X200s X60, SSD Samsung 840, trim, kernel, Kubuntu 10.04

X200s X60, SSD Samsung 840, trim, kernel, Kubuntu 10.04

Uwe Brauer-2
Hi

I am currently using 2 Laptops a X200s and X61. The first has a SSD
Samsung 840 250 Giga the second the smaller 120 Giga. (Changing to a SSD
was the largest performance boost I have seen in the last years.) Both
laptops I use with Kubuntu 10.04, and the jfs file system.

However I had to compile 3.7 kernel in order to use TRIM for jfs, since
in earlier kernel versions this feature was not supported.

The SSD on the smaller machine failed with a serious error and is now
useless. I wounder if it has to do with the trim operation since I have
read stories about data loss with trim enabled, but then the SSD on the
other machine is fine.

So for the moment I switched back to the old hard disk and I am back
*from* the future, and that is why I will get a new SSD.

I presume I have to upgrade Kubuntu, so the question is: is 14.04 enough
or do I need a more modern kernel even. Is trim save? How often shall I
run it, on every boot, once a week?

Comments are very well come.

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

Re: X200s X60, SSD Samsung 840, trim, kernel, Kubuntu 10.04

Stefan Monnier
> I presume I have to upgrade Kubuntu, so the question is: is 14.04 enough
> or do I need a more modern kernel even. Is trim save? How often shall I
> run it, on every boot, once a week?

While using TRIM can make a difference.  IF your hard-disk is full
enough, TRIM won't help.  IOW the SSD has to have enough extra space of
its own in order to provide good performance when it's "full".

For this reason, I stopped worrying about TRIM (actually I stopped
worrying about it right around the time it started to be somewhat
usable without jumping through too many hoops).

IOW, I now use my SSDs without any special configuration and I haven't
noticed any performance issue (and I think we should *expect* the
performance to be good in such a situation).

        Stefan

PS: My SSDs include an old 120GB Samsung, a Samsung 840 of some sort,
and a 240GB Mushkin.

Re: X200s X60, SSD Samsung 840, trim, kernel, Kubuntu 10.04

Florian Reitmeir

if you mount the disk with discard support, and enable discard in lvm,
then you should have

never the need to trim the disk.

https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization#Mounting_SSD_filesystems

greetings