T420 touchpad and trackpoint not working

T420 touchpad and trackpoint not working

Andreas Ronnquist
Hi

How can I get my touchpad and trackpoint working on a Debian 8? I have
recently got a t420, but cannot get them to work at all.

What packages are required? What kernel modules need to be loaded? I
have tried various thing, such as the synaptics xserver input
driver, but with no luck.

Other than that, the machine is in tip top shape, so I have a hard time
believing they would be simply out of order.

Hint and tips would be much appreciated!

/best
-- Andreas Rönnquist

Re: T420 touchpad and trackpoint not working

Jeffrey L. Taylor-9
Quoting Andreas Ronnquist <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> How can I get my touchpad and trackpoint working on a Debian 8? I have
> recently got a t420, but cannot get them to work at all.
>
> What packages are required? What kernel modules need to be loaded? I
> have tried various thing, such as the synaptics xserver input
> driver, but with no luck.
>
> Other than that, the machine is in tip top shape, so I have a hard time
> believing they would be simply out of order.
>
> Hint and tips would be much appreciated!

Are you sure they are enabled in the BIOS?  I detest touchpads and have
disabled it in the BIOS.  There wasn't a reliable way to disable it in
software when I bought my T520.

HTH,
  Jeffrey

Re: T420 touchpad and trackpoint not working

Andreas Ronnquist
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 11:25:07 -0500
"Jeffrey L. Taylor" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Quoting Andreas Ronnquist <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi
>>
>> How can I get my touchpad and trackpoint working on a Debian 8? I
>> have recently got a t420, but cannot get them to work at all.
>>
>> What packages are required? What kernel modules need to be loaded? I
>> have tried various thing, such as the synaptics xserver input
>> driver, but with no luck.
>>
>> Other than that, the machine is in tip top shape, so I have a hard
>> time believing they would be simply out of order.
>>
>> Hint and tips would be much appreciated!
>>

>Are you sure they are enabled in the BIOS?  I detest touchpads and have
>disabled it in the BIOS.  There wasn't a reliable way to disable it in
>software when I bought my T520.

Thanks!

I did get it to work (they weren't disabled in bios) - installing
packages and playing around with settings, and then after a restart, it
suddenly works.

Unfortunately I am not 100% sure what I did though, I need to go through
my history for that...

Anyway, thanks!

best regards
/Andreas

Seeking old T61 or T61p SXGA+ used or parts

James McCoy
I am wanting to upgrade from my T43 but love my 1400 x 1050 screen too much to downgrade. If I cannot find a working usedor refurb T61 with... am seeking parts.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

James

Re: Seeking old T61 or T61p SXGA+ used or parts

Paul Seelig-3
Hi James,

it would be helpful to know where roughly are geographically located.

For example, i am located in Spain, so if you were located in Singapore
i wouldn't even bother offering you any of my advanced Frankenpads.

You might be more lucky with a WTB in the http://forum.thinkpads.com
marketplace area, BTW. Check out trusted forum members TuuS and
RealBlackStuff, if you are located in the US.

Regards,
Paul

On 03/18/2016 03:09 PM, James McCoy wrote:
> I am wanting to upgrade from my T43 but love my 1400 x 1050 screen too
> much to downgrade. If I cannot find a working usedor refurb T61 with...
> am seeking parts.
>
> “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
> nothing.”
> Edmund Burke
>
> James

Re: Seeking old T61 or T61p SXGA+ used or parts

Glenn Hollowell-2
I just picked up a T60 lid w/a good 1050x1400 LCD and hinges for $35 on
ebay. The seller has 5 more if you are interested.

it would be helpful to know where roughly are geographically located.

For example, i am located in Spain, so if you were located in Singapore
i wouldn't even bother offering you any of my advanced Frankenpads.

You might be more lucky with a WTB in the http://forum.thinkpads.com
marketplace area, BTW. Check out trusted forum members TuuS and
RealBlackStuff, if you are located in the US.

Regards,
Paul

On 03/18/2016 03:09 PM, James McCoy wrote:

> I am wanting to upgrade from my T43 but love my 1400 x 1050 screen
> too
> much to downgrade. If I cannot find a working usedor refurb T61
> with...
> am seeking parts.
>
> “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
> nothing.”
> Edmund Burke
>
> James

Re: Seeking old T61 or T61p SXGA+ used or parts

Connor Behan
On 19/03/16 07:01 AM, James McCoy wrote:
> I am wanting to upgrade from my T43 but love my 1400 x 1050 screen too much=
>  to downgrade. If I cannot find a working usedor refurb T61 with... am seeking parts.

I have a T60 as well. The system board doesn't work, but any other part
I could give away for the cost of postage.

RE: T420 touchpad and trackpoint not working

James McCoy
How to configure the TrackPoint