Thinkpad charger plug

Timothy Murphy-4

I've 2 Thinkpad T-series chargers with frayed charger wires -
they both work some of the time but often fail.
I have other chargers which work fine
so the fault seems to lie in the connection to the plug
that goes into the back of the computer.

Is it possible to remove this plug and re-solder the wire to it?
I tried this but it seemed to be very difficult
to take off the plastic surround to the plug.
Or is it possible to buy a new plug and replace the present one?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Re: Thinkpad charger plug

Wookey
+++ Timothy Murphy [2015-03-30 13:42 +0100]:

> I've 2 Thinkpad T-series chargers with frayed charger wires -
> they both work some of the time but often fail.
> I have other chargers which work fine
> so the fault seems to lie in the connection to the plug
> that goes into the back of the computer.
>
> Is it possible to remove this plug and re-solder the wire to it?
> I tried this but it seemed to be very difficult
> to take off the plastic surround to the plug.
> Or is it possible to buy a new plug and replace the present one?

Yes you can solder a new plug on. You have to chop the old one
off because it's moulded on.
There are three types of connector that have been used on T-series:
two sizes of DC-barrel old 19V (common size) and new 20V
(much harder to find, massive barrel), and the square connector for
the T440
Full info at: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Power_Connector

Alternatively you can buy a new cable to go into the PSU, or a whole
new PSU which can be only about a tenner on ebay.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Linaro, Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/