Thinkpad T520 SSD place question

Иван Ниагара
Hello,

My T520 Lenovo Thinkpad notebook has one HDD drive in hard disk drive slot.
I have a new SSD and a HDD caddy which I received from Aliexpress.

I planning install SSD and use both drive - SSD for system, HDD for media data.

My operating system is Linux Mint 18.3.

And now I have a question - what is the best place for SSD and for HDD?
On the one hand it's better install SSD to hard disk drive slot, and HDD to ultrabay.
On the other hand - I remember two things:
  • Thinkpad models have "Spill resistant keyboard", and I suppose they have special route for liquid outside hard disk drive place. I don't know anything about spill protection ultrabay area.
  • Thinkpad notebooks have an "Acive Protection System" (airbag) also. Is this technology will work for HDD in ultrabay slot? Is this technology support only windows operation system?
Are there someone who have an experience for install on thinkpad two kind of dive?
What is the better way?

-----
С уважением,
Иван Владимирович Ниагара
Mail: [hidden email]
Phone: +79232350060
Skype: ivan.niagara
Best regard,
Ivan Niagara

Re: Thinkpad T520 SSD place question

Mark Dymek

What kind of ssd is it? Is it a m.2 drive or a sata? I’m assuming as I don’t know about that peticular model it has a hdr slot and a m.2 slot or pci e for the ssd. If it’s an ssd with m.2 connector you have no choice it has to go in the m.2 slot as that’s the only place it will fit.

If it’s a sata drive the only place it can go is in a sata connection.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018, at 10:58 PM, Иван Ниагара wrote:
[...]

I have this one: Kingston 120Gb A400, 2.5", SATA3 (SA400S37/120G).

-----
С уважением,
Иван Владимирович Ниагара
Mail: [hidden email]
Phone: +79232350060
Skype: ivan.niagara
Best regard,
Ivan Niagara

пн, 18 июн. 2018 г. в 19:40, Mark Dymek <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Martin Steigerwald
Hi.

Иван Ниагара - 18.06.18, 07:58:

> My T520 Lenovo Thinkpad notebook has one HDD drive in hard disk drive
> slot. I have a new SSD and a HDD caddy which I received from
> Aliexpress.
>
> I planning install SSD and use both drive - SSD for system, HDD for
> media data.
>
> My operating system is Linux Mint 18.3.
>
> And now I have a question - what is the best place for SSD and for
> HDD? On the one hand it's better install SSD to hard disk drive slot,
> and HDD to ultrabay.

I have two SSDs in a ThinkPad T520. One 300GB Intel SSD 320 in the
harddrive slot and one 480 GB Crucial m500 SSD in the mSATA slot.

The harddisk slot in the Thinkpad T520 does SATA-600. The mSATA slot
only does SATA-300. Also… you have two MiniPCI slots one mSATA capable.
So if you have a wireless card in one and a WWAN card in the other one,
there is no slot free for an mSATA SSD.

I do not know whether the ultrabay slot can do SATA-600. For a CD/DVD
burner it would not be required.

> On the other hand - I remember two things:
>
>    - Thinkpad models have "Spill resistant keyboard", and I suppose
> they have special route for liquid outside hard disk drive place. I
> don't know anything about spill protection ultrabay area.

I have no idea about this.

>    - Thinkpad notebooks have an "Acive Protection System" (airbag)
> also. Is this technology will work for HDD in ultrabay slot? Is this
> technology support only windows operation system?

As its usually a software component reading out the sensors for this
(hdapsd with tp-smapi kernel module), I think this will work in case you
can configure which drive it will park. I would be surprised if it could
not.

> Are there someone who have an experience for install on thinkpad two
> kind of dive?
> What is the better way?

As I wanted to keep the CD/DVD burner, I chose the mSATA slot.

Maybe you can finde about the exact specs of the slots in some technical
specification PDF for the ThinkPad T520.

ThinkWiki often was a good starting point, but at least

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T520

lacks the necessary detail.

Martin

Re: Thinkpad T520 SSD place question

bhaskins

I have a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD in both my T510 and my T520 TPs.
On occasion I add a 500GB in the Ultrabay.
These are all standard sata drives.

I think that the bios limits the transfer speed so it won't matter how you arrange the drives.
How could you even  use a M3 drive in these models?

-- Bert

On 6/19/2018 2:23 PM, Mark Dymek wrote:

[...]

Stefan Monnier
> And now I have a question - what is the best place for SSD and for HDD?

AFAIK it's trivial to change the drive in the caddy and it's slightly
less trivial, but still very easy to change the drive in the internal
drive slot.

So you can try one option and later swap the drives to compare.
It should be very painless to do (at most you'll need to enter the BIOS
settings to adjust the boot order), so there's no need to spend much
time planning ahead trying to guess what will work better.

        Stefan