Thinkpad T450s...

Zed-6
I have one of these excellent laptops but found shortly after I purchased
it (as a used item) that it does not have a wireless card.

At present I am using a USB wireless adapter, which works very well,
although it is rather a pain to have to insert it for internet access.

So, now to my questions. (a)  Is it possible to fit a wireless card to the
T450s? (b) If so, is it an easy task to do so? (b) Have members any
recommendations.as to the best card to buy, please?

Regards from New Zealand on a very cool Wednesday evening.

Zed
--
zed
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.Abraham Lincoln

Re: Thinkpad T450s...

Frank Gevaerts
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 05:04:47PM +1200, zed wrote:
> So, now to my questions. (a)  Is it possible to fit a wireless card to the
> T450s? (b) If so, is it an easy task to do so? (b) Have members any
> recommendations.as to the best card to buy, please?

(a) Should be.
(b) Define "easy". I'd say it is. According to the hardware maintenance
manual (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t450s_hmm_en_sp40g54937_01.pdf)
it's under the base cover (see page 67), which I'd say you need to learn
to open anyway, as there's also the hard drive and RAM there :) Now if
for some reason the antenna cables aren't there, things will get a lot
trickier.

As far as I understand you can't just insert any wireless card in
thinkpads, the BIOS checks if it's an "authorized" one. You can find the
supported ones in
https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/t450s_frubom_20160115.pdf
(right at the end). Assuming you want an 802.11ac card (why go for an
older one?) it seems you want 00JT464 or 00JT467 (not sure what the
difference is)

Have fun!

Frank

Frank Gevaerts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 05:04:47PM +1200, zed wrote:
> > So, now to my questions. (a)  Is it possible to fit a wireless card to
> > the T450s? (b) If so, is it an easy task to do so? (b) Have members
> > any recommendations.as to the best card to buy, please?
>
> (a) Should be. (b) Define "easy". I'd say it is. According to the
> hardware maintenance manual

(https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t450s_hmm_en_sp40g54937_01.pdf)
> it's under the base cover (see page 67), which I'd say you need to learn
> to open anyway, as there's also the hard drive and RAM there :) Now if
> for some reason the antenna cables aren't there, things will get a lot
> trickier.

Thanks for the link.  Have now downloaded the file and wil have a look to
see what is involved.

> As far as I understand you can't just insert any wireless card in
> thinkpads, the BIOS checks if it's an "authorized" one. You can find the
> supported ones in
> https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/t450s_frubom_20160115.pdf
> (right at the end). Assuming you want an 802.11ac card (why go for an
> older one?) it seems you want 00JT464 or 00JT467 (not sure what the
> difference is)

Will have a look for at those suggested and report back later.

> Have fun!

I will :-)

Zed
--
zed
Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain.