X1 6th generation and X280 (is the X280 now a ultrabook)?

X1 6th generation and X280 (is the X280 now a ultrabook)?

Uwe Brauer-2

Hi

I have successfully installed and used linux for the X41/60s and 200s.
Since a couple of month I am using an X1 5th generation (it is a
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 14" Intel i5-6200U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, I
presume it is 5 generation) with Ubuntu 16.06 and like the features of
that ultrabook, nice screen, fast, light thin, long batteries life (I
however don't like the keyboard that much nor the fact that I can't
easily change batteries/hard disk/RAM).

It was my understanding that the X200 series had a smaller screen, were
bulkier, but batteries/hard-disk/RAM could be changed.

Now a friend of mine wants to buy an ultabook like X thinkpad.

To my surprise it seems that the new X280 is much more a ultra book than
the older ones. It is much thinner than previous models, however it
has the same weight as the X1, but a smaller screen so I presume it is
not as slime. Somebody has experience with that model?

What is about running Linux on either the X280 or the X1 6th
Generation?

Thinkwiki does not provide information on any of these models.

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: X1 6th generation and X280 (is the X280 now a ultrabook)?

Stefan Monnier
> that ultrabook, nice screen, fast, light thin, long batteries life (I
> however don't like the keyboard that much nor the fact that I can't
> easily change batteries/hard disk/RAM).

I changed the SSD in an 5th gen X1 without any trouble.

It's a bit less straightforward than with an X60, admittedly, but it's
quite tolerable.  The RAM OTOH is soldered on (which is why I bought
mine with the RAM maxed out, since in my experience the amount of RAM is
the limiting factor in the long run).

I think the battery can also be changed without too much trouble, tho it
does require opening the case (similar to changing the SSD).

        Stefan

>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <[hidden email]> writes:

   >> that ultrabook, nice screen, fast, light thin, long batteries life (I
   >> however don't like the keyboard that much nor the fact that I can't
   >> easily change batteries/hard disk/RAM).

   > I changed the SSD in an 5th gen X1 without any trouble.

   > It's a bit less straightforward than with an X60, admittedly, but it's
   > quite tolerable.

Good to know, thanks. I presume in youtube I can find videos describing
it.

   > The RAM OTOH is soldered on (which is why I bought mine with the
   > RAM maxed out, since in my experience the amount of RAM is the
   > limiting factor in the long run).

Ah if I had known this is in advance. How can one find out (without
opening and looking)?

   > I think the battery can also be changed without too much trouble, tho it
   > does require opening the case (similar to changing the SSD).

That's a bit of relive I must admit.

Thanks for the update

   >         Stefan

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: X1 6th generation and X280 (is the X280 now a ultrabook)?

Stefan Monnier
>    >> that ultrabook, nice screen, fast, light thin, long batteries life (I
>    >> however don't like the keyboard that much nor the fact that I can't
>    >> easily change batteries/hard disk/RAM).
>    > I changed the SSD in an 5th gen X1 without any trouble.
>    > It's a bit less straightforward than with an X60, admittedly, but it's
>    > quite tolerable.
> Good to know, thanks. I presume in youtube I can find videos describing
> it.

For Thinkpads, I recommend to use the hardware maintenance manual first.
After that comes ifixit.com.

>    > The RAM OTOH is soldered on (which is why I bought mine with the
>    > RAM maxed out, since in my experience the amount of RAM is the
>    > limiting factor in the long run).
> Ah if I had known this is in advance.  How can one find out (without
> opening and looking)?

IIRC I consulted the hardware maintenance manual.  I don't think it says
that explicitly, but it says it "by omission".

        Stefan