T440s configuration (buying) experiences

T440s configuration (buying) experiences

Carles Pina i Estany-2

Hi,

I'm going to purchase my T440s soon and before I check the boxes I
thought to ask for some experiences of people that I trust.

I'm configuring it in the shop.lenovo.com...

a) Storage: I'm thinking of buying 1TB Hard Disk Drive and 16GB M.2
Solid State Drive Single

My current Debian uses a / partition with only 13GB (/home partition I
use 385G).

I'm sure that I can fit my system in 16GB (I can always move a few
things to the hard disk).

Any experience with this configuration? I can have the /boot in the HDD
and then almost all the system in SSD (but /home in HDD)

b) Wireless: I'm thinking of getting the Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AN
instead of the thinkpad Wireless 2 x 2. Just because seems better, but
any real experience with some of them? Works well using Linux? (Debian)

c) I'm tempted to not buy any Front Battery and buy at some point in the
future. But perhaps the "ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
Front" is only gbp32 and I should buy because it's a good deal? (I'll
look at this soon)

d) HD+ WWAN vs IPS WWAN
Is the IPS the glossy one and HD+ the non-glossy one? Any opinions?

Thank you!

Carles Pina i Estany
        Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat

Re: T440s configuration (buying) experiences

Takis Diakoumis-2
hi

i bought a T440s and am running Debian on it now.

pertinent bits from the order:

ProcessorIntel Core i7-4600U on MB
Hard drive500GB HDD 7200rpm
Total memory12GB PC3-12800 4GBBS+8GB1D
Storage Adapter16GB M.2_SSD Single Win8.1
Display PanelT440s 14.0FHD WWAN
WiFi wireless LAN adaptersIntel 7260 BT ABGN

overall an awesome machine. i do however prefer the old thinkpad
keyboards and the massive trackpad click still feels awkward. its my
fourth thinkpad.

no major issues at all. the screen is just beautiful and crisp.

suspend is fine. wireless fine. sound fine... all fine.

i don't really move around much so my usage is not a good battery life gauge.

only current issue right now (and it could be me) but a recent update
rendered the display brightness zero when booting into gdm3 and then
gnome with a second screen attached. its fine alone. this is still a
problem and i added a startup script for post gdm login and into gnome
to bounce the brightness up.

not using the ssd for anything right now.

hope this helps a little.

thanks
Takis

On 13 November 2014 09:53, Carles Pina i Estany <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to purchase my T440s soon and before I check the boxes I
> thought to ask for some experiences of people that I trust.
>
> I'm configuring it in the shop.lenovo.com...
>
> a) Storage: I'm thinking of buying 1TB Hard Disk Drive and 16GB M.2
> Solid State Drive Single
>
> My current Debian uses a / partition with only 13GB (/home partition I
> use 385G).
>
> I'm sure that I can fit my system in 16GB (I can always move a few
> things to the hard disk).
>
> Any experience with this configuration? I can have the /boot in the HDD
> and then almost all the system in SSD (but /home in HDD)
>
> b) Wireless: I'm thinking of getting the Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AN
> instead of the thinkpad Wireless 2 x 2. Just because seems better, but
> any real experience with some of them? Works well using Linux? (Debian)
>
> c) I'm tempted to not buy any Front Battery and buy at some point in the
> future. But perhaps the "ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
> Front" is only gbp32 and I should buy because it's a good deal? (I'll
> look at this soon)
>
> d) HD+ WWAN vs IPS WWAN
> Is the IPS the glossy one and HD+ the non-glossy one? Any opinions?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina i Estany
>         Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat

quick WiFi question - Re: [ltp] T440s configuration (buying) experiences

Carles Pina i Estany-2

Hi,

You bought a very similar machine :-) (I might get a bigger SSD and no
HDD and IPS for the screen).

Question:
* Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
* Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AN with Bluetooth 4.0

Yesterday I Googled for some time: any reason not to buy the 7260AN?
I found many references regarding AC but not AN. Does AN include all the
AC standards plus something more?

Thank you!

On Nov/13/2014, Takis Diakoumis wrote:

> hi
>
> i bought a T440s and am running Debian on it now.
>
> pertinent bits from the order:
>
> ProcessorIntel Core i7-4600U on MB
> Hard drive500GB HDD 7200rpm
> Total memory12GB PC3-12800 4GBBS+8GB1D
> Storage Adapter16GB M.2_SSD Single Win8.1
> Display PanelT440s 14.0FHD WWAN
> WiFi wireless LAN adaptersIntel 7260 BT ABGN
>
> overall an awesome machine. i do however prefer the old thinkpad
> keyboards and the massive trackpad click still feels awkward. its my
> fourth thinkpad.
>
> no major issues at all. the screen is just beautiful and crisp.
>
> suspend is fine. wireless fine. sound fine... all fine.
>
> i don't really move around much so my usage is not a good battery life gauge.
>
> only current issue right now (and it could be me) but a recent update
> rendered the display brightness zero when booting into gdm3 and then
> gnome with a second screen attached. its fine alone. this is still a
> problem and i added a startup script for post gdm login and into gnome
> to bounce the brightness up.
>
> not using the ssd for anything right now.
>
> hope this helps a little.
>
> thanks
> Takis
>

> On 13 November 2014 09:53, Carles Pina i Estany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm going to purchase my T440s soon and before I check the boxes I
> > thought to ask for some experiences of people that I trust.
> >
> > I'm configuring it in the shop.lenovo.com...
> >
> > a) Storage: I'm thinking of buying 1TB Hard Disk Drive and 16GB M.2
> > Solid State Drive Single
> >
> > My current Debian uses a / partition with only 13GB (/home partition I
> > use 385G).
> >
> > I'm sure that I can fit my system in 16GB (I can always move a few
> > things to the hard disk).
> >
> > Any experience with this configuration? I can have the /boot in the HDD
> > and then almost all the system in SSD (but /home in HDD)
> >
> > b) Wireless: I'm thinking of getting the Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AN
> > instead of the thinkpad Wireless 2 x 2. Just because seems better, but
> > any real experience with some of them? Works well using Linux? (Debian)
> >
> > c) I'm tempted to not buy any Front Battery and buy at some point in the
> > future. But perhaps the "ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
> > Front" is only gbp32 and I should buy because it's a good deal? (I'll
> > look at this soon)
> >
> > d) HD+ WWAN vs IPS WWAN
> > Is the IPS the glossy one and HD+ the non-glossy one? Any opinions?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Carles Pina i Estany
> >         Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat

Re: quick WiFi question - Re: [ltp] T440s configuration (buying) experiences

Carles Pina i Estany-2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#802.11ac

I'm unsure if "802.11n" and "802.11an" is the same... 802.11n was build
on 802.11n

On Nov/14/2014, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> [...]
> > > instead of the thinkpad Wireless 2 x 2. Just because seems better, but
> > > any real experience with some of them? Works well using Linux? (Debian)
> > >
> > > c) I'm tempted to not buy any Front Battery and buy at some point in the
> > > future. But perhaps the "ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
> > > Front" is only gbp32 and I should buy because it's a good deal? (I'll
> > > look at this soon)
> > >
> > > d) HD+ WWAN vs IPS WWAN
> > > Is the IPS the glossy one and HD+ the non-glossy one? Any opinions?
> > >
> > > Thank you!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carles Pina i Estany
> > >         Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat

Re: quick WiFi question - Re: [ltp] T440s configuration (buying) experiences

Bjørn Mork
Carles Pina i Estany <[hidden email]> writes:

> Question:
> * Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
> * Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AN with Bluetooth 4.0
>
> Yesterday I Googled for some time: any reason not to buy the 7260AN?
> I found many references regarding AC but not AN. Does AN include all the
> AC standards plus something more?

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/75620/Intel-Wireless-7200-Series

So none of those cards exist.  If I were to guess, I'd say the "AN" is
most likely a "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260".

Go for the AC card.  But you might want to ask your vendor what they
actually sell, as their descriptions do not match Intel's.

Bjørn

On Nov/14/2014, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> Carles Pina i Estany <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Question:
> > * Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
> > * Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AN with Bluetooth 4.0
> >
> > Yesterday I Googled for some time: any reason not to buy the 7260AN?
> > I found many references regarding AC but not AN. Does AN include all the
> > AC standards plus something more?
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/series/75620/Intel-Wireless-7200-Series
>
> So none of those cards exist.  If I were to guess, I'd say the "AN" is
> most likely a "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260".
>
> Go for the AC card.  But you might want to ask your vendor what they
> actually sell, as their descriptions do not match Intel's.

that was my idea: AC card because I know what it is...

Also, "they don't exist": this explain why yesterday I didn't find good
information in any other page...

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat

Re: quick WiFi question - Re: [ltp] T440s configuration (buying) experiences

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh-2
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> Question:
> * Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
> * Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AN with Bluetooth 4.0

According to Intel ARK:
7260AN = 802.11n  dual-band  (supports 802.11a/b/g/n)
7260AC = 802.11ac dual-band  (supports 802.11ac, 802.11a/b/g/n)

Be warned that none of these cards are capable of AP mode.  They will work
as STAs (i.e. connect to an access point) just fine, of course.  But they
cannot behave as an AP (access point).

  Henrique Holschuh

Re: quick WiFi question - Re: [ltp] T440s configuration (buying) experiences

D. Hugh Redelmeier
| From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <[hidden email]>

| Be warned that none of these cards are capable of AP mode.  They will work
| as STAs (i.e. connect to an access point) just fine, of course.  But they
| cannot behave as an AP (access point).

Really?  That's horrible!  I thought all cards could do AP, STA, and
ad hoc.  Is there some place I can read about this?

I know some of chipsets don't have Linux drivers for AP mode.

I'm not even up to date on whether any open source drivers can do ac.
At one point they could not.

I tried the "iw phy" command on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with a low-end
Intel 7260 (only 2.4GHz band).  It lists AP and AP/VLAN as supported
interface modes.

I tried it on my ThinkPad t530 with an Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300
and there is no AP mode listed.  Crap.  Mind you AP and AP/VLAN are
supported frame types for both TX and RX.  I wonder how that could
work.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <[hidden email]>
> |
> | Be warned that none of these cards are capable of AP mode.  They will
> | work as STAs (i.e. connect to an access point) just fine, of course.
> | But they cannot behave as an AP (access point).
> |
> Really?  That's horrible!  I thought all cards could do AP, STA, and
> ad hoc.  Is there some place I can read about this?

I don't know.  I got this information because I lurk around the kernel ML
related to 802.11 stuff.

BTW, I think I was imprecise.  Apparently, the card can do AP mode on the
2.4GHz band, but I don't know which limitations it has.  It cannot do it at
all in the 5GHz band.

> Intel 7260 (only 2.4GHz band).  It lists AP and AP/VLAN as supported
> interface modes.

Yeah, my bad.  Apparently, AP mode is impossible only in the 5GHz band.

> I tried it on my ThinkPad t530 with an Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300
> and there is no AP mode listed.  Crap.  Mind you AP and AP/VLAN are
> supported frame types for both TX and RX.  I wonder how that could
> work.

IME, if you want more functionality, you should go with Atheros.

  Henrique Holschuh