Thinkpad T440s M2 SSD question

Carles Pina i Estany-2

Hi,

My Lenovo T440s currently has one 500 GB SSD and I'm thinking of
replacing this one with a 1 TB SSD. I'm thinking of going for a Samsung
which is what I've had for a few years without any problem... links or
suggestions for models are welcomed.

But I've seen that I might be able to add a M2 SSD (if the form is 2240)
of maybe 500 GB (or 250 GB) and then one hard disk of 2 TB which would
be handy for me. Has anyone here done the following: install an M2 SSD
in a T440s of 256 GB or 512 GB and a hard disk? Which model? Anything
else that I should know? All good on Linux?

Thank you very much!

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat

Re: Thinkpad T440s M2 SSD question

edouard debry

Hi,

I did that on my T440s. I remember having searched on internet
with
keywords like t440s + m2 ssd, for there was a tutorial on how to
do it.

As far as I remember it is not complicated, first check that your
laptop
has indeed a free m2 ssd slot, one should be occupied with the
wifi
card, as for the other it depends on which options you chose when
buying.

The only tricky part is do not forget, do not forget, to disable
the
internal battery (the one you cannot remove) before opening the
hood.
You can do that in the bios, then shutdown your laptop and your
internal
battery is disabled, it will be automatically enabled on next
reboot.

Edouard

On May/28/2018, Édouard Debry wrote:

> I did that on my T440s. I remember having searched on internet with
> keywords like t440s + m2 ssd, for there was a tutorial on how to do it.

Yes, I've seen a few tutorials and seems easy.

> As far as I remember it is not complicated, first check that your
> laptop has indeed a free m2 ssd slot, one should be occupied with the
> wifi card, as for the other it depends on which options you chose when
> buying.

Migh I ask, which model did you buy? Probably you can see it with "lshw"
as root... (to check physical size, etc.).

I've read about "single sided M2" and "double sided M2", do you know if
the "double sided" fit there, or single sided?

> The only tricky part is do not forget, do not forget, to disable the
> internal battery (the one you cannot remove) before opening the hood.
> You can do that in the bios, then shutdown your laptop and your internal
> battery is disabled, it will be automatically enabled on next reboot.

thanks for all the information! (yes, one of the guides mentioned that
but actually I bought it without the internal battery!)

> Edouard
>

> On dim., mai 27 2018, Carles Pina i. Estany wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My Lenovo T440s currently has one 500 GB SSD and I'm thinking of
> > replacing this one with a 1 TB SSD. I'm thinking of going for a Samsung
> > which is what I've had for a few years without any problem... links or
> > suggestions for models are welcomed.
> >
> > But I've seen that I might be able to add a M2 SSD (if the form is 2240)
> > of maybe 500 GB (or 250 GB) and then one hard disk of 2 TB which would
> > be handy for me. Has anyone here done the following: install an M2 SSD
> > in a T440s of 256 GB or 512 GB and a hard disk? Which model? Anything
> > else that I should know? All good on Linux?
> >
> > Thank you very much!
> >
> > --
> > Carles Pina i Estany
> > Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat
> > GPG Key 0x8CD5C157

Re: Thinkpad T440s M2 SSD question

Carles Pina i Estany-2

Hi Édouard, everybody,

On May/28/2018, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> > As far as I remember it is not complicated, first check that your
> > laptop has indeed a free m2 ssd slot, one should be occupied with the
> > wifi card, as for the other it depends on which options you chose when
> > buying.
>
> Migh I ask, which model did you buy? Probably you can see it with "lshw"
> as root... (to check physical size, etc.).

I've checked inside and if you have a moment to confirm the physical
size of your M2 storage would be good - some places it says 40 mm and
some other places 42 mm. I need to check the Lenovo specs but I've seen
two things there as well :-)

Thanks and sorry for so many questions!

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat
        GPG Key 0x8CD5C157

Re: Thinkpad T440s M2 SSD question

edouard debry

Hello,

Just a late answeer about the SSD M2 in my T440s :

This is this one :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00NY4VIPA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which is not sold anymore, but I could find this very close one :
https://www.amazon.fr/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B01MXMQQ7Z/ref=lp_3432313031_1_5?srs=3432313031&ie=UTF8&qid=1527846408&sr=8-5

Regards

On mar., mai 29 2018, Carles Pina i. Estany wrote:

> Hi Édouard, everybody,
>
> On May/28/2018, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
>
>> > As far as I remember it is not complicated, first check that
>> > your
>> > laptop has indeed a free m2 ssd slot, one should be occupied
>> > with the
>> > wifi card, as for the other it depends on which options you
>> > chose when
>> > buying.
>>
>> Migh I ask, which model did you buy? Probably you can see it
>> with "lshw"
>> as root... (to check physical size, etc.).
>
> I've checked inside and if you have a moment to confirm the
> physical
> size of your M2 storage would be good - some places it says 40
> mm and
> some other places 42 mm. I need to check the Lenovo specs but
> I've seen
> two things there as well :-)
>
> Thanks and sorry for so many questions!
>
> --
> Carles Pina i Estany
> Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat
> GPG Key 0x8CD5C157

Re: Thinkpad T440s M2 SSD question

Hendrik-Jan Heins-2
Hi Carles,

I think the T440 uses the same size for the M2 card as the X240 which I have).
One of the first things I did when I bought it was adding a M2 card.
M2 is way faster than SATA, so if you have the choice: add an M2 card,

The one I bought was this one; https://www.amazon.de/dp/B075P1JSGL/ref=psdc_430168031_t1_B00KLTPUG4?th=1
in 2242 size.

cheers,

Hendrik-Jan