T60 Core2Duo

Ralph Spitzner
I recently 'upgraded' my T60 to a 2GHz Core2Duo, normally, when running
Linux everything seems fine.
Switching to Windows however the thing seems to get a bit warm...

Any of you know of heatpipe/vent options available ? (FRU No.)

regards
        -rasp

--
Mostly harmless...
        -Douglas Adams

Re: T60 Core2Duo

Richard Neill-4

On 25/02/15 21:05, Ralph Spitzner wrote:
> I recently 'upgraded' my T60 to a 2GHz Core2Duo, normally, when running
> Linux everything seems fine.
> Switching to Windows however the thing seems to get a bit warm...
>
> Any of you know of heatpipe/vent options available ? (FRU No.)

You may need to bend the heatsink a bit - at least some people have had
luck using a penny to press it down more, and you may also find it
useful to change the GPU's thermal interface (which is a thermal pad
about 3mm thick).

In mine, it's really the GPU which is the culprit, as far as I can tell,
even when the machine is idle.

HTH,

Richard

Re: T60 Core2Duo

Matt Jenny
On the T61/p the GPU does not use a thermal pad, it uses thermal paste. Is the thermal pad standard for the GPU on the T60/p?

On Windows there is a utility to manually control the fan speed, called Thinkpad Fan Controller on sourceforge and mentioned on ThinkWiki, I have used that in the passed with some of my hotter running thinkpads. Could you define "a bit warm"? Depending on what model of T60 you have you can replace the fan with one from a T61 or later, but what you could replace the heat sink/fan is dependent on your screen size.

for the 14.1" standard you can use the heat sink/fan from the T61/p 14.1" standard FRU# 42W2820
for the 15.4" wide screen you can go up to the one from the T500, with a little modification, I think you need to remove a few fins, take a look at the Frankenpad article on thinkwiki.de FRU# 45N5492
for the 15" standard I think the same applies to it as the 14.1" standard, but I am not too sure, but you could use the heat sink/fan from a T500 with a little modification, taken from the Frankenpad article on thinkwiki.de and google translated into english, ""I also have the original T60 cooling unit including fan kicked this by one of the.T500er replaced number (FRU 45N5490 for the motherboard with an Intel chipset, FRU 45N5492 for the motherboard with Nvidia chipset) and modified a little: The 3 small fins top left had be removed, because the fan would otherwise not fit under the Displayschanier."

I upgraded my heatsink/fan on my T61 14.1" wide screen a few years ago with the heat sink/fan from a T400, it worked but I had to swap the connector around, iirc the T61 uses a 3 pin fan connector and the T400 uses a 5 pin, but only 3 were used, so it was a simple swap.