W510: media tray opens randomly

Tom Roche

I have a ThinkPad W510 that is aging mostly gracefully, but with one major annoyance: about a month or 2 ago, its tray for optical discs (CD, DVD, "multi") started opening/ejecting randomly. It does not auto-open at all when the W510 is suspended or powered off, but will do it

* just about any time when the W510 is on.

* whether or not a disc is in the tray.

* even during disc play, though auto-eject seems less frequent while in use than auto-open while not in use. A typical scenario is: I put a disc in the tray, close it, and begin play (typically with VLC, though I'm guessing that does not matter). The tray will auto-eject a few times before "settling down" and allowing me to play the full disc.

Some additional details:

1. Nothing on Lenovo's page='Troubleshooting CD and DVD drive issues - ThinkPad'[1] matches this problem.

2. I suspect this is a hardware problem, but FWIW,

2.1. I'm running Debian 8 (via LMDE) up-to-date.

2.2. This behavior has persisted through at least one reboot.

3. Sometimes the tray will re-open as soon as I close it, sometimes it will stay closed for awhile before re-ejecting.

4. Disc play seems unaffected, except for the auto-eject. I.e., I have not noticed any other problems reading or writing discs except for the occasional apparently-DRM-related read failure.

How to fix or further debug?

Your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <[hidden email]>

[1]: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht080220

Re: W510: media tray opens randomly

Christoph Schmees
Hi Tom,

Am 26.04.2016 um 03:01 schrieb Tom Roche:

> I have a ThinkPad W510

very fine machine. :-)

> that is aging mostly gracefully, but with one major annoyance: about a month or 2 ago, its tray for optical discs (CD, DVD, "multi") started opening/ejecting randomly. It does not auto-open at all when the W510 is suspended or powered off, but will do it
>
> * just about any time when the W510 is on.
>
> * whether or not a disc is in the tray.
>
> * even during disc play, though auto-eject seems less frequent while in use than auto-open while not in use. A typical scenario is: I put a disc in the tray, close it, and begin play (typically with VLC, though I'm guessing that does not matter). The tray will auto-eject a few times before "settling down" and allowing me to play the full disc.
>
> Some additional details:
>
> 1. Nothing on Lenovo's page='Troubleshooting CD and DVD drive issues - ThinkPad'[1] matches this problem.
>
> 2. I suspect this is a hardware problem, but FWIW,
>
> 2.1. I'm running Debian 8 (via LMDE) up-to-date.
>
> 2.2. This behavior has persisted through at least one reboot.
>
> 3. Sometimes the tray will re-open as soon as I close it, sometimes it will stay closed for awhile before re-ejecting.
>
> 4. Disc play seems unaffected, except for the auto-eject. I.e., I have not noticed any other problems reading or writing discs except for the occasional apparently-DRM-related read failure.
>
> How to fix or further debug?

most probably an HW issue. I would replace the optical drive. If
poosible checkt first w/ a drive you may borrow from someone.

hth, Christoph

--
Bitte keine Mails von USA-Providern wie AOL, me.com (Apple),
gmail (Google), hotmail/outlook.com (Microsoft) oder yahoo.

Re: W510: media tray opens randomly

Ejnar Zacho Rath
I experienced a similar problem on a T61.  It was "solved" by replacing the tray.

Regards,
Ejnar

[...]

Kølstrup Bygade 48
Kølstrup
5300  Kerteminde

Re: W510: media tray opens randomly

Axel Braun
Tom Roche wrote:

> I have a ThinkPad W510 that is aging mostly gracefully, but with one major
> annoyance: about a month or 2 ago, its tray for optical discs (CD, DVD,
> "multi") started opening/ejecting randomly. It does not auto-open at all
> when the W510 is suspended or powered off, but will do it

Welcome to the club!
See the same with my T520.
But honestly do not care really...