Transition sticky notes Win 10-Mint

Stuart Friedman-2
Looking to transition my wife to Mint 18, have everything set to go but she is a big user of StickyNotes and not sure how to transfer them.and read the .snt file format. Perhaps I need to install a Linux/Win 10 compatible program, import into it while in Windows and then move it??​

Stuart Friedman

Re: Transition sticky notes Win 10-Mint

James Lacey
How many sticky notes does your wife have? While I am unable to find any program that is capable of opening SNT files and automatically converting them to a format such as .txt, would it be time-effective to simply copy and paste the text in the sticky notes to a text file? This may be the only way to do it without reverse engineering the SNT file.

Good luck
- James Lacey (jamesl.tk)

On 11 October 2016 at 12:26, Stuart Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking to transition my wife to Mint 18, have everything set to go but she is a big user of StickyNotes and not sure how to transfer them.and read the .snt file format. Perhaps I need to install a Linux/Win 10 compatible program, import into it while in Windows and then move it??​

--
Stuart Friedman

Re: Transition sticky notes Win 10-Mint

Tom Roche

[endnotes follow .sig]

Stuart Friedman[1]
>> not sure how to transfer [Windows StickyNotes] and read the .snt file format

James Lacey[2]
> would it be time-effective to simply copy and paste [their text?]
> This may be the only way to do it without reverse engineering the SNT file.

 ... but reverse engineering StickyNotes (SN) file format doesn't seem too difficult, and seems to give insights toward copy/paste, at least if these SE answers ([3] and [4]) are correct. I don't have any window$ locally to verify the following claims, but it appears that

1. every SN user has a single file at a path like '\path\to\home\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes\StickyNotes.snt'

2. that StickyNotes.snt is a compressed file containing a list of dirs/folders, each of which represents each individual note

3. each note folder has a file name='0' containing note content as RTF[5]

So try extracting the RTF (e.g., renaming each file name='0' to 'useful_description_of_its_content.rtf') and then reading the collection into a Mint-compatible app with similar function, like Tomboy[6].

HTH, Tom Roche <[hidden email]>

[1]: http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2016-October/052798.html
[2]: http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2016-October/052799.html
[3]: https://superuser.com/a/505535/98270
[4]: https://superuser.com/a/895240/98270
[5]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format
[6]: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Tomboy . Note that I'm not recommending it--I use POTL[7] for notetaking--but I've been a Mint (now LMDE) user for awhile and Tomboy has always been included.
[7]: 'Plain Old Text Logfile', suitable for `grep`ing

Question about Cheese webcam software

James McCoy

Hello all! Question about the software "Cheese". I install it without problem but when I try to run the application - it says "missing GStreamer - camerabin"!! Anyone has ideas on how to fix... or if not possible - how to add extra video filters (extra optional video effects) to Guvcview??

Edmund Burke

James

Re: Question about Cheese webcam software

Connor Behan
On 25/10/16 06:01 AM, James McCoy wrote:

> Hello all! Question about the software "Cheese". I install it without probl=
> em but when I try to run the application - it says "missing GStreamer - cam=
> erabin"!! Anyone has ideas on how to fix... or if not possible - how to add=
>  extra video filters (extra optional video effects) to Guvcview??
>

> "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.=
> "
>
> Edmund Burke
>
> James
Camerabin is one of Gstreamer's "bad plugins"...
/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstcamerabin.so. Fixing this sounds
self-explanatory unless you already have the plugin and Cheese's code
for detecting it is just broken.