Ubuntu on T520

Jeffrey Taylor-3
I have a Lenovo T520 I'd like to install a recent Ubuntu release on.
I tried 17.04 but suspend/resume rarely works properly, unplugging the
powerbrick freezes the system, and it's subject to infrequent freezes
for no apparent reason.  I tried booting a 16.04.2 live USB and
suspending.  It logged me out and froze.

Is anyone running Ubuntu on a T520 successfully?

TIA,
  Jeffrey

Re: Ubuntu on T520

bhaskins

On 6/7/2017 11:18 PM, Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
The latest release is 3 years old.  Are they doing updates?

On Jun 7, 2017 8:53 PM, "Roger Koehler" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Trisquel. It uses Ubuntu, but actually works.

On Jun 7, 2017 7:42 PM, "Jeffrey Taylor" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a Lenovo T520 I'd like to install a recent Ubuntu release on.
I tried 17.04 but suspend/resume rarely works properly, unplugging the
powerbrick freezes the system, and it's subject to infrequent freezes
for no apparent reason.  I tried booting a 16.04.2 live USB and
suspending.  It logged me out and froze.

Is anyone running Ubuntu on a T520 successfully?

TIA,
  Jeffrey

I've used ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, mint 16 thru 18 on two different T510s with very few problems.
The reinstalls have all been because of windows related problems, not linux.
Both are dual-boot systems.
I don't know if you can suspend/hibernate from a live USB or DVD, never tried as all of mine have been installed.

-Bert

Re: Ubuntu on T520

Joerg Bruehe-2
Hi Jeffrey, all!

On 08.06.2017 03:27, Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
> I have a Lenovo T520 I'd like to install a recent Ubuntu release on.
> I tried 17.04 but suspend/resume rarely works properly, unplugging the
> powerbrick freezes the system, and it's subject to infrequent freezes
> for no apparent reason.  I tried booting a 16.04.2 live USB and
> suspending.  It logged me out and froze.
>
> Is anyone running Ubuntu on a T520 successfully?

I can only report on a T530:
I'm running Kubuntu 14.04 on it, and I'm not aware of any
software-related issues.
Admitted, I have moments when the screen goes black, but the system
continues running, so I suspect a hardware issue (loose contact, ...).

I don't use suspend/resume, so I can't report on that.

The wallplug I use is switched, I use that to control the charging
process: switching it on or off while the system is running only has the
obvious effects of making the plug icon in the KDE task bar appear/
disappear and the screen go bright/dim, definitely no freeze.

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Ubuntu on T520

Roger Koehler
On Jun 7, 2017 9:18 PM, "Jeffrey Taylor" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The latest release is 3 years old.  Are they doing updates?

Newer doesn't always mean better, and lately I've been finding quite the opposite to be true. I do security updates mainly, and to satisfy dependencies for newer software (that works).

On Jun 8, 2017 6:45 AM, "Roger Koehler" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jun 7, 2017 9:18 PM, "Jeffrey Taylor" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The latest release is 3 years old.  Are they doing updates?

Newer doesn't always mean better, and lately I've been finding quite the opposite to be true. I do security updates mainly, and to satisfy dependencies for newer software (that works).

p.s. You can put whatever you want in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

On Jun 7, 2017 8:53 PM, "Roger Koehler" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Try Trisquel. It uses Ubuntu, but actually works.

On Jun 7, 2017 7:42 PM, "Jeffrey Taylor" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a Lenovo T520 I'd like to install a recent Ubuntu release on.
I tried 17.04 but suspend/resume rarely works properly, unplugging the
powerbrick freezes the system, and it's subject to infrequent freezes
for no apparent reason.  I tried booting a 16.04.2 live USB and
suspending.  It logged me out and froze.

Is anyone running Ubuntu on a T520 successfully?

TIA,
  Jeffrey

Re: Ubuntu on T520

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh-2
On Wed, 07 Jun 2017, Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
> I have a Lenovo T520 I'd like to install a recent Ubuntu release on.

First things first: ensure you are at the latest BIOS/UEFI...

--
  Henrique Holschuh

Re: Ubuntu on T520

Axel Braun
Am Donnerstag, 8. Juni 2017, 12:00:02 CEST schrieb linux-thinkpad-
[hidden email]:

> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 20:27:08 -0500
> From: Jeffrey Taylor <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [ltp] Ubuntu on T520
>
> I have a Lenovo T520 I'd like to install a recent Ubuntu release on.
> I tried 17.04 but suspend/resume rarely works properly, unplugging the
> powerbrick freezes the system, and it's subject to infrequent freezes
> for no apparent reason.  I tried booting a 16.04.2 live USB and
> suspending.  It logged me out and froze.

Can't comment on Ubuntu.
Switched to openSUSE Tumbelweed some 2 month ago, and very happy with it

HTH
Axel