T43 will only accept small disk

Timothy Murphy-4
I have three T43's in my ancient machine collection.
They have disks of sizes 60GB, 120GB, 240GB.
One of the machines will only accept the 60GB disk.
(If either of the bigger disks is installed it says
that no operating system is found.)

Is it likely that a BIOS upgrade would solve this problem?
I have looked through the BIOS and don't see
any possible change there.

Any advice gratefully received.

Incidentally, I was about to throw out one of the laptops,
which has an Orinoco WiFi card that no longer works
under any recent version of Linux
but which works under Windows 7.
However, my daughter told me that one of the machines
contains data she wants so I'll have to keep all three
for the moment.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Re: T43 will only accept small disk

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh-2
On Mon, 08 Feb 2016, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have three T43's in my ancient machine collection.
> They have disks of sizes 60GB, 120GB, 240GB.
> One of the machines will only accept the 60GB disk.

Did you try to use a 1GiB ~ 2GiB /boot partition at the start of the disk to
host the kernels and the boot loader?  It should work...

> Is it likely that a BIOS upgrade would solve this problem?
> I have looked through the BIOS and don't see
> any possible change there.

There is no good reason to run outdated firmware in a IBM T4x ThinkPad.
Please update.

  Henrique Holschuh

Re: T43 will only accept small disk

cristian bono
partition manager will do
or plug the new drive to another laptop and partition the drive
them install o/s

> On Feb 8, 2016, at 13:07, "Henrique de Moraes Holschuh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Feb 2016, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I have three T43's in my ancient machine collection.
>> They have disks of sizes 60GB, 120GB, 240GB.
>> One of the machines will only accept the 60GB disk.
>
> Did you try to use a 1GiB ~ 2GiB /boot partition at the start of the disk to
> host the kernels and the boot loader?  It should work...
>
>> Is it likely that a BIOS upgrade would solve this problem?
>> I have looked through the BIOS and don't see
>> any possible change there.
>
> There is no good reason to run outdated firmware in a IBM T4x ThinkPad.
> Please update.
>
> --
>  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
>  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
>  Henrique Holschuh

Re: T43 will only accept small disk

cr-2

On Mon, 08 Feb 2016 12:19:19 Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Incidentally, I was about to throw out one of the laptops,

> which has an Orinoco WiFi card that no longer works

> under any recent version of Linux

> but which works under Windows 7.

> However, my daughter told me that one of the machines

> contains data she wants so I'll have to keep all three

> for the moment.

No need to throw it out.

Disable the on-board Wifi in the BIOS and get a PCMCIA Wifi card (you should be able to get a used one for a couple of bucks on Ebay). Preferably with the Atheros chipset.

That's how I've done Wifi for all my Thinkpads from A20m through R40, R40e, R50, R60 and T400. (Why? because once I'd set up for the card, it was dead easy to just get another card and duplicate the setup each time I added another Thinkpad to the fleet).

I've only - a week ago - changed the T400 to using its internal Wifi - so I can use 802.11n with my new router. These cards only go up to 802.11g (not n) but that's probably as fast as the T43 can use anyway.

That's assuming the T43 has a PCMCIA slot (I'd guess it does).

cr