X270 and Huawei MU736 WWAN module

Alexander Karlstad
Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy one of the mentioned WWAN
modules and use in the X270? I have not been successful in finding
anyone else trying this combo, and am wondering if there might be any
hardware or BiOS restrictions as to what models to install.

--
Alexander Karlstad

Re: X270 and Huawei MU736 WWAN module

Bjørn Mork
Alexander Karlstad <[hidden email]> writes:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to buy one of the mentioned WWAN
> modules and use in the X270? I have not been successful in finding
> anyone else trying this combo, and am wondering if there might be any
> hardware or BiOS restrictions as to what models to install.

All Thinkpads have a short BIOS whitelist of accepted modems, listing
only the specific Lenovo options for that Thinkpad.

Why do you want to use a Huawei MU736?

Bjørn

On 11. sep. 2017 11:00, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> All Thinkpads have a short BIOS whitelist of accepted modems, listing
> only the specific Lenovo options for that Thinkpad.
>
> Why do you want to use a Huawei MU736?

Compatibility with Ubuntu, and also price. I have read that the Sierra
EM7455 module that is recommended for the X270 does not work with Ubuntu.

I only want WWAN as a backup and use it for simple stuff like ssh and
web browsing and don't really care if it is a 3G or 4G capable model.

--
Alexander Karlstad

Re: X270 and Huawei MU736 WWAN module

Bjørn Mork
Alexander Karlstad <[hidden email]> writes:

>  I have read that the Sierra
> EM7455 module that is recommended for the X270 does not work with
> Ubuntu.

Really? Then they should fix that.  It most certainly works with Linux,
so if it doesn't work in Ubuntu then that is because they have screwed
up something in the distro.

The EM7455 works flawlessly with Debian stretch, so it shouldn't be too
hard for Ubuntu to fix whatever issues they might have.

Bjørn

On 11. sep. 2017 12:08, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Really? Then they should fix that.  It most certainly works with Linux,
> so if it doesn't work in Ubuntu then that is because they have screwed
> up something in the distro.
>
> The EM7455 works flawlessly with Debian stretch, so it shouldn't be too
> hard for Ubuntu to fix whatever issues they might have.

I just noticed the warning at Ubuntu's certification page[1]. It might
be that it just doesn't work in 16.04 and older versions.

Anyway, it does not really answer my question regarding the MU736 and if
I _can_ buy and use that instead as I've seen very cheap used ones on eBay.

A new EM7455 will cost me at least 1500 NOK (about 200 USD), and I've
seen used MU736 modules for 2-300 NOK (25-40 USD).

[1]: https://certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/201701-25357/

--
Alexander Karlstad

Re: X270 and Huawei MU736 WWAN module

DI Florian Reitmeir
Am 11.09.2017 um 12:23 schrieb Alexander Karlstad:

> Anyway, it does not really answer my question regarding the MU736 and
> if I _can_ buy and use that instead as I've seen very cheap used ones
> on eBay.
it was already answered, no you can't.
you can maybe with bios patching, but on the old pci modules the pin
layout was not standard, so flight mode and some otherthings were not
working.

greetings

--
Dipl.-Inf. Florian Reitmeir | Pradlerstr 29a - Top 13 | 6020 Innsbruck
+43 670 6051903 | PGP E3F7 DDFB 7CEB 121B 156A D11F F22E DEC8 6317 5E70