Re: Re: IBM Thinkpad R51 w/ Ubuntu Linux Installed

Re: Re: IBM Thinkpad R51 w/ Ubuntu Linux Installed

Jaime Iniesta
I'm using Ubuntu on the R52 and everything works fine. I didn't try the modem yet.

Jaime

2005/11/17, Sandip Bhattacharya <[hidden email]>:
Hakim Singhji wrote:
> So again, is anyone using an IBM Thinkpad R51 with Linux installed,
> particularly Debian or Ubuntu installs? If so have you had any
> problems specific to your machine?

I am using Kubuntu 5.10 on my R51. No issues. The only annoying thing
was during installation when I had to configure a wired connection so
that I can download wpasupplicant before I could get wireless working.

Oh yes, mine is a dual boot. Windows XP home installed on the other one.
I have removed the predesktop partition. Instead of that, I use Acronis
True Image to create a partition where I can take backups or restore
both the windows and the linux partitions.

I had a bad time with Hoary and software suspend. So I have been using
hibernate instead, and it works fine for me.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     [hidden email]
Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capitán planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

Re: Re: IBM Thinkpad R51 w/ Ubuntu Linux Installed

Noah Dain
On 12/6/05, Jaime Iniesta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using Ubuntu on the R52 and everything works fine. I didn't try the
> modem yet.
>
>  Jaime
>
> 2005/11/17, Sandip Bhattacharya <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hakim Singhji wrote:
> > > So again, is anyone using an IBM Thinkpad R51 with Linux installed,
> > > particularly Debian or Ubuntu installs? If so have you had any
> > > problems specific to your machine?
> >
> > I am using Kubuntu 5.10 on my R51. No issues. The only annoying thing
> > was during installation when I had to configure a wired connection so
> > that I can download wpasupplicant before I could get wireless working.
> >
> > Oh yes, mine is a dual boot. Windows XP home installed on the other one .
> > I have removed the predesktop partition. Instead of that, I use Acronis
> > True Image to create a partition where I can take backups or restore
> > both the windows and the linux partitions.
> >
> > I had a bad time with Hoary and software suspend. So I have been using
> > hibernate instead, and it works fine for me.
> >
> > - Sandip
> >
> > --
> > Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     [hidden email]
> > Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog
> >
> > PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3
> >
> > --

ubuntu also has specific support for thinkpads.  In the universe
repository is the package 'thinkpad-base' and 'tpb'.

thinkpad-base gets you some special perks, like a maximiser app.  tpb
is think-pad-buttons, which gets you special button support and
on-screen display messages (volume changes, thinklight on/off, etc.)

be sure to check /etc/defaults for configuration options after installation .

--
Noah Dain

Re: Re: IBM Thinkpad R51 w/ Ubuntu Linux Installed

Serhan D. KIYMAZ
I'm also using R51. Everything works perfectly with Breezy.
Serhan

Jaime Iniesta wrote:

> I'm using Ubuntu on the R52 and everything works fine. I didn't try
> the modem yet.
>
> Jaime
>
> 2005/11/17, Sandip Bhattacharya <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hakim Singhji wrote:
>     > So again, is anyone using an IBM Thinkpad R51 with Linux installed,
>     > particularly Debian or Ubuntu installs? If so have you had any
>     > problems specific to your machine?
>
>     I am using Kubuntu 5.10 on my R51. No issues. The only annoying thing
>     was during installation when I had to configure a wired connection so
>     that I can download wpasupplicant before I could get wireless working.
>
>     Oh yes, mine is a dual boot. Windows XP home installed on the
>     other one.
>     I have removed the predesktop partition. Instead of that, I use
>     Acronis
>     True Image to create a partition where I can take backups or restore
>     both the windows and the linux partitions.
>
>     I had a bad time with Hoary and software suspend. So I have been
>     using
>     hibernate instead, and it works fine for me.
>
>     - Sandip
>
>     --
>     Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog:
>     http://www.sandipb.net/blog <http://www.sandipb.net/blog>
>
>     PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3
>
>     --

> Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit?n planeta
> email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
> webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

--

*Serhan D. KIYMAZ*
Serotizm
Web&Mobile Application Developer
www.serotizm.com <http://www.netpia.com.tr>
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Get Firefox!
<http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=134847&t=57> Get
Thunderbird <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/> Get
OpenOffice! <http://openoffice.org>
Firefox is the free open-source alternative to Microsoft's Internet
Explorer. Support this community effort to take on the might of
Microsoft. Check their web page for more information.
        Thunderbird is the free open-source alternative to Microsoft's Outlook
or Outlook Express. It is an excellent mail client. Check their web page
for more information.
        Open Office is another free open-source project. This is a
full-featured complete office package easily matching Microsoft's
horrendously expensive Office package. Free for download. Try it out!