T580 Debian stretch

Mark Dymek
I want to dual boot windows 10 and Debian. I know Lenovo has good support for Linux but is there any special drivers or anything I need to do to get it working on the T580?

I got the 4K screen along with the nvidia MX150. The MX150 is what gives me pause I know nvidia isn’t known for good Linux support.

Re: T580 Debian stretch

Joerg Bruehe-2
Hi!

On 31.05.2018 22:51, Mark Dymek wrote:
> I want to dual boot windows 10 and Debian. I know Lenovo has good
> support for Linux but is there any special drivers or anything I need to
> do to get it working on the T580?

I'd expect basic Linux to work immediately with a Thinkpad.
For this, "basic" _ex_cludes hibernation and suspend as well as
accelerated graphics.
I have no idea whether recent Windows tunings (no proper shutdown, SSD
caching a rotating disk, ...) will cause trouble.

I'm running a T530 with dual-boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (to
be upgraded soon) without any issues. I intentionally avoided additional
graphics controllers.

> I got the 4K screen along with the nvidia MX150. The MX150 is what gives
> me pause I know nvidia isn’t known for good Linux support.

 From following the literature, my impression is that this is mostly
distribution-dependent. I don't expect Debian to spend effort on
integrating a non-free Nvidia driver into their distribution, but AIUI
Ubuntu does. I have no idea about the others (Fedora, OpenSuSE, ...).

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: T580 Debian stretch

Rubin Abdi
When I did research about the MX150 on a T480s, it looked like you simply grab the non-free drivers from Nvidia through their special installer, drop then in and go. The caveat that I kept on finding was folks needing to reboot each time they wanted to switch between internal graphic, and the battery hungry MX150. That was enough for me to decide not to bother with it and just went with a machine that ran off internal graphic. .

On the other side of things, I run Debian Sid on a ThinkPad T480s without too many headaches or minor issues. It just works for the most part, including Thunderbolt 3. The only thing I haven't gotten working (for lack of need and effort) has been to do something interesting with the IR camera.

I'm not sure what kernel Stretch is stuck on these days, but I imagine you might need to build your own to over come issues, if you hit any.

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018, 04:26 Joerg Bruehe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

On 31.05.2018 22:51, Mark Dymek wrote:
> I want to dual boot windows 10 and Debian. I know Lenovo has good
> support for Linux but is there any special drivers or anything I need to
> do to get it working on the T580?

I'd expect basic Linux to work immediately with a Thinkpad.
For this, "basic" _ex_cludes hibernation and suspend as well as
accelerated graphics.
I have no idea whether recent Windows tunings (no proper shutdown, SSD
caching a rotating disk, ...) will cause trouble.

I'm running a T530 with dual-boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (to
be upgraded soon) without any issues. I intentionally avoided additional
graphics controllers.

> I got the 4K screen along with the nvidia MX150. The MX150 is what gives
> me pause I know nvidia isn’t known for good Linux support.

 From following the literature, my impression is that this is mostly