X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

12

X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer-2
Hello

I bought my X60s with 500 MG of RAM, upgraded to 2.5, which was not
recognized till I installed a PAE enabled kernel for my 32 bit Kubuntu.

Now I upgraded again to 4 GB RAM, but even with PAE enabled only 3 are
recognized.

Would it help to upgrade to a 64 bit version of Ubuntu?

On my X200s the 4 GB RAM are recognized via PAE, so I presume the answer
would be no, but I don't really understand the differences between PAE
and 64 in all details.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

birger
32bit addressing can only see 4GB RAM.
Some 32bit intel processors have an extension called PAE that enables a
32bit processor to address far more memory. To use this you need a PAE
kernel. A PAE kernel will fail if you try to boot it on a non-PAE
processor.

In your place I would upgrade to 64bit linux. The linux kernel handles
memory more efficiently in the 64bit kernel if you have more than 1GB
RAM. You can still run 32bit versions of applications if you want to do
that.

Two of my children have X60s with 5GB RAM, SSD and 64-bit fedora. :-)

On Thu, 2014-11-13 at 09:41 +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Hello
>

> I bought my X60s with 500 MG of RAM, upgraded to 2.5, which was not
> recognized till I installed a PAE enabled kernel for my 32 bit Kubuntu.
>
> Now I upgraded again to 4 GB RAM, but even with PAE enabled only 3 are
> recognized.
>
> Would it help to upgrade to a 64 bit version of Ubuntu?
>
> On my X200s the 4 GB RAM are recognized via PAE, so I presume the answer
> would be no, but I don't really understand the differences between PAE
> and 64 in all details.
>
> Thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Paul Seelig-3
On 11/13/2014 09:41 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Now I upgraded again to 4 GB RAM, but even with PAE enabled only 3 are
> recognized.
>
> Would it help to upgrade to a 64 bit version of Ubuntu?

The X60s is a variant of the X60, which in turn is based on the same
chipset as the T60 Thinkpad generation. The chipset used in this
Thinkpad generation is only capable of addressing a maximum of 3GB RAM.

This is a hardware imposed limit which cannot be circumvented by any
means, e.g., installation of a 64bit OS. See the more up to date German
http://thinkwiki.de/X60 for further details.

While this is very unfortunate, for T60 machines it is possible to
replace the mainboard with a T61 variant, which easily supports up to
2x4=8GB RAM. http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs

These hybrid machines are commonly referred to as "Frankenpad", the
Frankenstein Thinkpad version combining advantages of distinct Thinkpad
generations. See http://thinkwiki.de/Frankenpad for further details.

My personal Frankenpad is internally a T61 with a T9300 Penryn CPU and
2x4=8GB RAM, but contained in a 15" T60 body featuring a BOE Hydis UXGA
(1200x1600) IPS display. The only thing left to do is to replace that
CCFL lit UXGA display by one featuring a LED backlight (the necessary
measures for this are already in progress).

BTW, it is a pity that the international English language thinkwiki
appears to lagging behind so much, while the German language variant is
kept more or less up to date. :(

Regards,
Paul

On 11/13/2014 01:53 PM, birger wrote:
> Two of my children have X60s with 5GB RAM, SSD and 64-bit fedora. :-)

As outlined in my former reply to Uwe, X60(s) are technically not
capable of taking advantage of more than 3GB RAM, regardless whether a
32bit or 64bit OS is used.

An amount of 5GB RAM would mean one 4GB module and one 1GB module in
either memory bank. It would surprise me if this would actually work in
any X60(s) variant.

Supposedly your children are in fact running X61(s) machines featuring
the Santa Rosa chipset and capable of actually addressing this amount,
or the complete amount of RAM is detected and seen, but not fully used.

To verify, maybe you could as one of your children to provide the output
of following commands:

# free

and

# dmidecode -t 6

and

# dmidecode -t 1

This lists the amount of actually used memory, and also provides details
about the equipment of the memory slots and the Thinkpad variant. Should
you reply, please make sure to exclude any serial number information of
the output of the latter command from being posted.

Regards,
Paul

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Max Sydorenko
Hi, Uwe.

Now I upgraded again to 4 GB RAM, but even with PAE enabled only 3 are
recognized.

Unfortunately the reason for this (3GB) limitation is hardware one. Memory controller in the Intel 945GM Northbridge is quite infamous for supporting only 4 GB of RAM max, of which usable is only 3. No matter what kernel do you use. As far as I know, this can not be overridden in any (esp software) way.

Would it help to upgrade to a 64 bit version of Ubuntu?

No. Thinkwiki thinks the same http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_945GM

Cheers,
Max

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer-2
>> "Paul" == Paul Seelig <[hidden email]> writes:

   > On 11/13/2014 09:41 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Now I upgraded again to 4 GB RAM, but even with PAE enabled only 3 are
   >> recognized.
   >>
   >> Would it help to upgrade to a 64 bit version of Ubuntu?
   >>
   > The X60s is a variant of the X60, which in turn is based on the same
   > chipset as the T60 Thinkpad generation. The chipset used in this
   > Thinkpad generation is only capable of addressing a maximum of 3GB RAM.

   > This is a hardware imposed limit which cannot be circumvented by any
   > means, e.g., installation of a 64bit OS. See the more up to date German
   > http://thinkwiki.de/X60 for further details.

Thanks for pointing this out. I must say the switch from 2.5 to 3 did
not cause any notable performance burst, however I replaced my HDD by  a
SSD and this was a big performance improvement. I will add the relevant
information in the thinkwiki you just mentioned.
   > While this is very unfortunate, for T60 machines it is possible to
   > replace the mainboard with a T61 variant, which easily supports up to
   > 2x4=8GB RAM. http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_maximum_memory_specs

But isn't it very expensive (and complicated) to replace a mainboard in
a thinkpad?.

regards

Uwe

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer-2
>> "Paul" == Paul Seelig <[hidden email]> writes:

   > On 11/13/2014 01:53 PM, birger wrote:
   >> Two of my children have X60s with 5GB RAM, SSD and 64-bit fedora. :-)
   >>
   > # free

   > and

   > # dmidecode -t 6

   > and

   > # dmidecode -t 1

These are commands I was looking for a long time! Thanks!

However it seems that my evil processor is not listed. For that I
presume I have to look into the BIOS myself.

Uwe

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Paul Seelig-3
Try "dmidecode -t 4" or simply "cat /proc/cpuinfo" to get the full CPU
details. Running plain dmidecode without any limiting arguments gives
you all information. Also, dmidecode has a man page.

Regards,
Paul

On 11/14/2014 09:12 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Thanks for pointing this out. I must say the switch from 2.5 to 3 did
> not cause any notable performance burst, however I replaced my HDD by  a
> SSD and this was a big performance improvement.

In most cases, adding a SSD is the best performance measure one can
apply to a given machine, as even the fastest HDD is usually still the
worst bottleneck. Once i tried my first SSD, i was completely hooked.
Now all my machines are using SSD's as their main drive, while the
former HDD's are used only for storage and backup purposes.

> But isn't it very expensive (and complicated) to replace a mainboard in
> a thinkpad?.

Well, it depends. For older and very common Thinkpads like, e.g., the
T60, mainboards can be had for very cheap (~ 20 EUR). Due to those T61
mainboards being more in demand, they can be had for around 60 EUR. But
usually it is much better to buy a broken T61 on eBay for parts which
only has a broken HDD or screen, but fully functional mainboard and CPU.

For X6*(s) the availability and parts compatibility might be another
issue, though. My experience is limited to the T6x models.

Once you get used to it, it becomes pretty easy to disassemble and
reassemble a Thinkpadin order to replace a mainboard. Thanks to the very
detailed hardware maintenance manuals (HMM) provided by Lenovo for their
Thinkpads, and also for specific user provided Frankenpad guides, it is
in fact just a matter of reading comprehension and just doing it.

There even has grown a small crafts industry of people creating such
Frankenpads from older Thinkpads, but with a much better feature set
than those originally sold by Lenovo. Some even do this for a living.

Been there, doing that. ;)

Regards,
Paul

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer-2
>> "Paul" == Paul Seelig <[hidden email]> writes:

   > Try "dmidecode -t 4"

I did that but did not find the output especially helpful:

Handle 0x0006, DMI type 4, 35 bytes
Processor Information
        Socket Designation: None
        Type: Central Processor
        Family: Other
        Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
        ID: EC 06 00 00 FF FB E9 BF
        Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU
        Voltage: 1.2 V
        External Clock: 167 MHz
        Max Speed: 1667 MHz
        Current Speed: 1667 MHz
        Upgrade: None
        L1 Cache Handle: 0x000A
        L2 Cache Handle: 0x000C
        L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
        Serial Number: Not Specified
        Asset Tag: Not Specified
        Part Number: Not Specified
I could not conclude that this was the evil processor you described

   > or simply "cat /proc/cpuinfo" to get the full CPU

Ok a bit better but still don't see the necessary information.

Thanks

Uwe

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer-2
>> "Paul" == Paul Seelig <[hidden email]> writes:

   > On 11/14/2014 09:12 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Thanks for pointing this out. I must say the switch from 2.5 to 3 did
   >> not cause any notable performance burst, however I replaced my HDD by  a
   >> SSD and this was a big performance improvement.

   > In most cases, adding a SSD is the best performance measure one can
   > apply to a given machine, as even the fastest HDD is usually still the
   > worst bottleneck. Once i tried my first SSD, i was completely hooked.
   > Now all my machines are using SSD's as their main drive, while the
   > former HDD's are used only for storage and backup purposes.

I presume that you do this with a external USB adapter? I thought to do
the same, but given that the prices for USB stick are dropping
dramatically I am not sure whether it is worth the effort.

   > Once you get used to it, it becomes pretty easy to disassemble and
   > reassemble a Thinkpadin order to replace a mainboard. Thanks to the very
   > detailed hardware maintenance manuals (HMM) provided by Lenovo for their
   > Thinkpads, and also for specific user provided Frankenpad guides, it is
   > in fact just a matter of reading comprehension and just doing it.

Is this somehow connected to certain BIOS upgrade for getting
performance bursts? Like the one described in
http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/459591-t61-x61-sata-ii-1-5-gb-s-cap-willing-pay-solution-8.html#post6501443

   > There even has grown a small crafts industry of people creating such
   > Frankenpads from older Thinkpads, but with a much better feature set
   > than those originally sold by Lenovo. Some even do this for a living.

Hm some weeks ago I wanted to buy a X1, since it looked like a very
attractive mixture between lightweight+13 inch screen+ssd, but to my
*horror* I found out that Lenovo had the brain-damaged idea to change
the keyboard. :'(

I don't mean that they changed the typing mechanism or the size of the
keys, no I mean the distribution is changed dramatically, important keys
are missing.

Since I am a touch typist using the same keyboard  for the last 15 years,
this is as close to disaster as it gets.

I don't think there is any hope that Lenovo will see reason and will
offer, at least, a Thinkpad with the classical keyboard. So I might be
forced to buy in the future second hand models and if high tuned even
better, so I might come back to you..... :-D

Uwe

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Paul Seelig-3
Oh, this is indeed strange...

What PRODUCT-ID or TYPE does your X60s have?

It is usually shown as a seven characters string on a sticker located in
approximately the middle of the back side of any Thinkpad. If there are
two seven character numbers shown, it is the one *not* ending in CTO.
Also, if the sticker is missing, one can see it on the first BIOS screen
as the first seven characters of the "System-unit serial number". Please
do not post the full number, as it contains sensible information, but
just the first seven characters.

One you know this number, using 2533-AJ1 as an example here, you should
be able to find the machine in the Lenovo MTM database as follows (for
me this only works in Firefox):

http://support1.lenovo.com/en_US/landing.page?qpq=2533-AJ1

This gives you something like this as output:

ThinkPad X60s (2533-AJ1)
Based on 2533-A5J: L2300(1.5GHz) 512MB RAM 30GB 4200rpm HD 12.1in
1024x768 LCD Intel 950 802.11abg wireless Modem 1Gb Ethernet Secure chip
IEEE 1394 Fingerprint reader 4c Li-Ion batt WinXP Pro

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Paul

On 11/14/2014 09:21 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>>> "Paul" == Paul Seelig <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>    > Try "dmidecode -t 4"
>
> I did that but did not find the output especially helpful:
>
> Handle 0x0006, DMI type 4, 35 bytes
> Processor Information
>         Socket Designation: None
>         Type: Central Processor
>         Family: Other
>         Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
>         ID: EC 06 00 00 FF FB E9 BF
>         Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU
>         Voltage: 1.2 V
>         External Clock: 167 MHz
>         Max Speed: 1667 MHz
>         Current Speed: 1667 MHz
>         Upgrade: None
>         L1 Cache Handle: 0x000A
>         L2 Cache Handle: 0x000C
>         L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
>         Serial Number: Not Specified
>         Asset Tag: Not Specified
>         Part Number: Not Specified
> I could not conclude that this was the evil processor you described
>

>    > or simply "cat /proc/cpuinfo" to get the full CPU
>
> Ok a bit better but still don't see the necessary information.
>
> Thanks
>
> Uwe

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Richard Neill-4

On 14/11/14 20:30, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I don't mean that they changed the typing mechanism or the size of the
> keys, no I mean the distribution is changed dramatically, important keys
> are missing.
>
> Since I am a touch typist using the same keyboard  for the last 15 years,
> this is as close to disaster as it gets.

Some of the keyboard layout changes aren't actually that bad, most of
the missing functions are still there (eg Sysrq, PrtSc etc, even
Caps-lock (double-tap on shift)). There's even one clear improvement:
Ctrl is now where it should be (bottom left corner), while Fn has been
moved out of the way. Also, although the key-travel is reduced, it's
actually nice to type on.

The real gotchas are:

1. That *horrible* LCD e-Ink / resistive touch-screen function key
replacement. It's annoying to have to mode-switch between Fn keys and
volume keys, especially as one can't feel where the keys are, and they
are really sluggish to respond to mode-changes or to actual keypresses..

2. The atrocious mess that is the clickpad: which requires far too much
force to operate it, and again is very awkward to use in trackpoint mode.

3. Lastly, if you get the touchscreen model, it's much less clear than
the non-touch versions: because the screen is more reflective as well as
less contrasty.

Best wishes,

Richard

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer-2
>> "Paul" == Paul Seelig <[hidden email]> writes:

   > Oh, this is indeed strange...
   > What PRODUCT-ID or TYPE does your X60s have?

1704-5UG

   > Please do not post the full number, as it contains sensible
   > information, but just the first seven characters.

Thanks for pointing this out.

   > One you know this number, using 2533-AJ1 as an example here, you should
   > be able to find the machine in the Lenovo MTM database as follows (for
   > me this only works in Firefox):

   > http://support1.lenovo.com/en_US/landing.page?qpq=2533-AJ1

   > This gives you something like this as output:

   > ThinkPad X60s (2533-AJ1)
   > Based on 2533-A5J: L2300(1.5GHz) 512MB RAM 30GB 4200rpm HD 12.1in
   > 1024x768 LCD Intel 950 802.11abg wireless Modem 1Gb Ethernet Secure chip
   > IEEE 1394 Fingerprint reader 4c Li-Ion batt WinXP Pro

So I obtain:

ThinkPad X60s (1704-5UG) Modify Clear
L2400(1.66GHz), 1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD, 12.1in 1024x768 LCD, Intel
950, Intel 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth/Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, Secure
chip, Fingerprint reader, 4c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro

Ok this is one of the processors described in the german wiki page
concerning the X60s.

Thanks again for this helpful information.

Uwe

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer-2
>> "Richard" == Richard Neill <[hidden email]> writes:

   > On 14/11/14 20:30, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   >> I don't mean that they changed the typing mechanism or the size of the
   >> keys, no I mean the distribution is changed dramatically, important keys
   >> are missing.
   >>
   >> Since I am a touch typist using the same keyboard  for the last 15 years,
   >> this is as close to disaster as it gets.
   >>

   > Some of the keyboard layout changes aren't actually that bad, most of
   > the missing functions are still there (eg Sysrq, PrtSc etc, even
   > Caps-lock (double-tap on shift)).

I never used CapsLock for me this was just a key which I
using xmodmap under linux  to the X modifier hyper.
   > There's even one clear improvement:
   > Ctrl is now where it should be (bottom left corner), while Fn has been
I beg to differ control should be where capslock was.

   > moved out of the way. Also, although the key-travel is reduced, it's
   > actually nice to type on.

I am using (X)emacs for more than 20 years (under Unix/Linux). I have
always switched the Caplock and control key, mapped the win key to super
modifier, caplock to the hyper hyper and bound all my emacs macros to
these modifies + fn keys+ print etc.

So having re arranged or removed theses keys  is a complete disaster for me, it
is like cutting of half my fingers.

   > The real gotchas are:

   > 1. That *horrible* LCD e-Ink / resistive touch-screen function key
   > replacement. It's annoying to have to mode-switch between Fn keys and
   > volume keys, especially as one can't feel where the keys are, and they
   > are really sluggish to respond to mode-changes or to actual
   > keypresses..

   > 2. The atrocious mess that is the clickpad: which requires far too
   > much force to operate it, and again is very awkward to use in
   > trackpoint mode.

   > 3. Lastly, if you get the touchscreen model, it's much less clear than
   > the non-touch versions: because the screen is more reflective as well
   > as less contrasty.

I hope lenovo will release at least one model with the classical
keyboard and sees what happens.. But realistically  that is very
unlikely.

Regards

Uwe

On 11/14/2014 09:30 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I presume that you do this with a external USB adapter? I thought to do
> the same, but given that the prices for USB stick are dropping
> dramatically I am not sure whether it is worth the effort.

One of the reasons i never bothered about the X models is the absence of
the UltraBay included with the larger T models. Typically, when sold,
the UltraBay is occupied with a nowadays rather useless optical drive.
Instead, lots of users use the Ultrabay either for a secondary battery
or HDD adapter, which can stay permanently installed if required. I
wouldn't really want to bother with USB sticks, given that the higher
capacity ones .

> Is this somehow connected to certain BIOS upgrade for getting
> performance bursts? Like the one described in
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/459591-t61-x61-sata-ii-1-5-gb-s-cap-willing-pay-solution-8.html#post6501443

This is a BIOS mod for Santa Rosa chipset based Thinkpads T61 and X61 to
release and enable the artifically limited SATA II capability of the
chipset. Unfortunately does not also apply to the former *60 Thinkpad
variation. I apply this BIOS to every T61 that goes through my hands.

Nonetheless, the performance boost is slightly overestimated in my
opionion. While it enables the full SATA II potential for transfer
speed, this is hardky what makes SSD's so attractive. The added benefit
and most important performance boost of SSD's is due to the superior
random access times, which are not subjet to any SATA speed level. Any
SATA I level Thinkpad will always tremendously benefit from those higher
random access times.

> attractive mixture between lightweight+13 inch screen+ssd, but to my
> *horror* I found out that Lenovo had the brain-damaged idea to change
> the keyboard. :'(

Not only this. They also sacrificed the very convenient UXGA IPS
displays of the 15" T60 models, which is one of the main reasons i
joined the Frankenpad builder league. For people like me, machines of
the T6* generation are already fast enough for my actual requirements
(which do not include Youtube or gaming), and i am not interested in any
newer Thinkpads missing the much more convenient display resolution and
keyboard options. Apparently, i am not alone. ;)

> I don't think there is any hope that Lenovo will see reason and will
> offer, at least, a Thinkpad with the classical keyboard. So I might be
> forced to buy in the future second hand models and if high tuned even
> better, so I might come back to you..... :-D

Feel free to contact me off list if the need arises.

Regards,
Paul

On 11/14/2014 10:44 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> "Richard" == Richard Neill <[hidden email]> writes:
> I never used CapsLock for me this was just a key which I using
> xmodmap under linux  to the X modifier hyper.
>> There's even one clear improvement: Ctrl is now where it should be
>> (bottom left corner), while Fn has been
> I beg to differ control should be where capslock was.

To each his own: I have always modified capslock into compose, in
order to be able easily typing foreign accented characters even while
using a standard US keyboard.

> I hope lenovo will release at least one model with the classical
> keyboard and sees what happens.. But realistically  that is very
> unlikely.

Since the keyboard always used to be a CRU (Customer Replaceable Unit)
in the past, it would already be sufficient if they offered their
customers an alternate keyboard option featuring a classical layout.

Someone should try to convince some chinese copy cat to produce and
offer such an alternative layout keyboard to make themselves very rich
really fast. And while they are at it, why not also produce an alternate
palm rest without that pointless touchpad and FPR ... ;)

Regards,
Paul

Re: X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh-2
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014, Paul Seelig wrote:
> Since the keyboard always used to be a CRU (Customer Replaceable Unit)
> in the past, it would already be sufficient if they offered their
> customers an alternate keyboard option featuring a classical layout.

This could work.

> Someone should try to convince some chinese copy cat to produce and
> offer such an alternative layout keyboard to make themselves very rich
> really fast. And while they are at it, why not also produce an alternate
> palm rest without that pointless touchpad and FPR ... ;)

This won't work.  The EC (embedded controller) is what handles the keyboard,
you will have to reprogram the EC if you do anything more complicated than
move keys around.

  Henrique Holschuh

[fstab: noatime?] (was: [ltp] X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit))

Uwe Brauer-2

   > On 11/14/2014 09:30 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[snip]

   > Nonetheless, the performance boost is slightly overestimated in my
   > opionion. While it enables the full SATA II potential for transfer
   > speed, this is hardky what makes SSD's so attractive. The added benefit
   > and most important performance boost of SSD's is due to the superior
   > random access times, which are not subjet to any SATA speed level. Any
   > SATA I level Thinkpad will always tremendously benefit from those higher
   > random access times.

BTW, I read that it is advisable to have the following setting in one's
fstab

UUID=blbla / jfs     nodiratime,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1

 nodiratime and noatime should prolong the life expectation of the SSD
without much performance loss.

What do you think?

Uwe

12