Temperature problem with my T41p

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Temperature problem with my T41p

Fred bobby
Hi,

I have a big problem with my T41p running debian etch : when the cpu
burn (dvd rip for example) the temperature increase very quickly until
shutdown (94° Celsius).

But in fact the REAL temperature is not high, because when I check the
heat (put my hand beside the fan out) it's not very hot (not as hot as
I play game under windows for example).

But it's very strange because when the cpu idle the temperature is
correct : between 45 and 50°, and in 1 minute increase until at least
85° Celsius and go on until shutdown.

I tried to solve this problem but I didn't succeed : recompiling
kernel without ACPI and using APM : ok for temperature but even with a
cpufreq governor on performance sometimes the CPU speed is higher
sometimes lower. I changed the kernel (2.6.14 instead 2.6.12) but it's
the same problem : temperature increase very quickly until shutdown.

My motherboard is brand new : just changed by repair center (not for
this problem) and it was the same with the old motherboard : shutdown
when cpu burn.

I need your help. Thanks.
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

U Kuehn
On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:13 +0800, Fred bobby wrote:
>
> I have a big problem with my T41p running debian etch : when the cpu
> burn (dvd rip for example) the temperature increase very quickly until
> shutdown (94° Celsius).
>
At what frequency do you operate your CPU? Have you tried clocking it
down to 600 MHz? Same behavior?

> But in fact the REAL temperature is not high, because when I check the
> heat (put my hand beside the fan out) it's not very hot (not as hot as
> I play game under windows for example).
>
> But it's very strange because when the cpu idle the temperature is
> correct : between 45 and 50°, and in 1 minute increase until at least
> 85° Celsius and go on until shutdown.
>
The 45 to 50 deg Celsius seem rather high. I have a T41, and have
between 35 and 39 deg Celsius when idle, and slightly less now that I
undervolt the CPU a little bit.

Have you tried a cpu freq daemon that also checks the temperature, like
cpuspeed? I personally like that one very much.

> I tried to solve this problem but I didn't succeed : recompiling
> kernel without ACPI and using APM : ok for temperature but even with a
> cpufreq governor on performance sometimes the CPU speed is higher
> sometimes lower. I changed the kernel (2.6.14 instead 2.6.12) but it's
> the same problem : temperature increase very quickly until shutdown.
>
> My motherboard is brand new : just changed by repair center (not for
> this problem) and it was the same with the old motherboard : shutdown
> when cpu burn.
>
I wonder if there is this heat conducting paste between the cpu and the
heat sink. But the repair people should not overlook such a problem,
should they?

Hope this helps a bit,

Ulrich

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Fred bobby
Hi,

I use the on_demand governor so when burning the speed increase until  
1700 Mhz (Pentium-M Bania), but if I clock down the cpu to 600 Mhz :  
the temperature stay under 50°

I'm using the cpufreqd daemon, but I will try cpuspeed if you say you  
use it and work fine, I will try it

Thx a lot for your help. Keep in touch.


On Dec 2, 2005, at 3:11 AM, Ulrich Kuehn wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:13 +0800, Fred bobby wrote:
>>
>> I have a big problem with my T41p running debian etch : when the cpu
>> burn (dvd rip for example) the temperature increase very quickly  
>> until
>> shutdown (94° Celsius).
>>
> At what frequency do you operate your CPU? Have you tried clocking it
> down to 600 MHz? Same behavior?
>
>> But in fact the REAL temperature is not high, because when I check  
>> the
>> heat (put my hand beside the fan out) it's not very hot (not as  
>> hot as
>> I play game under windows for example).
>>
>> But it's very strange because when the cpu idle the temperature is
>> correct : between 45 and 50°, and in 1 minute increase until at least
>> 85° Celsius and go on until shutdown.
>>
> The 45 to 50 deg Celsius seem rather high. I have a T41, and have
> between 35 and 39 deg Celsius when idle, and slightly less now that I
> undervolt the CPU a little bit.
>
> Have you tried a cpu freq daemon that also checks the temperature,  
> like
> cpuspeed? I personally like that one very much.
>
>> I tried to solve this problem but I didn't succeed : recompiling
>> kernel without ACPI and using APM : ok for temperature but even  
>> with a
>> cpufreq governor on performance sometimes the CPU speed is higher
>> sometimes lower. I changed the kernel (2.6.14 instead 2.6.12) but  
>> it's
>> the same problem : temperature increase very quickly until shutdown.
>>
>> My motherboard is brand new : just changed by repair center (not for
>> this problem) and it was the same with the old motherboard : shutdown
>> when cpu burn.
>>
> I wonder if there is this heat conducting paste between the cpu and  
> the
> heat sink. But the repair people should not overlook such a problem,
> should they?
>
> Hope this helps a bit,
>
> Ulrich
>
> --
> The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Damien Challet
On Thursday 01 December 2005 20:25, Bobby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the on_demand governor so when burning the speed increase until
> 1700 Mhz (Pentium-M Bania), but if I clock down the cpu to 600 Mhz :
> the temperature stay under 50°

try to undervolt the cpu. Here are my values:

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
# frequency voltage
600000 700
800000 844
1000000 892
1200000 988
1400000 1100
1700000 1196

when crunching numbers, my CPU temp is 56C max.

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Fred bobby
In reply to this post by U Kuehn
I tried cpuspeed but it's the same problem : so I keep it because it  
loads userspace during the boot, and I add a command line in the /etc/
init.d/cpuspeed for decrease the scaling_max_speed to 1400 Mhz, I  
think the probe doesn't work very well under GNU/linux because my CPU  
is not very hot :/, and no problem under Windows XP. With a max speed  
set at 1400 Mhz the temperature increase until 75° : the  
temperature's shutdown is 94° so it's ok.

For the moment I didn't find a better way for resolve this problem.  
But in fact my T41p it's not my main machine and I don't need a very  
high power (except sometimes for rip DVD or this kind of task), so  
it's not a big deal if my cpu run only at 1400Mhz ;)


Thx a lot for your help.


On Dec 2, 2005, at 3:11 AM, Ulrich Kuehn wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:13 +0800, Fred bobby wrote:
>>
>> I have a big problem with my T41p running debian etch : when the cpu
>> burn (dvd rip for example) the temperature increase very quickly  
>> until
>> shutdown (94° Celsius).
>>
> At what frequency do you operate your CPU? Have you tried clocking it
> down to 600 MHz? Same behavior?
>
>> But in fact the REAL temperature is not high, because when I check  
>> the
>> heat (put my hand beside the fan out) it's not very hot (not as  
>> hot as
>> I play game under windows for example).
>>
>> But it's very strange because when the cpu idle the temperature is
>> correct : between 45 and 50°, and in 1 minute increase until at least
>> 85° Celsius and go on until shutdown.
>>
> The 45 to 50 deg Celsius seem rather high. I have a T41, and have
> between 35 and 39 deg Celsius when idle, and slightly less now that I
> undervolt the CPU a little bit.
>
> Have you tried a cpu freq daemon that also checks the temperature,  
> like
> cpuspeed? I personally like that one very much.
>
>> I tried to solve this problem but I didn't succeed : recompiling
>> kernel without ACPI and using APM : ok for temperature but even  
>> with a
>> cpufreq governor on performance sometimes the CPU speed is higher
>> sometimes lower. I changed the kernel (2.6.14 instead 2.6.12) but  
>> it's
>> the same problem : temperature increase very quickly until shutdown.
>>
>> My motherboard is brand new : just changed by repair center (not for
>> this problem) and it was the same with the old motherboard : shutdown
>> when cpu burn.
>>
> I wonder if there is this heat conducting paste between the cpu and  
> the
> heat sink. But the repair people should not overlook such a problem,
> should they?
>
> Hope this helps a bit,
>
> Ulrich
>
> --
> The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Frank Fiene
In reply to this post by U Kuehn
Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2005 20:11 schrieb Ulrich Kuehn:
> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:13 +0800, Fred bobby wrote:
> > I have a big problem with my T41p running debian etch : when the
> > cpu burn (dvd rip for example) the temperature increase very
> > quickly until shutdown (94? Celsius).

I had also this problem, but it is gone now after few updates from SuSE,
dunno why!

> At what frequency do you operate your CPU? Have you tried clocking it
> down to 600 MHz? Same behavior?
>
> > But in fact the REAL temperature is not high, because when I check
> > the heat (put my hand beside the fan out) it's not very hot (not as
> > hot as I play game under windows for example).
> >
> > But it's very strange because when the cpu idle the temperature is
> > correct : between 45 and 50?, and in 1 minute increase until at
> > least 85? Celsius and go on until shutdown.
>
> The 45 to 50 deg Celsius seem rather high. I have a T41, and have
> between 35 and 39 deg Celsius when idle, and slightly less now that I
> undervolt the CPU a little bit.

My T42p operates at normally 45? with normal work with 600MHz. It is a
Dothan CPU with 2MB Cache, so i don't need 2,13GHz, only if i have to
compile something with gcc. Also waching DVD needs only 600MHz, so i
think my T42p stays in 99% of working time (not completely idle) with
this frequence.

Have you tried ibm-acpi? There you can see the temperatures of different
hardware like CPU, harddisk and GPU.

Frank
--
uniorg Solutions GmbH - M?rkische Strasse 237 - 44141 Dortmund
[hidden email] - Tel:0231-9497-262
--
Ein Unternehmen der uniorg-Gruppe
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Fred bobby
In reply to this post by Damien Challet
J'ai pas /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages sur  
mon système. Comment tu l'as eu ?

I don't have /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages on  
my debian, how did you get it ?

On Dec 2, 2005, at 5:15 AM, Damien Challet wrote:

> On Thursday 01 December 2005 20:25, Bobby wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use the on_demand governor so when burning the speed increase until
>> 1700 Mhz (Pentium-M Bania), but if I clock down the cpu to 600 Mhz :
>> the temperature stay under 50°
>
> try to undervolt the cpu. Here are my values:
>
> # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
> # frequency voltage
> 600000 700
> 800000 844
> 1000000 892
> 1200000 988
> 1400000 1100
> 1700000 1196
>
> when crunching numbers, my CPU temp is 56C max.
>
> --
> The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Macskasi Csaba
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:21:55 +0100, Bobby <[hidden email]> wrote:


> I don't have /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages on my  
> debian, how did you get it ?
>

Here is a howto how to undervolt your cpu / getting the  
scaling_voltages-interface:  
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Pentium_M_undervolting_and_underclocking

However, i could not manage to get undervolting to work with a patched  
vanilla kernel. I can't change the values in the scaling_voltage  
interface. Any clues? Thx.

Csaba
--
Macskasi Csaba
[hidden email]
http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Fred bobby
Hi,

In fact I found why the temperature was so high : the fucking repair  
center doesn't know the thermal paste between fan assembly and cpu/
gpu. They change 2 times my motherboard in 3 months : they let 2  
times the old thermal paste ...

Thx for everybody for help me with this problem : it's solved.

nb : I'm in China so don't worry about other repair center :D


On Dec 3, 2005, at 12:36 AM, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:21:55 +0100, Bobby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> I don't have /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages  
>> on my debian, how did you get it ?
>>
>
> Here is a howto how to undervolt your cpu / getting the  
> scaling_voltages-interface: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ 
> Pentium_M_undervolting_and_underclocking
>
> However, i could not manage to get undervolting to work with a  
> patched vanilla kernel. I can't change the values in the  
> scaling_voltage interface. Any clues? Thx.
>
> Csaba
> --
> Macskasi Csaba
> [hidden email]
> http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/
> --
> The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Damien Challet
In reply to this post by Macskasi Csaba
On Friday 02 December 2005 16:36, Mcskasi Csaba wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:21:55 +0100, Bobby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I don't have /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages on my
> > debian, how did you get it ?
>
> Here is a howto how to undervolt your cpu / getting the
> scaling_voltages-interface:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Pentium_M_undervolting_and_underclocking
>
> However, i could not manage to get undervolting to work with a patched
> vanilla kernel. I can't change the values in the scaling_voltage
> interface. Any clues? Thx.

Here is the script I run in /etc/init.d. Note that your minimum voltages might
be higher (or smaller) than mine. centrino-voltages.diff patch, with vanilla
kernel 2.6.14.2, Banias 1.7GHz.

#!/bin/sh
#
# Please copy this file in /etc/init.d and make it executable

case $1 in
  start)
    echo -n "Reducing Pentium M voltages "
# frequency voltage
    echo 600000 700 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 800000 850 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 1000000 900 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 1200000 1000 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 1400000 1100 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 1700000 1196 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo "done."
    exit 0
    ;;

  restart|reload|force-reload)
    set -e
    echo -n "Restarting Pentium M voltage reduction"
    $0 stop > /dev/null
    $0 start > /dev/null
    echo "done."

    exit 0
    ;;

  stop)

# frequency voltage
    echo -n "Restoring Pentium M voltages ... "
    echo 600000 956  >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 800000 1004  >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 1000000 1116  >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 1200000 1228  >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 1400000 1308  >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo 1700000 1484  >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_voltages
    echo "done."
    exit 0;
    ;;

  *)
      echo "Usage: $0 {stop|start|restart|reload|force-reload}" >&2
      exit 1
    ;;
esac

--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Temperature problem with my T41p

Macskasi Csaba
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:25:45 +0100, Damien Challet  
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is the script I run in /etc/init.d. Note that your minimum voltages  
> might
> be higher (or smaller) than mine. centrino-voltages.diff patch, with  
> vanilla
> kernel 2.6.14.2, Banias 1.7GHz.
Thanks, this patch works fine. If someone is curious, I have some values  
for the Pentium 745 (1800mhz):

freq minimum voltage voltage before
1800mhz 956mV 1350mV
1600mhz 892mV 1292mV
 ...
600mhz 700mV 9xxmV

I did not try to undervolt at other frequencies because I do not use them.

Regards,
Csaba


--
Macskasi Csaba
[hidden email]
http://tuxworld.homelinux.org:81/
--
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
Loading...