Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31 (John Magolske)

Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31 (John Magolske)

Dan Saint-Andre-2
The last time I fought this issue, I learned that suspend-to-RAM [aka, sleep] required a suitable swap space.  With 16GB of ram, I never used any swap space and thus did not configure a swap file system.  Once I added swap partition, I got sleep to work.

There are still some wrinkles with sleep operation.  These wrinkles are worse during suspend-to-disk [aka, hibernate].  Your video hardware might not wake up correctly. This depends a lot on what was going on, on screen, at the time you went to sleep. This usually involved low-battery event causing a sleep/hibernate event while the video was working at something like playing a video or similar.  For me, CTRL-ALT-BKSP (restart Xorg) usually fixed things.

Some network hardware suffers from similar troubles when it wakes up.  It was rare that I could repair this with any sort of warm-restart of connections, drivers, or similar. I usually had to reboot.

Both of the above were very hardware specific.

Regards,
~~~ 0;-Dan

Re: Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31 (John Magolske)

Stefan Monnier
> The last time I fought this issue, I learned that suspend-to-RAM [aka,
> sleep] required a suitable swap space.  With 16GB of ram, I never used any

16G of RAM sounds pretty far from an X31.
So I guess my experience with the X30 might be just as relevant.
FWIW, I've had fairly good success with s2ram on my thinkpad X30.
Usually without any tweaking at all (i.e. running Debian testing and
running just pm-suspend or whatever was the command-of-the-time since it
looks like they never could decide what should be the standard command
for that).

Which X11 driver are you using?  If you use the Free Software one, then
I can't help, but if you're using the proprietary driver, then I'd
suggest you try the Free Software driver instead.

You might also like to try `s2ram' instead of `pm-suspend' (using
pm-suspend runs s2ram, but by removing the extra stuff that pm-suspend
does might help track down the origin of the problem).

        Stefan

Re: Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31 (John Magolske)

Alexandre Kalmeijer
Google for TLP and configure it to your needs.
RESTORE_DEVICE_STATE_ON_STARTUP= should solve your problems with hibernation/sleep.
Hard disk spin down times are also included.
Good luck