The last Thinkpad to have

Martin N-2
Hello,

Since we are bemoaning the passing of mouse buttons on thinkpads and
the suggestion to stockpile old thinkpads
I think it would be a good idea to compile in this thread to state
what the last Thinkpad to have a certain feature.

Q 4 by3 screen ie not short screen?
A T61

Q mouse buttons?

Q old style keyboard
ie not the scrabble title style?

Q The current Thinkpad range still has a trackpoint model doesn't it?

Q Is there a matte screen (rather than glossy) in the current range?

Q The last model to have ac trackpoint only and no track pad option included?
A x61?

thanks for your time

Martin N

Desktop:Windows XP Pro 32bit- v8.0 Outpost Pro lifetime license, MBaE ,
HitmanPro scheduled daily scan, HitmanPro.alert AppGuard v4 (as of April 2014)

Re: The last Thinkpad to have

D. Hugh Redelmeier
| From: Martin N <[hidden email]>

| I think it would be a good idea to compile in this thread to state what the
| last Thinkpad to have a certain feature.

At IETF last month, Linus Nordberg (of TOR) was using an x60 with coreboot
firmware replacement to decrease the chance that his system has been
compromised (by firmware or motherboard producer).
        <http://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x60/Installation>
(He also makes hardware mods, like removing the radios and some
ports.)

At first he thought that he could do the same thing with my x61t but
then he decided it was more hairy.

My x61t has vPRO, whatever that actually means.

So: maybe the x60 generation is the last safe-ish one.

Re: The last Thinkpad to have

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
On sam., 2014-08-09 at 20:45 +0100, Martin N wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since we are bemoaning the passing of mouse buttons on thinkpads and
> the suggestion to stockpile old thinkpads
> I think it would be a good idea to compile in this thread to state
> what the last Thinkpad to have a certain feature.
>
> Q 4 by3 screen ie not short screen?
> A T61

*61 series yes (x61 had it too), but not every model

> Q mouse buttons?
Mouse?

> Q old style keyboard
> ie not the scrabble title style?
*20 series (x220 for example)

> Q The current Thinkpad range still has a trackpoint model doesn't it?
Yes

> Q Is there a matte screen (rather than glossy) in the current range?
Yes

> Q The last model to have ac trackpoint only and no track pad option included?
> A x61?
x200

--
Yves-Alexis

Re: The last Thinkpad to have

Cynthia
On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 20:45:43 +0100
Martin N <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Q The last model to have ac trackpoint only and no track pad option
> included? A x61?

  I have an X200 with trackpoint and no track pad.

Cindy Eliason

Re: The last Thinkpad to have

Evgeni Golov-3
On 08/09/2014 10:29 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>> > Q The last model to have ac trackpoint only and no track pad option included?
>> > A x61?
> x200
X201(s) with an X200(s) palmrest.

Regards
Evgeni

Re: The last Thinkpad to have

Martin N-2
hello,

At 11:43 10/08/2014, you wrote:
> option included?
> > x200
>X201(s) with an X200(s) palmrest.

Thanks group, a set of emails to save for future reference.

Martin N

New NSA Slogan:
"We work to ensure your safety.
Don't Worry We Have Your Back[door] "

Re: The last Thinkpad to have

Stefan Monnier
>   I have an X200 with trackpoint and no track pad.

My X201s has a track pad, but it was an option I selected on purpose
(call me masochist).

        Stefan

Re: The last Thinkpad to have

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger-2
Am 09.08.2014 22:13 schrieb D. Hugh Redelmeier:

> | From: Martin N <[hidden email]>
>
> | I think it would be a good idea to compile in this thread to state what the
> | last Thinkpad to have a certain feature.
>
> At IETF last month, Linus Nordberg (of TOR) was using an x60 with coreboot
> firmware replacement to decrease the chance that his system has been
> compromised (by firmware or motherboard producer).
> <http://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x60/Installation>
> (He also makes hardware mods, like removing the radios and some
> ports.)

The T60 and T60p are supported by coreboot as well.

Some of the later Intel-based Thinkpad models (x200,x201,x230) have
coreboot support, but they have an auxiliary processor (called
Management Engine, ME) with remote management capability which can't be
disabled and that ME runs unknown closed-source code even if coreboot is
installed.

So if you're paranoid, the only Intel-based Thinkpad you can trust is a
T60/T60p/x60. AMD does not have a ME, but AFAIK no coreboot support for
an AMD-based Thinkpad exists.

> At first he thought that he could do the same thing with my x61t but
> then he decided it was more hairy.
>
> My x61t has vPRO, whatever that actually means.

The *61 series has a chipset not supported by coreboot, so although you
might be able to mod the hardware against some attacks, the firmware is
not trustable.

> So: maybe the x60 generation is the last safe-ish one.

Yes. For now, at least.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

Clickpad settings (eg X1 carbon): tap not click for middle/right-button?

Richard Neill-4
Dear All,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a new 2ndGen X1 Thinkpad
Carbon.
Once it's done, I'll send a detailed writeup(*) to this list and the
web.

In the meantime, I wonder whether anyone can advise me on how to set up
the synaptics touchpad/clickpad
such that a light tap on the virtual button zones will work, rather than
need than needing to fully depress the clickpad?

[Actually depressing the clickpad requires too much force, especially
when applied to the stiff top-right corner with one's right thumb
tucked under the hand, while RH index finger remains on the trackpoint.]

Ideally:

1. The top 20% of the pad (where there are the painted lines) should
have 3 regions for buttons. A light tap on them
(which does not depress the click pad) should register as
left/middle/right mouse button. Middle mouse button would then give
emulated wheel, as usual.

2. Pressing the entire clickpad down should do nothing. (A future
hardware hack may be to jam it into position, because it's awkward that
it moves
when the palm rests on it).

3. The majority of the surface area of the pad should do nothing.

This is pretty helpful, but doesn't show what I want to do for #1.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics#Buttonless_touchpads_.28aka_ClickPads.29

(*) short summary:
- reasonable build quality (a premium-priced, mid-range product).
- everything I tried works out of the box (Ubuntu Utopic).
- the trackpoint, the defining feature of Thinkpads, is ruined.
- it is really nice and quiet (and the fan is off when the CPU is
lightly loaded!)
- the touchscreen is too reflective: the reflection is sharp, rather
than diffused like with a regular matte screen
- most of the other "innovations" are actually regressions, but not bad
enough to prevent buying it.
- the camera is pretty awful - but understandably, given the constraints
on size.
- nice lightweight power supply, but still has too short a low-voltage
cable, and too long a mains cable - needlessly
   heavy and bulky.

Thanks very much for your help,

Richard