Re: T43p problem with ACPI and battery status

Re: T43p problem with ACPI and battery status

Osho GG
On 11/29/05, Ziga Mahkovec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 09:18 -0800, Osho GG wrote:
> > On 11/28/05, Ziga Mahkovec <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Yes, it was mentioned earlier in this thread.  Modify your grub/lilo
> > > configuration and include the following kernel parameter:
> > >
> > >   acpi_serialize
> >
> > I understood that this only partially solves the problem. Is that correct?
>
> It's been working very reliably for me for the last couple of days.  I
> haven't seen any syslog errors either (as Nir reported on acpi4linux).

I started using acpi_serialize and the battery problem has vanished.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Now, my question is what do I lose (performance or features wise) by
using acpi_serialize? I haven't seen any noticeable differences yet.

thanks,
Osho

> --
> Ziga

Re: T43p problem with ACPI and battery status

Ziga Mahkovec
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 23:29 +0200, Nir Tzachar wrote:
> > Using the newly released FC4 kernel-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 (2.6.14.3 based)
> > and the problem is fixed with no kernel command line parameters needed.
>
> is this an SMP kernel? does it use PREEMPT?

Same here, I built 2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 (+libata) and the acpi_serialize
hack is no longer required.  The configuration defaults are:

  # CONFIG_SMP is not set
  # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
  CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y
  # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

--
Ziga

Re: T43p problem with ACPI and battery status

Nir Tzachar
> > is this an SMP kernel? does it use PREEMPT?
>
> Same here, I built 2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 (+libata) and the acpi_serialize
> hack is no longer required.  The configuration defaults are:
>
>   # CONFIG_SMP is not set
>   # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
>   CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y
>   # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

which in fact (if i understand correctly) has the same effect...
since the kernel is no longer preemtible, there is no need to serialize
the acpi code. (the acpi code does not use voluntary preemption as i can
see. correct me if im wrong, as i have not gone too deep into the code).

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 01:21 +0200, Nir Tzachar wrote:

> > Same here, I built 2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 (+libata) and the acpi_serialize
> > hack is no longer required.  The configuration defaults are:
> >
> >   # CONFIG_SMP is not set
> >   # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
> >   CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y
> >   # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
>
> which in fact (if i understand correctly) has the same effect...
> since the kernel is no longer preemtible, there is no need to serialize
> the acpi code. (the acpi code does not use voluntary preemption as i can
> see. correct me if im wrong, as i have not gone too deep into the code).

Note that the same configuration was used for the previous kernel.  But,
more importantly, I got another ACPI reentrancy error today -- looks
like the problem wasn't fixed after all.  So it's back to acpi_serialize
for me :/

--
Ziga

Re: T43p problem with ACPI and battery status

Yury Polyanskiy

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 14:26 +0100, Ziga Mahkovec wrote:

> Note that the same configuration was used for the previous kernel.  But,
> more importantly, I got another ACPI reentrancy error today -- looks
> like the problem wasn't fixed after all.  So it's back to acpi_serialize
> for me :/

Could you please send me kernel version, config and reentrancy error
text message?

> --
> Ziga

Re: T43p problem with ACPI and battery status

Nir Tzachar
>> Note that the same configuration was used for the previous kernel.  But,
>> more importantly, I got another ACPI reentrancy error today -- looks
>> like the problem wasn't fixed after all.  So it's back to acpi_serialize
>> for me :/
>
> Could you please send me kernel version, config and reentrancy error
> text message?

please check the following thread: