T440p EFI partition paranoia

vandr0iy
Hi, Thinkpad linux users!
I'd like to hear an opinion of the linux users among you.
I've got a problem with the EFI partition - basically I'm unable to add boot entries, because "EFI Variables are not supported on this system" - which is clearly untrue.

If I mount the NVRAM partition where all the efi vars are (using the command "mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars" ) I can see that it contains only 100-150kb of data (of which the largest one is the logo, with its whopping 61kb, while the others are the BIOS settings, I suppose).

It already happened to me before while I was installing gentoo, but I solved it by removing all the "dump-*" files (as archwiki says https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.ph...erface#Requirements_for_UEFI_variable_support) and creating an entry manually using some efibootmgr CLI magic. I'd also like to avoid booting with that "efi_no_storage_paranoia" kernel parameter all the times I want to install a new OS or to reinstall a bootloader...

Has anybody else ever experienced such a problem? never had anything similar with any other laptop, hence posting it here...