X200: more than 8 Gigas RAM

Uwe Brauer-2
Hello

I have 8 G RAM installed in my X200, and was looking to enhance it.
However looking in Amazon I cannot find any piece which is larger than
4 G.

Any suggestions?

regards

Uwe Brauer

Re: X200: more than 8 Gigas RAM

rappard
On 8 October 2014 13:57, Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have 8 G RAM installed in my X200, and was looking to enhance it.
> However looking in Amazon I cannot find any piece which is larger than
> 4 G.
>
> Any suggestions?

eBay? Newegg?

Also, http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs
doesn't list a successful 16 GB RAM configuration for the X200(s). Of
course that doesn't imply that it can't be done....

--Martin

Re: X200: more than 8 Gigas RAM

Christoph Schmees
Am 08.10.2014 14:46, schrieb [hidden email]:

> On 8 October 2014 13:57, Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have 8 G RAM installed in my X200, and was looking to enhance it.
>> However looking in Amazon I cannot find any piece which is larger than
>> 4 G.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> eBay? Newegg?
>
> Also, http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs
> doesn't list a successful 16 GB RAM configuration for the X200(s). Of
> course that doesn't imply that it can't be done....

I bet this is a technical limit, be it in the DRAM technology
used (is it DDR2?), the chipset, the mainboard or the BIOS.

Christoph

Re: X200: more than 8 Gigas RAM

Bjørn Mork
[hidden email] writes:

> On 8 October 2014 13:57, Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have 8 G RAM installed in my X200, and was looking to enhance it.
>> However looking in Amazon I cannot find any piece which is larger than
>> 4 G.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> eBay? Newegg?
>
> Also, http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs
> doesn't list a successful 16 GB RAM configuration for the X200(s). Of
> course that doesn't imply that it can't be done....

No way.  AFAICT it has a GM45 chipset, just like the X301, and that just
does not support more than 8 GB.  Ref:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X200
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_mobile_chipsets

Note that the thinkwiki X301 page is wrong in this regard.  It claims
that 16 GB is possible on that machine.  It is not.

Bjørn

Re: X200: more than 8 Gigas RAM

Uwe Brauer-2
On 10/08/2014 09:02 PM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
[hidden email] writes:
> On 8 October 2014 13:57, Uwe Brauer [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I have 8 G RAM installed in my X200, and was looking to enhance it.

No way.  AFAICT it has a GM45 chipset, just like the X301, and that just
does not support more than 8 GB.  Ref:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X200
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_mobile_chipsets

Note that the thinkwiki X301 page is wrong in this regard.  It claims
that 16 GB is possible on that machine.  It is not.

Bjørn
I did not realize that I have 8 G of swap, but only 4 G of RAM so I could upgrade.
In
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs
it states that unofficially 8 G are supported.  Does this mean I have to unofficially upgrade
the BIOS?

thanks

Uwe Brauer
-- The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at: http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad

Re: X200: more than 8 Gigas RAM

Paul Bolle
On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 18:52 +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I did not realize that I have 8 G of swap, but only 4 G of RAM so I
> could upgrade.

That line is a bit hard to parse.

> In
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs
> it states that unofficially 8 G are supported.  Does this mean I have
> to unofficially upgrade the BIOS?

I'm not sure what "unofficially upgrade the BIOS" means.

Anyhow, I think using the unofficial maximum memory just means that
you're on your own. Ie, if your ThinkPad can't properly handle that
amount of memory that's your problem, not Lenovo's. So far, using the
maximum for a machine on that list - after double checking through some
Google searches - worked for me. On a couple of laptops, actually. I
hope it works for you too.

Paul Bolle