X200/X201 or X200s/X201s

Uwe Brauer-2
Hi

I posses a X200s and could buy either a second hand X200s or a X201. I
am curious what are the difference between the version with «s» and
without «s», better batteries and slimmer?

I tend to opt for the X200s because of the «s» but the X201 has a bit
more modern hardware...

Regards

Uwe Brauer

Re: X200/X201 or X200s/X201s

Stefan Monnier
> I posses a X200s and could buy either a second hand X200s or a X201.
> I am curious what are the difference between the version with «s» and
> without «s», better batteries and slimmer?

AFAIK the "s" in "X<NN>s" means that the system uses some lower-power
components (mostly the CPU).  This means more autonomy, less heat, and
less noise on the positive side.  I don't think it makes the machines
slimmer nor lighter.  It does tend to imply a lower max-frequency, OTOH
(and IIRC also a slightly higher price).

        Stefan "who opted for an X201s to get more battery life"

Re: X200/X201 or X200s/X201s

Evgeni Golov-3
Hi Uwe,

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 09:09:16PM +0000, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I posses a X200s and could buy either a second hand X200s or a X201. I
> am curious what are the difference between the version with «s» and
> without «s», better batteries and slimmer?
>
> I tend to opt for the X200s because of the «s» but the X201 has a bit
> more modern hardware...

200 vs 201 is:
- no touchpad vs optional touchpad
- Core2Duo vs Core iX
- that's pretty much it - well,appart from the supporting chips etc

normal vs s is:
- s can't have a webcam
- s can (and usually does) have 1440x900 TN panel
- getting a X201s in decent condition used is almost impossible
- s has a ULV CPU, which should be cooler and use less power,
  but in reality it does not really matter

all of them get the same batteries, same keyboards etc, so that should not be a dealbreaker

my 0.02€
Evgeni, happy x201s owner

Re: X200/X201 or X200s/X201s

Uwe Brauer-2
>>> "Evgeni" == Evgeni Golov <[hidden email]> writes:

   > Hi Uwe,
   > On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 09:09:16PM +0000, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> I posses a X200s and could buy either a second hand X200s or a X201. I
   >> am curious what are the difference between the version with «s» and
   >> without «s», better batteries and slimmer?
   >>
   >> I tend to opt for the X200s because of the «s» but the X201 has a bit
   >> more modern hardware...

   > 200 vs 201 is:
   > - no touchpad vs optional touchpad
   > - Core2Duo vs Core iX
   > - that's pretty much it - well,appart from the supporting chips etc

Thanks
   > normal vs s is:
   > - s can't have a webcam

What I have a X200s with a webcam, but without a touchpad.

   > - s can (and usually does) have 1440x900 TN panel
   > - getting a X201s in decent condition used is almost impossible
   > - s has a ULV CPU, which should be cooler and use less power,
   >   but in reality it does not really matter

Interesting, amazon, has some offers either for

    -  X200s or

    -  X201 but *not*

    -  X201s

I don't need or miss a touchpad, so most likely I will go for a X200s.

Uwe

Re: X200/X201 or X200s/X201s

Evgeni Golov-3
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 03:20:12PM +0000, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>    > normal vs s is:
>    > - s can't have a webcam
>
> What I have a X200s with a webcam, but without a touchpad.

Interesting. Do you have a 1440 or a 1280 screen?
For the 1440 one in the X201s, Lenovo said it is too thick and webcam
would not fit anymore in the bezel.

>    > - s can (and usually does) have 1440x900 TN panel
>    > - getting a X201s in decent condition used is almost impossible
>    > - s has a ULV CPU, which should be cooler and use less power,
>    >   but in reality it does not really matter
>
> Interesting, amazon, has some offers either for
>
>     -  X200s or
>
>     -  X201 but *not*
>
>     -  X201s
>
> I don't need or miss a touchpad, so most likely I will go for a X200s.

Lenovo built the X201s only for a very limited time, as they had problems
sourcing the 1440 panel. So that's probably the reason.

Regards

Re: X200/X201 or X200s/X201s

Uwe Brauer-2

    > Hi,
    > On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 03:20:12PM +0000, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > Interesting. Do you have a 1440 or a 1280 screen?
    > For the 1440 one in the X201s, Lenovo said it is too thick and webcam
    > would not fit anymore in the bezel.

I presume a 1280, but how can I know for sure?

    > Lenovo built the X201s only for a very limited time, as they had
    > problems sourcing the 1440 panel. So that's probably the reason.

I see.

Re: X200/X201 or X200s/X201s

Ponomarenko Andrey

26.08.2016, 00:10, "Uwe Brauer" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> I posses a X200s and could buy either a second hand X200s or a X201. I
> am curious what are the difference between the version with «s» and
> without «s», better batteries and slimmer?
>
> I tend to opt for the X200s because of the «s» but the X201 has a bit
> more modern hardware...
>
> Regards
>
> Uwe Brauer

Hi,