T430 (was RE: SL 7.2 - Gnome 3.14 - gnome-terminal - titles)

T430 (was RE: SL 7.2 - Gnome 3.14 - gnome-terminal - titles)

Carl Friedberg-3

Greetings,

My first post in a long time. Today, I installed SL 7.2 (workstation options

including Gnome) from the 2-DVD distribution downloaded from the

SL website, onto a Lenovo T430. On reboot, the system hung.

I tried the rescue option, hung also (by hung, I mean a completely black

screen, no way to get a response).

I did try the grub emergency boot, but I don't know enough about SL

to do anything with that.

Just another data point for those who might be interested

Carl Friedberg

www.comets.com

[hidden email]

http://about.me/carl.friedberg

Re: T430 (was RE: SL 7.2 - Gnome 3.14 - gnome-terminal - titles)

Stephen John Smoogen
On 13 May 2016 at 23:37, Carl Friedberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> My first post in a long time. Today, I installed SL 7.2 (workstation options
>
> including Gnome) from the 2-DVD distribution downloaded from the
>
> SL website, onto a Lenovo T430. On reboot, the system hung.

That sounds more like a kernel problem with the hardware. The black
screen means that it is stuck in rhgb quiet mode to make it pretty but
is hiding quietly the real problem. In the grub2 edit of a boot line
remove rhgb and quiet and try a reboot again. It should stop at a
certain point which will help pinpoint the error. [My guess with the
T430 is that it is one of the BIOS update issues. It could also be a
problem with an nvidia extra chipset in some of the units when it is
in a docking unit.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

Questions about T43 type 2687 Thinkpad hardware

James McCoy
1. What are the fastest SDIMM RAM chips that the T43 can use?

2. Would installing ECC (error-checking) SDIMM RAM chips help or hurt performance of the T43?

3. The T43 sees 3 gig RAM at main boot (BIOS) everytime without problem but the OS only sees 2 gig. Is there anyway to trick/upgrade/override 915GM chipset to allow OS to see the same 3 gig that appears on boot?

4. Has anyone heard about (or have experience) using SDHC/SDXC cards with 2.5 inch IDE adapter as less expensive alternative to SSD? I have learned that SDHC cards have read speeds up to 95 meg/sec and write speeds about 45 meg / sec. That seems better perfomance than even 7200 rpm IDE hard drives.

5. Would installing AMD CPU (lower power requirements) be possible in the T43?

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

James

Re: Questions about T43 type 2687 Thinkpad hardware

max danger
Based on T43p 2687D5U
1.  2 x 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz SODIMM Memory (faster memory will
run but be throttled back by board--driving the Ferrari at 25mph)
2.  ECC circuitry not available in T4X units: won't run.
3.  OS problem; OS not stated.
4.  To replace OEM Hitachi 80GB or WD320 IDE replacement hard disk
drives?  T4X drive connector is IDE to IDE/SATA converter.
5.  CPU pin layouts do not match.