X1 carbon 2015 can't resume from suspend

X1 carbon 2015 can't resume from suspend

Philipp Hachtmann
Hi folks,

I really tried and searched before writing this. I have found many similar
topics but nothing lead me the right way.

I have a Thinkpad X1 carbon, brand new. I'm running the latest vanilla Kernel on
it. The notebook runs nicely, I have the GPS modem, wifi and everything working.
But when it comes to suspending the system, I have no luck.

Setting the system to suspend using "echo mem > /proc/power/state" seems to
suspend the system. At least it stops talking on the ethernet, switches off the
screen, and the power button light is doing a slow and soft blinking.
That's all. I am completely unable to get the computer awake again. Power
button, wild fn+something combinations, closing and opening the lid, connecting
and disconnecting power: Nothing helps. I have to turn off the computer by
holding the power button.

Downgrading to kernel 4.2.0 did not change anything BTW.

I completely threw out all graphics drivers from the kernel, system running in
text only mode.

I further got a BIOS update from Lenovo. The version is now 1.11

The computer's model name is 20BS.

It's really really annoying :-(

Does anyone has tips for me? Is my laptop broken? Did I forget something
fundamental?

Kind regards

Philipp

--

Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Philipp Hachtmann
Buchdruck, Bleisatz, Spezialitäten

Alemannstr. 21, D-30165 Hannover
Tel. 0511/3522222, Mobil 0171/2632239
Fax. 0511/3500439
[hidden email]
www.tiegeldruck.de

UStdID DE 202668329

Re: X1 carbon 2015 can't resume from suspend

Robert Tomsick
I don't know about hitting /proc/power/state directly, but I have Fedora
23 running on a new X1C3, and it suspends/resumes just fine.  (I've run
kernels in the 4.2x and 4.3.x family just fine.)

I'm not sure what to offer other than to say that it *should* "just
work"...

What happens if you suspend it via some other way?

-Rob

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015, at 12:39 PM, Philipp Hachtmann wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I really tried and searched before writing this. I have found many
> similar
> topics but nothing lead me the right way.
>
> I have a Thinkpad X1 carbon, brand new. I'm running the latest vanilla
> Kernel on
> it. The notebook runs nicely, I have the GPS modem, wifi and everything
> working.
> But when it comes to suspending the system, I have no luck.
>
> Setting the system to suspend using "echo mem > /proc/power/state" seems
> suspend the system. At least it stops talking on the ethernet, switches
> off the
> screen, and the power button light is doing a slow and soft blinking.
> That's all. I am completely unable to get the computer awake again. Power
> button, wild fn+something combinations, closing and opening the lid,
> connecting
> and disconnecting power: Nothing helps. I have to turn off the computer
> by
> holding the power button.
>
> Downgrading to kernel 4.2.0 did not change anything BTW.
>
> I completely threw out all graphics drivers from the kernel, system
> running in
> text only mode.
>
> I further got a BIOS update from Lenovo. The version is now 1.11
>
> The computer's model name is 20BS.
>
> It's really really annoying :-(
>
> Does anyone has tips for me? Is my laptop broken? Did I forget something
> fundamental?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Philipp
>

> --
>

> Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Philipp Hachtmann
> Buchdruck, Bleisatz, Spezialitäten
>
> Alemannstr. 21, D-30165 Hannover
> Tel. 0511/3522222, Mobil 0171/2632239
> Fax. 0511/3500439
> [hidden email]
> www.tiegeldruck.de
>
> UStdID DE 202668329

Re: X1 carbon 2015 can't resume from suspend

Philipp Hachtmann-2
Hi, thank you for the answer.

> I'm not sure what to offer other than to say that it *should* "just
> work"...

> What happens if you suspend it via some other way?
No difference.

I have found a very saddening way around the problem:
1. Installed stock Debian kernel, worked
2. Looked through the Debian patches if there's something obvious. No.
3. Took the Debian configuration, worked.
4. Changed the config "back" to what I like. Doing stepwise, it always
kept working
5. I now have a working kernel configuration.

I'm a bit frustrated because I did not 100% figure out what went wrong.
In the ACPI stuff I could see no difference between the working config
and my broken config. Perhaps something I don't know has side effects.

Kind regards

Philipp