitely.  Pressing the
> power switch again will turn the AC light off, leaving the plug and battery
> lights lit.
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> --
> David Griffith
> [hidden email]
>
> A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Re: R500 suddenly won't post

Paul Seelig-3
On 11/03/2015 02:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Where do I go from here?

Have you already tried this trick?

* unplug the AC adapter and take out the battery
* push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals
* push and hold the power button for 30 seconds
* put the battery back in and turn on the Thinkpad
* the machine should start normally as if nothing happened

This reliably worked/works for me on T23, T60, T61, and an X220.

Some references:

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-710454-my-lenovo-laptop-won-t-start-power
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-can-t-turn-on-weird-problem/td-p/629465
http://www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/

Also seems to work for oter laptop brands:

http://superuser.com/questions/190494/what-does-the-thinkpad-power-button-trick-do
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-G62-Notebook-PC-series/4078809/model/4194864/document/c01443371

Regards,
Paul