Very slow starting X200 (pre-grub)

Paul van der Vlis
Hello all,

I did some experiments and now my Lenovo X200 laptop boots very slow.
I think it takes 20 minutes from pressing the power-button till I see
grub. What to do?

Background:
I would like to experiment with AMT and I thought: lets install the
latest bios firmware. I did install it, and I rebooted and everything
seems to be OK. AMT was enabled during the install.

Then I configered ME using F12 and rebooted. I did not see anything
after rebooting anymore. After some experiments I did leave the laptop
on, and later I saw it has booted and I could reset the the bios to
defaults and turn-off AMT.

After rebooting I had to wait long again, and I did press "Y" after the
question to remove AMT. But it did not help, it still takes very long to
start the laptop...

Maybe I need to install an older bios again?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/

Re: Very slow starting X200 (pre-grub)

Nikos Alexandris
On 26.11.2014 21:23, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I did some experiments and now my Lenovo X200 laptop boots very slow.
> I think it takes 20 minutes from pressing the power-button till I see
> grub. What to do?
>
> Background:
> I would like to experiment with AMT and I thought: lets install the
> latest bios firmware. I did install it, and I rebooted and everything
> seems to be OK. AMT was enabled during the install.
>
> Then I configered ME using F12 and rebooted. I did not see anything
> after rebooting anymore. After some experiments I did leave the
> laptop
> on, and later I saw it has booted and I could reset the the bios to
> defaults and turn-off AMT.
>
> After rebooting I had to wait long again, and I did press "Y" after
> the
> question to remove AMT. But it did not help, it still takes very long
> start the laptop...
>
> Maybe I need to install an older bios again?

Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)
step-by-step.

Nikos

Op 26-11-14 om 20:56 schreef Nikos Alexandris:

> On 26.11.2014 21:23, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I did some experiments and now my Lenovo X200 laptop boots very slow.
>> I think it takes 20 minutes from pressing the power-button till I see
>> grub. What to do?
>>
>> Background:
>> I would like to experiment with AMT and I thought: lets install the
>> latest bios firmware. I did install it, and I rebooted and everything
>> seems to be OK. AMT was enabled during the install.
>>
>> Then I configered ME using F12 and rebooted. I did not see anything
>> after rebooting anymore. After some experiments I did leave the laptop
>> on, and later I saw it has booted and I could reset the the bios to
>> defaults and turn-off AMT.
>>
>> After rebooting I had to wait long again, and I did press "Y" after the
>> question to remove AMT. But it did not help, it still takes very long to
>> start the laptop...
>>
>> Maybe I need to install an older bios again?
>
> Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)
> step-by-step.

Ah, I've a 4 GB module and a 1GB module.

I've flashed older firmware what works fine on other laptops (x200s,
this is a x200 without "s"), but I the same problem: very slow boot.
Not sure what was the firmware I used before on this machine...

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

Op 27-11-14 om 16:37 schreef Paul van der Vlis:

> Op 26-11-14 om 20:56 schreef Nikos Alexandris:
>> On 26.11.2014 21:23, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I did some experiments and now my Lenovo X200 laptop boots very slow.
>>> I think it takes 20 minutes from pressing the power-button till I see
>>> grub. What to do?
>>>
>>> Background:
>>> I would like to experiment with AMT and I thought: lets install the
>>> latest bios firmware. I did install it, and I rebooted and everything
>>> seems to be OK. AMT was enabled during the install.
>>>
>>> Then I configered ME using F12 and rebooted. I did not see anything
>>> after rebooting anymore. After some experiments I did leave the laptop
>>> on, and later I saw it has booted and I could reset the the bios to
>>> defaults and turn-off AMT.
>>>
>>> After rebooting I had to wait long again, and I did press "Y" after the
>>> question to remove AMT. But it did not help, it still takes very long to
>>> start the laptop...
>>>
>>> Maybe I need to install an older bios again?
>>
>> Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)
>> step-by-step.
>
> Ah, I've a 4 GB module and a 1GB module.
>
> I've flashed older firmware what works fine on other laptops (x200s,
> this is a x200 without "s"), but I the same problem: very slow boot.
> Not sure what was the firmware I used before on this machine...

I've removed the CMOS battery for half a minute, and the problem is
gone. And it works with the latest firmware.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

On 27.11.2014 17:37, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> Op 26-11-14 om 20:56 schreef Nikos Alexandris:
>> On 26.11.2014 21:23, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I did some experiments and now my Lenovo X200 laptop boots very
>>> slow.
>>> I think it takes 20 minutes from pressing the power-button till I
>>> see
>>> grub. What to do?
>>>
>>> Background:
>>> I would like to experiment with AMT and I thought: lets install the
>>> latest bios firmware. I did install it, and I rebooted and
>>> everything
>>> seems to be OK. AMT was enabled during the install.
>>>
>>> Then I configered ME using F12 and rebooted. I did not see anything
>>> after rebooting anymore. After some experiments I did leave the
>>> laptop
>>> on, and later I saw it has booted and I could reset the the bios to
>>> defaults and turn-off AMT.
>>>
>>> After rebooting I had to wait long again, and I did press "Y" after
>>> the
>>> question to remove AMT. But it did not help, it still takes very
>>> long to
>>> start the laptop...
>>>
>>> Maybe I need to install an older bios again?
>>
>> Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)
>> step-by-step.
>
> Ah, I've a 4 GB module and a 1GB module.
>
> I've flashed older firmware what works fine on other laptops (x200s,
> this is a x200 without "s"), but I the same problem: very slow boot.
> Not sure what was the firmware I used before on this machine...

I have seen such an effect in an older (now) laptop of mine, the
Samsung R20. Installing different RAM pieces, incompatible ones, I
guess, lead to an extremely slow memory reading and, at some point,
boot-up.

Nikos
--
Nikos

Re: Very slow starting X200 (pre-grub)

Maciej Musial
I'm not sure now how it looks in thinkpads bios but as I remember there was usually option like fast boot or similar and switching it on or off you could turn on or off different checks like mentioned before memory check. Try to check if there is something like that in your BIOS, eventually it could be called in different way like 'memory test'.

I remember on some older PC I've turned it on to test how is it working and behaviour was similar :)

Pozdrawiam,
Maciej MusiaƂ

Op 03-12-14 om 15:21 schreef Nikos Alexandris:

> On 27.11.2014 17:37, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

>>> Perhaps. Taking so long might be the bios reading the memory (RAM)
>>> step-by-step.
>>
>> Ah, I've a 4 GB module and a 1GB module.
>>
>> I've flashed older firmware what works fine on other laptops (x200s,
>> this is a x200 without "s"), but I the same problem: very slow boot.
>> Not sure what was the firmware I used before on this machine...
>
> I have seen such an effect in an older (now) laptop of mine, the Samsung
> R20. Installing different RAM pieces, incompatible ones, I guess, lead
> to an extremely slow memory reading and, at some point, boot-up.

No, this was not the problem. I've tested it with one original Lenovo
RAM module. This booted the same slow.
It has to do with the configuration of ME, a part of AMT.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.