Reduce CD noise

Jaime Iniesta
Hi!

I'm looking for a way to slow down my CD / DVD drive on the R52 so it makes less noise when reading. This way I can listen quietly to audio CDs or mp3 on CD...

I tried "hdparm -M 128 /media/cdrom" but it didn't work. I'm on Ubuntu 5.10.

Thanks!

--

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capitán planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

Re: Reduce CD noise

Julius Plenz-2
Hi, Jaime!

* Jaime Iniesta <[hidden email]> [2005-12-01 22:12]:
> I'm looking for a way to slow down my CD / DVD drive on the R52 so
> it makes less noise when reading. This way I can listen quietly to
> audio CDs or mp3 on CD...

Look at the BIOS. On my R50e there is an option to slow down the
device. This is really nice, you won't even hear the disc spin up any
more.

I'm searching a way to do that from within linux though, too.

Julius

Re: Reduce CD noise

Laurent Gilson
Hello

Under R51 the best way is to slow it down in the BIOS.

The R52 uses SATA/PATA-converters ... all bets regarding hdparm are off ...

cu

Re: Reduce CD noise

Christian Gruber-2
Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for a way to slow down my CD / DVD drive on the R52 so it
> makes less noise when reading. This way I can listen quietly to audio
> CDs or mp3 on CD...
>
> I tried "hdparm -M 128 /media/cdrom" but it didn't work. I'm on Ubuntu 5.10.
>
> Thanks!

Hi!

Does "eject -x 8" (or any other low number) help?

Christian

Re: Reduce CD noise

Tino Keitel
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 22:08:56 +0100, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for a way to slow down my CD / DVD drive on the R52 so it makes
> less noise when reading. This way I can listen quietly to audio CDs or mp3
> on CD...
>
> I tried "hdparm -M 128 /media/cdrom" but it didn't work. I'm on Ubuntu 5.10 .
>
> Thanks!

I have a Toshiba SD-R2412 combo drive. It has a nice feature which
automatically slows down the disc if only low data rates are required,
e.g. when playing an audio CD or video DVD. This feature was totally
ignored by Toshibas marketing folks, but I like it very much. Does
anyone know if this feature has a fancy name or if other drives can
also do this?

Regards,
Tino

Re: Reduce CD noise

Jaime Iniesta
Hi!

I tried, with no results, both ideas. The bios on my R52 does have an option for the CD, you can choose between "fast", "normal" and "silent". I tried "silent" but it just makes it a little bit quieter, but not really silent.

The command "eject -x 8" didn't change anything, neither.

What to do? There must be a way to reduce the speed and noise of the CD so I can listen to music directly from it.

--

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capitán planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

Re: Reduce CD noise

Shem Multinymous
Hi,

On 12/6/05, Jaime Iniesta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I tried, with no results, both ideas. The bios on my R52 does have an
> option for the CD, you can choose between "fast", "normal" and "silent". I
> tried "silent" but it just makes it a little bit quieter, but not really
> silent.

CD speed is one of the things controlled by SMAPI. If someone figures
out the interface, we can add it to tp_smapi and see if there's a
still-slower mode that's not accessible through the BIOS setting. The
following SMAPI function codes (i.e., content of BX register when
writing 0x80 to port 0xB2) might be relevant:

#define SMAPI_GET_CDROM_STATUS                  0x8220
#define SMAPI_SET_CDROM_STATUS                  0x8221

  Shem

Re: Reduce CD noise

Ignacio Fernández Galván
Jaime Iniesta, 06-12-2005:

> The command "eject -x 8" didn't change anything, neither.
>
> What to do? There must be a way to reduce the speed and noise of the CD
> so I can listen to music directly from it.

With my old computer and distro (RH 7.3) I used "setcd -x 8" for slowing
down the CD. With my ThinkPad R51 I'm using Mandriva 2005 and I remember I
had to search, download and compile setcd because it's not in the
repositories I have, and it has worked when I have tried. What I don't
remember is why I use setcd instead of eject, it may be because I didn't
know eject supported this feature, but it may also be because I tried
eject and it didn't work.

So, my advice: try setcd, you may have to compile it, but you can then
just put the binary in your ~/bin directory.