T430s restarts after shutdown

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

for a few weeks now (maybe since 3.8), my T430s, running Debian
unstable, started to always boot right after shutting down.

Does anyone observe the same symptoms? Any idea what the cause might me,
or how I might debug this?

Thanks,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

nardev
Same thikpad, running squeeze, everything fine.

On Sun, 2013-06-23 at 15:07 +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for a few weeks now (maybe since 3.8), my T430s, running Debian
> unstable, started to always boot right after shutting down.
>
> Does anyone observe the same symptoms? Any idea what the cause might me,
> or how I might debug this?
>
> Thanks,
> Joachim

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Tamas Papp-2

I have the same laptop, running Debian unstable, currently 3.9-1-amd64,
but never experienced this problem with either this kernel or the
previous kernels.

Best,

Tamas

Am Sonntag, den 23.06.2013, 16:00 +0200 schrieb nardev:
> Same thikpad, running squeeze, everything fine.

ok, good to know, although it probably means that I have to actively
find the cause instead of just waiting until it fixes itself. But how...

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  Jabber: [hidden email]  • GPG-Key: 0x4743206C
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Paul Trevethan
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 22:05:22 +0200
Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 23.06.2013, 17:13 +0200 schrieb Tamas Papp:
> > I have the same laptop, running Debian unstable, currently
> > 3.9-1-amd64, but never experienced this problem with either this
> > kernel or the previous kernels.
>
> Am Sonntag, den 23.06.2013, 16:00 +0200 schrieb nardev:
> > Same thikpad, running squeeze, everything fine.
>
> ok, good to know, although it probably means that I have to actively
> find the cause instead of just waiting until it fixes itself. But
> how...
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

See if you have a package called "kexec-tools" installed. If you do,
remove it. You don't need it and it causes this behaviour (on purpose
for those who want it?).

cheers,
Paul.

--
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Am Montag, den 24.06.2013, 11:50 +1000 schrieb Paul Trevethan:
> See if you have a package called "kexec-tools" installed. If you do,
> remove it. You don't need it and it causes this behaviour (on purpose
> for those who want it?).

thanks for the guess, but I don’t have the kexec-tools installed.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  Jabber: [hidden email]  • GPG-Key: 0x4743206C
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Frank Baumeister-2
Just try "sudo shutdown -r". If then there is the same problem you know
that is not the shutdown program.

regards
Frank

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

keitho-2
I had a similar problem a few months ago, though it was a different
version of Linux. If you google around, you'll see it isn't uncommon,
though I never found a definite cause. Perhaps doing a full system upgrade
will help?

Keith Ostertag

> Hi,
>
> for a few weeks now (maybe since 3.8), my T430s, running Debian
> unstable, started to always boot right after shutting down.
>
> Does anyone observe the same symptoms? Any idea what the cause might me,
> or how I might debug this?
>
> Thanks,
> Joachim

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Robert Thau
Frank Baumeister writes:
 > Just try "sudo shutdown -r". If then there is the same problem you know
 > that is not the shutdown program.

Odd... on my system, -r is the shutdown flag that *requests* an
immediate restart; -h is what I use when I want the machine to go down
and stay down.  (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS --- ancient, I know, but I like
stability.)

rst

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Peter Gantner-2
Hello,

A couple of things to try:

1. Sometimes BIOSes have a setting what to do after "power loss".
Typical options are power on, power off, restore whatever was the
previous power level...

I don't think I have seen it on Thinkpads or laptops in general but it
can't hurt to check.

2. There is a way to tell Linux which ACPI level to use for "power off".
This is typically used for hardware which doesn't do WOL or NVRAM or
even keyboard wakeup in a "deep power-off" level, but does in a higher
one.
It's normally used for hibernate, but it may be related. See under
"reboot=" and "acpi_sleep=" in
<linux-source>/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt .

3. Are using acpi_osi= or friends as a kernel parameter? Possibly the
BIOS does something strange depending on OSI identification?

HTH, good luck

   Peter

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Paul Seelig-3
On 06/23/2013 03:07 PM, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Does anyone observe the same symptoms? Any idea what the cause might me,
> or how I might debug this?

In first place, i'd try to determine whether this is more likely a
software related issue or rather a hardware fault.

I found the same symptoms once with a T500, and it behaved that way
regardless of which OS was installed. It turned out to be a faulty
mainboard. This is not very uncommon and happens once in a while.

Did your system ever had some even minor contact with any kind of liquid
any time before this error condition occurred first? Since you appear to
be German, check out these excellent articles:

http://thinkwiki.de/Fehlersuche_bei_Thinkpads and
http://thinkwiki.de/Erste_Hilfe_bei_Flüssigkeitsschäden

If this happens only as of "maybe since kernel 3.8", does it perform
normal when running the system with a former kernel version? Does the
same issue appear with another OS whose name i shan't mention or another
Linux distribution? Did you try installing another OS in parallel, and
does the same happen too with it?

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Tino Keitel-3
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 15:07:02 +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for a few weeks now (maybe since 3.8), my T430s, running Debian
> unstable, started to always boot right after shutting down.
>
> Does anyone observe the same symptoms? Any idea what the cause might me,
> or how I might debug this?

Do you have Wake on LAN enabled? If yes, you could try if it helps to
disable it.

Regards,
Tino

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Kai-Thorsten Hambrecht-2
Hello,

Am 24.06.2013 15:25, schrieb [hidden email]:
> I had a similar problem a few months ago, though it was a different
> version of Linux. If you google around, you'll see it isn't uncommon,

>> for a few weeks now (maybe since 3.8), my T430s, running Debian
>> unstable, started to always boot right after shutting down.

i have the same issue on my T430s running Fedora-20 (x64). However, the
restart-on-shutdown only happens if i had put the system to suspend2ram
prior. Without a suspend2ram it will shutdown fine. I also had this
earlier on Fedora-19.

Does anyone have a hint on this?

Thanks,
 Kai.

Re: T430s restarts after shutdown

Harald Staub
Hello

(Sorry for the private E-mail, I am not on the list.)

On my X230, I have this problem as well. Since I have updated the
firmware of the SSD, it is not completely solved, but a lot better.

Cheers
  Harry